There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Opinion on Manny Lawson

Originally posted by baldheadnut:
this will be Manny's defining season

I don't think it will be his defining season because I think he is already an established player for our defense.

He is not flashy, and it's unlikely that he will ever gain pro-bowl considerations. But when it comes to game time, I wouldn't trust any other LB more to cover a TE or a RB (no, not even Willis).

And for those who still hope that he wil become a pass-rushing threat, forget it. That ship has sailed. We aimed at a great pass-rusher and instead ended up with a terrific covering OLB. It's not so bad, really.
Originally posted by Brazillian49er:

I don't think it will be his defining season because I think he is already an established player for our defense.

He is not flashy, and it's unlikely that he will ever gain pro-bowl considerations. But when it comes to game time, I wouldn't trust any other LB more to cover a TE or a RB (no, not even Willis).

And for those who still hope that he wil become a pass-rushing threat, forget it. That ship has sailed. We aimed at a great pass-rusher and instead ended up with a terrific covering OLB. It's not so bad, really.

So why do they take him out on passing downs if he is so good in coverage.
Originally posted by susweel:

Beats me. Thas my main criticism of Manusky.
If Manny comes back healthy next year it will make the defense much better ...he is one of our better younger defensive players and will only improve ...hopefully another OLB is added because TBC was not the player we paid for !!!
He will be a late bloomer, a very very good late bloomer, trust me. He has all the things you look for, work ethic, insane speed, intelligence, etc.

To be effective as a pash rusher, he needs to put some more bulk on to take on tackles and work on his hands in pash rushing situations.
Good player, but really just another guy in the NFL. I wouldn't put all my hopes & prayers on him turning into some kind of superstar.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Good player, but really just another guy in the NFL. I wouldn't put all my hopes & prayers on him turning into some kind of superstar.

Time will tell DJ.....I just think he is being misused...like a lot of our guys...
Manny Lawson is not the player(pass-rusher) we expected. Not yet. His play will improve next season after coming back from knee reconstruction. Will he ever be the pass rusher (peterson replacement) we need? Well that is another possibility. He is however, a very good (fast) OLB in coverage. IMHO, I don't believe that he was put in a position to succeed in Nolan's scheme before the injury. Manny is good enough in his coverage skills to keep. Pass rush? Shoot, when is the last time we had one? Not since the 4-3 with Barker, Stubby, BY, and Doleman.
  • gpat52
  • Info N/A
In no way, shape, or form is Manny a bust. He was finally finding his rythym this year. If anything, he needs to be on the field more.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Manny Lawson does everything outside of rushing the passer very good.

I never understood this.One of the primary reasons Manny was drafted was because looking at scout film on Mario Williams they kept seeing Lawson in the backfield getting pressure. We bring him to the NFL and after ONE SEASON he is labeled a "bust" as a pass rusher. Personally I think our coaching staff gave up on him a little too early.

Even Elite passrushers aren't much of a factor their first season. His second season he played two games and tore his ACL. His third season he played half the season in the BIG SUB and hardly saw the field. I have a hard time believing that a player who can block field goals can't rush the passer given enough practice and chances.

So why do we assume he can't do it?
Manny is the weak on the defense. He does not fit the scheme at all.

Sorry but you got it all wrong
Originally posted by Super5:

Maybe but maybe not. Everyone wants to replace Parys with a guy who compliments Manny, but Parys is the one who gets more sacks and is the more reliable player. Both players get sacks in Pittsburgh's 3-4 and rush the passer a lot so don't just say "well we need a coverage OLB!" because that's not necessarily true. I like Manny a lot and I think he deserves a chance to prove he's just playing badly because of the injury but maybe he just doesn't fit our team. When he came back in the 2nd half of the season he did have a few sacks though and TFLs so who knows.
people use the stupid excuse that manny can't pass rush that well because he is mostly covering TEs, and doesn't get a chance to rush the QB.

Ever since sing took over, and manny was on the field, he rusehd the passer and covered TEs. sing had him at OLB, rushing the QBs, as a DE, rushing the qb. in both situations, he was getting owned, could not get a push on the OTs.

so, if you don't believe me, go back and look at all the games since sing took over, and notice hom many times manny was put into a situation to rush the QB, and how manhy times he failed.

he sucks at rushing the passer, and is a little above average in coverage, and pretty good in run support. nothing to write home about.

Beats me. Thas my main criticism of Manusky.

where does your assumption of him being reilable in pass coverage come from?

1 int 2 years ago? or something else?
  • gpat52
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Super5: