There are 289 users in the forums

Eric Heitmann is a Good Football Player

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As opposed to usually, this has been an excellent give and take, about the crux of the problem affecting our team today(and for last 7 yrs besides, with exception of the LA/ JJ blocking machine that got frank almost 1700 yds, 2 yrs ago). With that one exception , that one yr of JJ/LA moving people out of the way, and frank not far behind, usually 3 yds past LOS before he came in contact with any defender, we have had inferior OL play matched only by our horrid DL play.

My hat is off to Dog for his forceful defense of heitmann, who sometime past he admitted wasn't really even one of his favorite players. i said before, and say again. Heitmann is a good player. Same can be said for rags, snyder, and baas. But they are not GREAT. None of them is that machine that gets out there and just blasts people out of the way, like the film of chilo at USC and his pancake blocks. i sure wish and hope that translates to the pros, because it would be a godsend if chilo can bring that magic to the 49ers. But as for the other 4 guys mentioned above, there is no superhuman, no guy who is guaranteed to get that 1-3 yds when we just have to have it. All 4 guys are serviceable. All four guys can play. My point has been that whereas they are good players, they certainly aren't great.

Unfortunately this is the nfl, and you have to have great players to compete. None of baas, heitmann, rags, nor snyder have proven to be great. They are serviceable, say enough to get us 3, 4 , 5, heck, maybe even 7 wins once in a while. But whereas good players are fine, great linemen are what win games. It has been said before, when you need that 1-2 yds, you KNOW your OL will blast thru and get it. We don't have that. We have good players on the OL. But good tho they may be, they aren't good enough. And that is just a plain old ugly fact. It is why, we need 3 starters on OL who are better than baas, heitmann, rags, and snyder. All those guys should be terrific backups. But we need terrific starters. Staley and Chilo may be 2 of those guys, but it is still too early to tell. As for the other 4, there has been sufficient time, and our OL has not got that guaranteed push that is the difference between playing well and playing great.

True, heitmann i think is just not what he was prior to injury, and i would say same goes for baas. Nonetheless, the product our OL produces is inadequate. We need better, substantially better. Between FA and draft, i would hope for one, perhaps 2 outstanding OLs, and yes, i would loved to have gotten faneca, but we didn't because he wasn't an OT, and hence didn't deserve the kind of $ (OT $) that faneca got. That was a bold blatant screw up on scot's or noln's part, or both. That is the kind of guy we need on the OL. Fact is we need 3 of them.

Between heitmann, snyder, rags, and baas, i think we have one serviceable starter. Unfortunately, those guys are the mainstays of our OL. Look at our record, look at us in the red zone, look at us in 3rd and one. They aren't good enough. Sorry Dog.
, and i am truly saddened for the 49ers and fans. Without that great OL we are doomed to another 5 -6 Ws (or less) AGAIN. It has to stop. Someone has to take this OL and reconstruct it. Good won't get it...great will. And that is where we are.
Originally posted by moopoo:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here's one more myth
MadDog49er is a good NFL evaluator

Take the challenge. Dare to embrace the truth.

Frank Gore
Att Yds Avg Lng TD
@ DAL L 22-35 14 26 1.9 7 0

2-4-DAL 4 (:49) 21-F.Gore up the middle to DAL 4 for no gain (90-J.Ratliff; 55-Z.Thomas).
3-8-SF 3 (9:05) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 3 for no gain (90-J.Ratliff).

HUGE play!! inside the 5 you need to move the pile

and the play where Ratliff went untouched is all on Heitmann. He sets up the blocking assignments.
It's not like he hasn't done that before (see: Alex Smith injury)

The second play you listed was from the Niners's 3 yard line, not the Dallas 3 yard line. And, it was a 3rd and 8 play. Not a 3rd and goal.

I already chronicled the first play you listed as one of his weakest plays of the game.

The bias against Heitmann is out of control. Nobody every seems to blame Wragge, Baas, Snyder in short line situation. It is always the guy snapping the ball to the center. If someone can explain why none of the other guys get mentioned in this lack of surge, I would appreciate it.

