LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Cortez Kennedy dead at the age of 48

Shop 49ers game tickets
Hall of Fame DT with the Seahawks. Another great dying way too soon.

Legendary defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy passed away at the age of 48, according to TMZ Sports. Although, the cause of his death is unclear; his death has been confirmed by the Orlando Police Department with no suspicious activity believed to be in play.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Seattle-Seahawks-legend-Cortez-Kennedy-passes-away-52867217
Saw this. Immediately wonder if it is concussion related. RIP
Sad news. Another legend gone way too soon.
NFL players be like WWE wrestlers.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Lol, so true. When I was in jr high, he was the best DT in the game.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Damn, this sucks...he was a badass.
Originally posted by English:

I thought the same thing. Football shortens a lot of players lives or causes a lot of medical other medical problems. Especially those in the trenches.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by English:

I thought the same thing. Football shortens a lot of players lives or causes a lot of medical other medical problems. Especially those in the trenches.
No kidding, I would be curious if the age of death of an NFL player was compared to the average Joe of the same ethnicity how much the NFL player falls short. I have to think on a guess every year in the NFL takes almost a year off someone's life.

Originally posted by BobS:
No kidding, I would be curious if the age of death of an NFL player was compared to the average Joe of the same ethnicity how much the NFL player falls short. I have to think on a guess every year in the NFL takes almost a year off someone's life.

For some people it doesn't matter, that his the only way out and they are willing to take the chance. They are either going to be gang banging or drugs, with some managing to get an education and climb up that way. Unless you are gifted in Basketball or baseball. For others there is hockey, but that is not an option for those in the inner city.

I thought I read something along that lines as far as years played and how much it takes off a players life. However, I don't think they separated the ethnicity part and just used the average human being.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by BobS:

For some people it doesn't matter, that his the only way out and they are willing to take the chance. They are either going to be gang banging or drugs, with some managing to get an education and climb up that way. Unless you are gifted in Basketball or baseball. For others there is hockey, but that is not an option for those in the inner city.

I thought I read something along that lines as far as years played and how much it takes off a players life. However, I don't think they separated the ethnicity part and just used the average human being.
I am just curious what is causing it. While better health care seems to extend the average Jane and Joe's life over the last 100 years the advance in medicine doesn't seem to have helped NFL players on average to live a whole lot longer.
Lol.

3 SEAHAWKS FINED FOR HOT-DOGGING

August 29, 1995
Seattle Seahawks Coach Dennis Erickson has fined starters Rick Mirer, Cortez Kennedy and Eugene Robinson $1,000 each for eating hot dogs on the sideline during the team's preseason game in San Francisco.

"We just felt that the fines were necessary," the first-year head coach said today. "It wasn't done intentionally by them and they're great kids. But they made a mistake. They know that better than anybody."

Robinson, the team's regular free safety and defensive captain the past three years, said he apologized to team president David Behring, the coaching staff and his teammates.

"I had half a hot dog," Robinson said. "It was a pretty expensive hot dog."

Kennedy, a four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, and Mirer, in his third season as the Seahawks' starting quarterback, did not want to talk about the third-quarter incident.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/08/29/3-seahawks-fined-for-hot-dogging/2b76e209-cbca-4866-8f05-c98603b77866/?utm_term=.60161abdffee
R.I.P.
Sad to see him pass on way too young. RIP
Share 49ersWebzone