LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Eric Heitmann is a Good Football Player

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Abominable Snowman Exists! Bigfoot is Alive and Well! Hilary Clinton Gave Birth to an Alien! The Moon has Turned to Blood! Eric Heitmann is not a Good Football Player!

All of the above statements are myths, and yet, there are far too many people on this board (there are about 7 or 8 in one active thread right now) that seem to have blindly accepted the last "fact". So, I have taken on, as nearly a full-time profession, to dispell one the silliest myths in Webzone history, that Eric Heitmann is not a good football player and needs to be replaced.

Here is the truth, no matter how much some may personally hate it: Eric Heitmann is having a very good football season.

I believed this weekend would be an excellent opportunity to isolate and analyze his play, so I tracked his every down (I only took bathroom breaks when the Niners were on defense) against Dallas NT Jay Ratliff, who is considered one of the finest interior defenders in the NFL. Ratliff led all 3-4 NT's around the league with 6 sacks going into the Niners' game. He ranks 20th overall in the NFL in sacks, and is 3rd overall for all DT's in the NFL.
Here were comments or thoughts by coaches, broadcasters and journalists about Ratliff going into the Niners' game against Heitmann:
* Mike Martz stated last week that Ratliff was the best pass rusher from NT position he has ever seen.
* John Madden put him on the horse trailer as his player of the game against the Redskins.
*Many believe Ratliff is a Pro-Bowl candidate.

So, I tracked all 53 snaps of the game, in the matchup between Ratliff and Heitmann. I listed the down, the yards to go, whether Heitmann doubled on Ratliff with another guard, or handled him by himself. I marked down the direction of the block. And, finally, I listed whether he won the battle against Ratliff by pushing him out of the way, stopping his rush, etc.

Here is what I found: Heitmann excelled on 50 of 53 snaps. The three situations where I counted his play as a loss:
1) On the four yard line, at the 49 second mark left in the first quarter, on a 2nd and goal. Heitmann and Baas were to double Ratiliff, but did not get enough leverage to completely clean him out of the play. Ratliff gets an arm on Gore, but Thomas does most of the work coming through the middle. Play went for zero yards.
2) The next play, on third and goal, where Ratliff ran untouched into the backfield and Hill threw an incompletion. On the play, Heitmann went directly after the other DT Canty at the snap. Rachal blocked Spears, and Ratliff was unaccounted for. This may have been Heitmann's error, but it also may have been Rachal's. I'm guessing Rachal, but will count the miscommunication on Heitmann, just for the sake of argument.
3) The fumble with Hill. Now, Hill has already come out and said it was the QB's fault. Whether this is the truth, or if Hill is simply falling on the sword, we will never know. I will still count this against Heitmann.

The other 50 snaps, Heitmann played extremely well. In fact, Ratliff is nowhere near Hill the rest of the game. He is not pressured once by Ratliff. Ratliff does not make a tackle behind the line of scrimmage. Ratliff does not break the line of scrimmage beyond the one pressure. Ratliff finishes with 2 solo tackles (one of his two solo tackles was made on a three yard run by Gore at the 9:05 mark in the second...and Heitmann drove Ratliff off the ball on the play) and 1 assisted (previously mentioned), and the sole pressure mentioned before. He would not have made the horse trailer, he would not be considered a Pro-Bowl candidate, he would be considered average at the end of this game. In fact, on most pass plays, Ratliff, matched one on one with Heitmann, is barely in the screen when Hill throws the ball.

And after playing at a high level against one of the better NFC defensive linemen, he is garbage and needs to be replaced? I'm searching for some sign of intelligence in these statements.

I am challenging any skeptic, who has the ability to be objective, to review the tape, and grade him yourself, instead of simply accepting this ridiculous board myth than Heitmann is a problem, and should be sat.

There is no Bigfoot, there is no Abominable Snowman, and I am once and for slaying the silly myth than Heitmann is a problem.

I call on the skeptics of the board to take the challenge. Watch the tape yourself, and then come back to the board and join me in crushing this silliness.

I thought I would spare the board my entire description of the 53 offensive plays, but if someone wants to know about a particular play, or down, please let me know.

Now, can we to another subject, like benching Patrick Willis. Or cutting Manny Lawson. Or taking away Joe Montana's Super Bowl rings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: In order to prove how bad Heitmann has played this season, please check out the third page of this post, on the link that gives the stats for the Niners' running game. It may "shock and awe" you. Cheers.

And how many yards did Frank Gore have?
Originally posted by 09etihW:
A breakdown from MM:

"If I had to rank their performances based on this game, from best to worst, I'd go: Heitmann, Staley, Baas, Rachal and Snyder."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/11/closer-look-at-o-line-play-against-dallas.html

On that 3rd and goal, Heitmann got blown up. Ask Alex about that. LA is equally to blame on the Bernard play.