I think you have a biased opinion of Heitman is out of control too. Because I can not see the game again, I will DVR the rest of them. But I do know that though Heitman has decent highlights at part of his game, he is not a good center because he does not win the battles that he should consistently. and he always has been that way, nothing changed. A sporadic good play now and then is not going to help the team win against the better teams of the NFL, bet on it. As you even say, they were backed up against their own goal line, and he failed when it counted the most, that always has been the history with him. All of the decent plays in between means nothing when you can not count on him, when you need it the most.

And next week, you will be shocked to see how well he plays the game. Trust me. He is very good.

As I stated earlier, he is one of the best DT's in the NFL, and for almost the entire game, Ratliff was neutralized.

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=RAT586227
WOW HE'S A MONSTER
HOW CAN ANYONE CONTAIN HIM!!!!

That guy is a below waverage NT. His sats are not even better than our own NTs. The Cardinals shut his arse out , he had zilch

Ratliff is a very good NT. His stats are great too! I would take him over ANY of our Dlineman...including Smith. Watch him play and you'll see
Why must you feel the need to defend this bozo? He's bad so is our entire O-line.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Heitmann is better than either Baas or Rachal, and yet I have not seen criticism of either of the two guards in this game, or virtually any game.

These two are the golden children, who can do no wrong. Give up 5 sacks in a game? It doesn't matter, let's talk about the two times Heitmann did not lift his opponent through the goal post.

This is the silly "board favoritism" that makes our board a joke. There are probably about 5 objective analysts who write on this board, and the rest are so biased that they find other players who outplay their "superstar" on a weekly basis, and beat the drum for the center's removal day and night. This is plain and simple foolishness.

Where are all the "Baas should be replaced with Wallace" threads? Where are the, and heaven forbid if this ever happened, "Rachel should be benched for an unproven 4th round draft choice that has never been activated for one NFL game".

The inequity, and partisan viewpoints, are completely out of control. And I will whack them day and night until it ends.

Just this week, Barrows, in his blog, said that Heitmann is having one of the finest seasons of his career. I tend to believe him, since he actually talks to coaches, scouts, etc. I tend to believe the stat showing the Niners run efficiency up the middle as NUMBER 3 in the NFL.

MATCHUP TO WATCH

49ers center Eric Heitmann vs. Cowboys nose tackle Jay Ratliff

49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz says Ratliff is the best pass rusher from the nose-tackle position he's ever seen. The statistics back up that claim. Ratliff has six sacks on the season – more than any 49er – and leads the Cowboys' defensive linemen in tackles. On the other side of the line is Heitmann, one of the 49ers' three team captains. The center, a native of Katy, Texas, is having one of the best seasons of his career.

Heitmann Having One of the Best Seasons of His Career

I tend to believe that after watching more than 50 snaps on this Sunday, in which Ratliff, one of the best young DT's in the NFL, is dominated for the vast majority of the game, that even though Heitmann did not pancake his opponents at the goal line, which very few centers around the league do, he did a good overall job in the game.

Meanwhile, Singletary declares that Rachal had a bad game. And the board response: Crickets. Baas had a bad game? Crickets. It is solely Heitmann's fault. That is a joke. Admit it. This is a joke, and a bad one. Heitmann allows no sacks. No mention. He still sucks. Joke. Joke. Joke. Hill stinks at the goal line, cannot throw a completion. Crickets. It is all Heitmann's fault. Moronic logic.

If I did a power ranking of my "favorite" 49ers before this season began, Heitmann would not be high on the list. I generally do not get excited about centers. But after hearing all of this mindless drivel for over three months now, I decided to watch his play, and compare it with other centers around the league. Since I go to a sports bar every Sunday, with 6 TV's in front of me, I have the opportunity to watch centers every week. Let me tell you, those who are skeptics. Heitmann is doing just fine.

So, he doesn't lift guys off the ground, and throw them through the goal posts. Who else on our line does? What other center in the league does this? Why is it always Heitmann, who alone is supposed to be the strongman of the group? He is always singlehandedly picked on whenever the Niners' offense struggles, and this is a farce.

I have never said Heitmann is perfect. But he is very good at what he does, and to state it any other way is a joke.

I will ask the skeptics again. Watch the tape. Read what coaches have to say. Look at the stats. Remove your biases.

Wallace? Wragge? Baas at center? What are you guys smoking? That is a flat out joke.

