Our defense will be nasty in '09

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kodiak49er
  • Info N/A
can i get a h*ll yeah!
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by ace8016:
I qouldn't call it a huge disappointment. They did manage to finish like 13th in overall def.

Under Nolan they were

But under Coach Singletary and our DC Greg Manusky, Our defense ranked 4th in the league over the last 8 games in 2008!

As for help on the D-line in FA...What do you guys think of DT Rocky Bernard? He will come cheaper than Albert Haynesworth. Although I would hate to be Alex in practice, he may have flashbacks!

I'd prefer Haynesworth, if we don't get him, id rather look to the draft and just keep who we have.
Originally posted by saeniner:
Originally posted by bammer806:
Originally posted by tagliabue:
To be top five (Giants level) we'll need to drastically improve our pass rush. Let's hope we can land one or two studs in the draft. We won't sign Suggs or Peppers anyway and I don't think we should. We need to learn how to build within.

Next years draft looks very enticing from the defensive side of the ball. I'm drooling over a few of the names that will likely be available. THAT'S when we'll have a top 5 defense!

LIKE TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Like Eric Berry

i thought taylor mays was staying in school
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by saeniner:
Originally posted by bammer806:
Originally posted by tagliabue:
To be top five (Giants level) we'll need to drastically improve our pass rush. Let's hope we can land one or two studs in the draft. We won't sign Suggs or Peppers anyway and I don't think we should. We need to learn how to build within.

Next years draft looks very enticing from the defensive side of the ball. I'm drooling over a few of the names that will likely be available. THAT'S when we'll have a top 5 defense!

LIKE TAYLOR MAYS!!!

Like Eric Berry

i thought taylor mays was staying in school

he met for next yr. i dont wanna see mays wearing a 9ers jeresey dude is so overrated i'll take berry though
Originally posted by crzyafrican:
Our defense will suck until we get a defensive line and a pass rush. Period.

but our D doesn't suck now though.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by crzyafrican:
Our defense will suck until we get a defensive line and a pass rush. Period.

but our D doesn't suck now though.

exactly, how did our D "suck" during Singletary? they bailed us out of at least 2 games.
There are a few things that'll need to go into that...one is a better DL. Adding a Raji or Brace would help...as would a bookend DE to Justin Smith. Getting a pass rusher is very important...you need more than one guy who can do that. I like Haralson's development, but he's not enough. Fortunately, there are some really good players in the draft who can help...and some FA's, too. We also need a playmaker at FS...who can allow Clements and whoever's at the other starting CB position be aggressive knowing someone's got their backs. With 9 picks going into the draft, we'll need a good one...and according to McCloughan, we'll be among the top 10 teams under the cap. It's the combination of the two that's critical...to insure we bring in both veteran and rookie players to compete and make our team stronger. We've got to get the draft right...really right. If we do, then I'd agree our D has the chance to be aggressive and potentially nasty.
sign peppers
We haven't made any changes to our defense so far...FA, draft,etc. so not sure if it helps being overly optimistic.
Like Singletary keeps saying in all his interviews, you have to wait and watch. Our division is no longer the worst in the NFL...we have to fact a team that just played in the superbowl, a team that is being coached by a really good football mind(Spagnuolo) and Seattle can't be any worse than last year. Either way, it will be an interesting year.
Meh...
I'll wait for results before I get excited about this team in any way possible.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one whos been down this road before

As long as we add a dominant DT/DE in this offseason then we can be "nasty" and if not we will still be a top 10 D this year.
I haven't done any research but I do feel comfortable saying this. Soon, we will be a dominating top 5 defense.

From my memory only, I always recall that when a team has one of, if not THE best MLB in the league, the defense will become dominant sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I haven't done any research but I do feel comfortable saying this. Soon, we will be a dominating top 5 defense.

From my memory only, I always recall that when a team has one of, if not THE best MLB in the league, the defense will become dominant sooner rather than later.

thank god for PW.
Originally posted by valrod33:
sign peppers

I would love to see it, but I really doubt it, unfortunately.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by valrod33:
sign peppers

I would love to see it, but I really doubt it, unfortunately.

I think when it comes to a player like this, a top salary is worth it if you can afford it. He will still produce 3 years from now and 3 years from now, his salary won't be the top salary and we will be just fine.
Share 49ersWebzone