Heitmann is a smart guy. He is technically sound. However, when he gets blown up it is obvious and at bad time.

I don't know why there are 6 pages defending the guy. He's no Randy Cross or Jesse Sapolu or Newberry.

[ Edited by wysiwyg on Nov 27, 2008 at 11:02:31 ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
A breakdown from MM:

"If I had to rank their performances based on this game, from best to worst, I'd go: Heitmann, Staley, Baas, Rachal and Snyder."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/11/closer-look-at-o-line-play-against-dallas.html

On that 3rd and goal, Heitmann got blown up. Ask Alex about that. LA is equally to blame on the Bernard play.

Heitmann is a smart guy. He is technically sound. However, when he gets blown up it is obvious and at bad time.

I don't know why there are 6 pages defending the guy. He's no Randy Cross or Jesse Sapolu or Newberry.

Heitmann is Garbage!
He should be cut after season!
He is a good player, and if the guards around him were beefier and stronger and were able to blow people off the line on short yardage, he'd be fine. But he is not strong enough to move anyone. So if you want to know why we can't score in the red zone on short yardage, that is why. We have 3 finesse lightweights on the interiror line.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Heitmann is Garbage!

That would cost us because our dumbass organization gave his scrubby ass an extension.
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
He is a good player, and if the guards around him were beefier and stronger and were able to blow people off the line on short yardage, he'd be fine. But he is not strong enough to move anyone. So if you want to know why we can't score in the red zone on short yardage, that is why. We have 3 finesse lightweights on the interiror line.

Lightweights yes, finesse ? Do not make me laugh. These guys could not finesse thier way on anything. We do not have a top O-line coach, and that hurts just as much as the average talent the players have.
A breakdown from MM:

Look, I'm not a Heitmann fan, but I am a fan of the truth. Heitmann did NOT get "blown up" on that third down play. He blocked left to double team the DE with Bass. Rachal went right and Ratliff went up the middle untouched. That is obvious miscommunication.
Originally posted by Watchutalkinbout:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Heitmann is Garbage!

That would cost us because our dumbass organization gave his scrubby ass an extension.

Are you serious?
Another reason NoWin is GONE!
WOW! That's a horrendous move!
A breakdown from MM:

Look, I'm not a Heitmann fan, but I am a fan of the truth. Heitmann did NOT get "blown up" on that third down play. He blocked left to double team the DE with Bass. Rachal went right and Ratliff went up the middle untouched. That is obvious miscommunication.

Of which it is crucial that the center must make sure that he gets the message out to the line about the assigned blocking scheme for the play. The guy is over rated. He has been the starter here long enough to at the least have the proper technique downpat, amongst other things he fails at.

A breakdown from MM:

Yup and as the Center you are the captain. That should not happen. Especially when he knows Rachal is a rookie. Heitmann always makes mistakes and is not a winner or leader. Heitmann is garbage
Originally posted by moopoo:
A breakdown from MM:

Of which it is crucial that the center must make sure that he gets the message out to the line about the assigned blocking scheme for the play. The guy is over rated. He has been the starter here long enough to at the least have the proper technique downpat, amongst other things he fails at.

So you're assuming that Heitmann (a six year starter) failed to communicate, and the ROOKIE right guard is exempt from blame?

A breakdown from MM:

So you're assuming that Heitmann (a six year starter) failed to communicate, and the ROOKIE right guard is exempt from blame?

No doubt! Heitmann is a center it's his responsibility to let the guys know and recognize blitzes which he fails miserably every time. Why is he double teaming anyway? Is he scared to block? Bass can handle his own.
A breakdown from MM:

So, you are assuming that the Center did a great job on the play , and did everything text perfect ? He is the Captain, and should make sure everyone is on the same page. Sapolu,Cross, andNewberry, guys like those are far superior to what Heitman offers us. We have above averagePAY, for a slightly below average center.
A breakdown from MM:

So, you are assuming that the Center did a great job on the play , and did everything text perfect ? He is the Captain, and should make sure everyone is on the same page. Sapolu,Cross, andNewberry, guys like those are far superior to what Heitman offers us. We have above averagePAY, for a slightly below average center.

The most LIKELY scenario is that the ROOKIE made a mistake! Making the right call is easy, but it's the other guys job to understand it and execute it. Rachal is a ROOKIE starting his first game in a pressure situation, so he probably made a mistake.

So, have you abandoned you're orignal theory that Heitmann "got blown up?" LOL.
Share 49ersWebzone