Wow! Look at Baas push the guy down the field. I'll just ignore the fact that he allowed three sacks in the game, because he is a "mauler".

Here is what Maiocco said about Heitmann versus Ratliff pre-game:
C Eric Heitmann vs. NT Jay Ratliff: Heitmann will not be able to handle Ratliff alone, so he'll need to have good communication with guards David Baas and rookie Chilo Rachal. You can bet Ratliff will want to take advantage of Rachal's inexperience to split those double-team blocks. Ratliff has been outstanding this season, racking up six sacks on the season. He had two sacks and three QB pressures last week against the Redskins.

Maiocco's Pre-Game Thoughts on Heitmann versus Ratliff

Note: 3-4 NT's get doubled a lot. So, don't throw down the "if he was a star, he'd always single him" card. That would be silly. The miscommunication between Heitmann and Rachal led to the one and only pressure by Ratliff in the game. Much better performance than the 2 sacks and 3 pressures performance of the week before.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Ratliff hasn't had a good year this year, why don't you bring up what he did against the Giants, Eagles, Cards, with all those blitzes he allowed up the middle, I want to see you trying to talk out of that one.

Heitmann is a decent center that is all, he's not good, but also not bad, he's servicible, leave it at that, Baas has played way better than Heitmann has, and as far as Rachal goes, he started 1 game, wtf are you talking about golden child, sorry im getting so offensive towards you, but this is just obscene, ooooh wow he had one good game against Ratliff, lets send him to the f**king pro bowl.

When he gets a push up the middle when it's thrid and short, or we running the ball at the goaline (be it ours or theirs) and when he does this with more consistency, I will jump back on the Heitmann bandwagon, he was good for 2 years, get over him please.

A simple one minute Google search will show about 40 articles saying Ratliff is having a great year.

Come back to planet earth.
  • WildTurkey
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by saniner:
Here's one more myth
MadDog49er is a good NFL evaluator

Take the challenge. Dare to embrace the truth.

Frank Gore
Att Yds Avg Lng TD
@ DAL L 22-35 14 26 1.9 7 0

2-4-DAL 4 (:49) 21-F.Gore up the middle to DAL 4 for no gain (90-J.Ratliff; 55-Z.Thomas).
3-8-SF 3 (9:05) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 3 for no gain (90-J.Ratliff).

HUGE play!! inside the 5 you need to move the pile

and the play where Ratliff went untouched is all on Heitmann. He sets up the blocking assignments.
It's not like he hasn't done that before (see: Alex Smith injury)

The second play you listed was from the Niners's 3 yard line, not the Dallas 3 yard line. And, it was a 3rd and 8 play. Not a 3rd and goal.

I already chronicled the first play you listed as one of his weakest plays of the game.

The bias against Heitmann is out of control. Nobody every seems to blame Wragge, Baas, Snyder in short line situation. It is always the guy snapping the ball to the center. If someone can explain why none of the other guys get mentioned in this lack of surge, I would appreciate it.

I think you have a biased opinion of Heitman is out of control too. Because I can not see the game again, I will DVR the rest of them. But I do know that though Heitman has decent highlights at part of his game, he is not a good center because he does not win the battles that he should consistently. and he always has been that way, nothing changed. A sporadic good play now and then is not going to help the team win against the better teams of the NFL, bet on it. As you even say, they were backed up against their own goal line, and he failed when it counted the most, that always has been the history with him. All of the decent plays in between means nothing when you can not count on him, when you need it the most.

And next week, you will be shocked to see how well he plays the game. Trust me. He is very good.

As I stated earlier, he is one of the best DT's in the NFL, and for almost the entire game, Ratliff was neutralized.

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=RAT586227
WOW HE'S A MONSTER
HOW CAN ANYONE CONTAIN HIM!!!!

That guy is a below waverage NT. His sats are not even better than our own NTs. The Cardinals shut his arse out , he had zilch

Ratliff is a very good NT. His stats are great too! I would take him over ANY of our Dlineman...including Smith. Watch him play and you'll see

He is good but he doesn't light up every center
He has never taken over a game
but he is young and has potential
  • JediNiner
  • Info N/A
Ratliff is good yet one of the lightest NTs in the NFL. Okay, Heitmann can handle his own weight. Ratliff also benefits from DEs and OLBs who command the double-teams, rather than the traditional NT role of freeing up DEs. He's often isolated.

