There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why hasn't Roman been cut yet?

Originally posted by ads_2006:
from sando's blog

'Mark Roman, free safety. The 49ers have already benched him and let him seek trade opportunities. There were no takers."

See the rest of the league thinks he's not good either.
that reminds me of Thomas Clayton. Nobody wants him because he sucks.
Originally posted by ezrider:
that reminds me of Thomas Clayton. Nobody wants him because he sucks.

but but but he's a BEAST! Cut M Rob, Coffee was a wasted pick we have CLAYTON!

Why hasn't Roman been cut yet?

1) Keep Roman as depth.
2) ??
3) Profit!

But really, since no team has shown interest in trading for him, his feelings are probably hurt and should stay as back-up or risk being unemployed. I can imagine his agent making a push for any team to sign Roman...

Agent: "My client gives up the long ball often, but not all the time. And he's good at sometimes deflecting passes, but doesn't know how to get INTs. He's getting better w/ age and is the QB of the defense. I think he's worth trading away at least a 2nd rd pick to get this premier player on your team, what do ya think?"

NFL Teams: *hangs up phone*
They're keeping Roman to press the youngsters to get smart faster it camp. As soon as the coaches thinks there is a youngster who gets the game enough he'll be in. Can't do it on skill alone.
Originally posted by GoreIsABoss415:
I can't wait to celebrate the day when both Roman and JTO' Suck on B***s are cut......It will be a glorious day

I dont know if someone already corrected you but JTO is a Bengal now!
  • Slothrop
  • Info N/A
You guys know that Goldson/Roman/Smith are just place holders until next season when Eric Berry becomes our FS, right?
Mark Roman is gonna play out the last year of his contract he will be a 900k backup

its on rotoworld
The fact that the 49ers benched Roman but didn't release him shows that while the team wants to improve the play at free safety it's not sure Goldston can get the job done. In other words, they are worried Roman's replacement will be even worse.
Originally posted by Mister49:
Originally posted by GoreIsABoss415:
I can't wait to celebrate the day when both Roman and JTO' Suck on B***s are cut......It will be a glorious day

I dont know if someone already corrected you but JTO is a Bengal now!

That comment was posted in January. This thread is OOOOOOLLLLLD.
Goldson merely needs to stay healthy...he's got the playmaking skills we've missed at FS in recent years. However, he doesn't have a lot of experience...so keeping Roman, who has lots of it, makes sense. Dashon can learn a lot from him...in terms of setting the defense, knowing how to position himself, etc. Depth is important everywhere, but particularly so at FS. Rookie Curtis Taylor has playmaking skills...but is on the raw side and needs coaching up. He could end up on the PS. That's why Roman hasn't been and won't be cut...
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
49ers' Mark Roman Decides to Play Out Contract
Monday, June 01, 2009
Posted By Albert Breer 2:03 PM
San Francisco 49ers safety Mark Roman reported to the team today and plans to play out the final year of his contract, after receiving permission to seek a trade earlier in the offseason.

Roman sought the trade because the club planned to promote second-year safety Dashon Goldson to play next to Michael Lewis in the secondary. But Roman has decided to stay in San Francisco in more of a nickel back-type role, with plans to test free agency in 2010.

Roman, 32, had offseason surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankle.

Coach Mike Singletary said last week, "There was never a time we said, ‘We don't want Mark, he doesn't matter to us.' We want him and we're very interested in keeping him. And that's not something that's a secret to him."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/24938/49ers_mark_roman_decides_to_play_out_contract_
I'm glad to have Roman for another year mentoring the young guys. He knows his role now, which can be used as a motivative tool.
Why?

I know, I know, because he's the second-string safety?
New nickname is "Toast"