Watch the games where defenses repeatedly bum-rushed Heitmann, over-whelmed the Niners' G-C-G, crushed the pocket. It's pitiful.
I got two words to help our O-line next year-

ANDRE SMITH
Heitmann is better than either Baas or Rachal, and yet I have not seen criticism of either of the two guards in this game, or virtually any game.

These two are the golden children, who can do no wrong. Give up 5 sacks in a game? It doesn't matter, let's talk about the two times Heitmann did not lift his opponent through the goal post.

This is the silly "board favoritism" that makes our board a joke. There are probably about 5 objective analysts who write on this board, and the rest are so biased that they find other players who outplay their "superstar" on a weekly basis, and beat the drum for the center's removal day and night. This is plain and simple foolishness.

Where are all the "Baas should be replaced with Wallace" threads? Where are the, and heaven forbid if this ever happened, "Rachel should be benched for an unproven 4th round draft choice that has never been activated for one NFL game".

The inequity, and partisan viewpoints, are completely out of control. And I will whack them day and night until it ends.

Just this week, Barrows, in his blog, said that Heitmann is having one of the finest seasons of his career. I tend to believe him, since he actually talks to coaches, scouts, etc. I tend to believe the stat showing the Niners run efficiency up the middle as NUMBER 3 in the NFL.

MATCHUP TO WATCH

49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz says Ratliff is the best pass rusher from the nose-tackle position he's ever seen. The statistics back up that claim. Ratliff has six sacks on the season – more than any 49er – and leads the Cowboys' defensive linemen in tackles. On the other side of the line is Heitmann, one of the 49ers' three team captains. The center, a native of Katy, Texas, is having one of the best seasons of his career.

I tend to believe that after watching more than 50 snaps on this Sunday, in which Ratliff, one of the best young DT's in the NFL, is dominated for the vast majority of the game, that even though Heitmann did not pancake his opponents at the goal line, which very few centers around the league do, he did a good overall job in the game.

Meanwhile, Singletary declares that Rachal had a bad game. And the board response: Crickets. Baas had a bad game? Crickets. It is solely Heitmann's fault. That is a joke. Admit it. This is a joke, and a bad one. Heitmann allows no sacks. No mention. He still sucks. Joke. Joke. Joke. Hill stinks at the goal line, cannot throw a completion. Crickets. It is all Heitmann's fault. Moronic logic.

If I did a power ranking of my "favorite" 49ers before this season began, Heitmann would not be high on the list. I generally do not get excited about centers. But after hearing all of this mindless drivel for over three months now, I decided to watch his play, and compare it with other centers around the league. Since I go to a sports bar every Sunday, with 6 TV's in front of me, I have the opportunity to watch centers every week. Let me tell you, those who are skeptics. Heitmann is doing just fine.

So, he doesn't lift guys off the ground, and throw them through the goal posts. Who else on our line does? What other center in the league does this? Why is it always Heitmann, who alone is supposed to be the strongman of the group? He is always singlehandedly picked on whenever the Niners' offense struggles, and this is a farce.

I have never said Heitmann is perfect. But he is very good at what he does, and to state it any other way is a joke.

I will ask the skeptics again. Watch the tape. Read what coaches have to say. Look at the stats. Remove your biases.

Wallace? Wragge? Baas at center? What are you guys smoking? That is a flat out joke.

Wow! Look at Baas push the guy down the field. I'll just ignore the fact that he allowed three sacks in the game, because he is a "mauler".

C Eric Heitmann vs. NT Jay Ratliff: Heitmann will not be able to handle Ratliff alone, so he'll need to have good communication with guards David Baas and rookie Chilo Rachal. You can bet Ratliff will want to take advantage of Rachal's inexperience to split those double-team blocks. Ratliff has been outstanding this season, racking up six sacks on the season. He had two sacks and three QB pressures last week against the Redskins.

Note: 3-4 NT's get doubled a lot. So, don't throw down the "if he was a star, he'd always single him" card. That would be silly. The miscommunication between Heitmann and Rachal led to the one and only pressure by Ratliff in the game. Much better performance than the 2 sacks and 3 pressures performance of the week before.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Ratliff hasn't had a good year this year, why don't you bring up what he did against the Giants, Eagles, Cards, with all those blitzes he allowed up the middle, I want to see you trying to talk out of that one.

Heitmann is a decent center that is all, he's not good, but also not bad, he's servicible, leave it at that, Baas has played way better than Heitmann has, and as far as Rachal goes, he started 1 game, wtf are you talking about golden child, sorry im getting so offensive towards you, but this is just obscene, ooooh wow he had one good game against Ratliff, lets send him to the f**king pro bowl.

When he gets a push up the middle when it's thrid and short, or we running the ball at the goaline (be it ours or theirs) and when he does this with more consistency, I will jump back on the Heitmann bandwagon, he was good for 2 years, get over him please.

A simple one minute Google search will show about 40 articles saying Ratliff is having a great year.

Yeah, just like there's 40 articles saying how great Heitmann is.
  • WildTurkey
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Watchutalkinbout:

MATCHUP TO WATCH

Yeah, just like there's 40 articles saying how great Heitmann is.

• Pintor49
  • Info N/A
Heitaman SUCKS!!

2009 FA Signing 4-3 defense

QB Matt Cassell, DE Terell Suggs, DT Tank Johnson, LB LeRoy Hill, CB Chris Gamble

Draft

1st OT
2nd C Alex Mack or Jonathan Luigs or (OG)Duke Robinson (Ok) or Herman Joshnson (LSU) and move Baas to C
3rd DE Middleton (Indiana), Evans (Penn St)
4th CB Frances (San Jose St)
5th CB Move Reggie Smith to (SS)
6th WR
7th LB

• WildTurkey
  • Info N/A
Quote:
Q: As hard as Jay Ratliff plays and his ability to get to the quarterback, do you believe his not being the prototypical nose tackle is the reason for the Cowboys' deficiency in stopping the run? I have seen numerous times when he gets doubled and is pushed out of the gap, and that starts a whole host of problems with gap responsibility. I think they need to address next year and put Ratliff at defensive end.

John T. Gold, Salt Lake City

TAYLOR: This is a good question. Let's take it in segments. The reason the Cowboys occasionally struggle against the run is that they play undisciplined football. Too many times, they have two players in one gap, which leaves another gap unprotected. Second, the nose tackle gets double-teamed every play. That's part of the job. He does a pretty good job holding his ground most of the time. That said, this defense is all about shooting gaps, being disruptive and making plays behind the line. It's a scheme that makes plays and gives up plays. Ratliff will be your starting defensive end next year, because I don't think Marcus Spears will be here.
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/ivr/stories/112608dnspocownewsletter.3f68e61.html

Quote:
UNSUNG HERO: Jay Ratliff. On a team that had 13 Pro Bowl players last season, there is Ratliff -- a former seventh-round draft choice who is flourishing as the nose tackle. He has six sacks and anchors a three-man line that has been pivotal in the defense allowing only 118 rushing yards the past two games -- which included holding the 49ers' Frank Gore to a season-low 26 yards on 14 carries Sunday and the Redskins' Clinton Portis to 68 yards on 15 carries the week before (the same Portis who had 143 yards Sunday against Seattle).
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/389283_hnext25.html

hmm so they say Ratliff had a good game because he help keep Gore to only 26 yards but you still seem to think Heitmann had a good game even though Gore was held to 26 yards
interesting
Wild Turkey, whoever you are, you really need to use your real name. Wild Turkey is the type of name that will never have any credibility anywhere.
Originally posted by Method:
Wild Turkey, whoever you are, you really need to use your real name. Wild Turkey is the type of name that will never have any credibility anywhere.

He has a point, Gore only got chickenfeed for yards. What a great Center and O-line we have, They can beat the bad teams, and then fail against the good teams , just as we have for years . When will we wake up and see things for what they are, instead of wishful excuse making for players that just can not cut the mustard.
A breakdown from MM:

"If I had to rank their performances based on this game, from best to worst, I'd go: Heitmann, Staley, Baas, Rachal and Snyder."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/11/closer-look-at-o-line-play-against-dallas.html
Originally posted by Method:

Ever travel to any bars in rural Tennessee?
Share 49ersWebzone