There are 625 users in the forums
Offensive coordinator candidates around the NFL
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
I've had my eye on Zampese for a long time. At least since '07 when we were going through OCs like cheap hookers. This dude had good success working with Palmer, and has done a tremendous job with Dalton. His QBs understand timing, anticipation, and working through progressions.
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM
- ads_2006
- Veteran
- Posts: 64,572
why would bill obrien take an OC job?
Nov 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,452
Originally posted by ads_2006:
why would bill obrien take an OC job?
Where did you see me list Bill O'Brien as a candidate?
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM
- Gore_21
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,685
What happened to the creative run plays we seen from Roman in 2011? If we were still doing those I'd say keep him as run coordinator and find a better pass coordinator. I really dont know if Roman is doing the pass game and is he calling the pass plays? Right now I'd say the weak links on a very good coaching staff are Roman, Morton, Solari and Mangini (is he really helping?). Very happy with all the defensive guys: Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell, Leavitt, Jackson, etc. Side note: I'm a little disappointed in Harbaugh as well. Glad to have him and he's one of the best coaches in the NFL but he's too good of a coach to be making some of the decision and mistakes he has made. I expected more out of the QB spot as well. I think his loyalty gets him at times, been a few times I wish he would get on the players more and put his foot down and be bold. Maybe I'm off hard to tell when we don't have inside access.
Anyways, anyone think we could promote Geep Chryst or Tom Rathman? Maybe Harbaugh takes over play calling full time. Either way tired of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde Roman. I don't get it one game he looks like one of best OC's in the league and a genius the next looks like Mike Singletary is calling plays. Our pass game is so unimaginative and red zone play calling is a bad as well. Our run game was creative in 2011 and some what 2012 but even that seems to be losing the creativity. Also, wish we would have traded for Gordon. We have a hard time drafting and developing WR's so would be easier to just get proven guys. We haven't had a consistent WR since TO. (not counting VD at TE) Crabtree has been good these past few years but he's had multiple injuries. Don't get me wrong Baalke is one of the best GMs in the league and I love the way he runs things and I get him being safe but just seems like we should have been more bold at times. WR has killed us 3 years in a row and could have cost us 2 championships already. We haven't put enough emphasis on it. I know injuries but seems the last 3 years we haven't been as stocked as we should have been at WR. Maybe it's the coaches and play calling as well. Not many have stepped up.
Anyways, anyone think we could promote Geep Chryst or Tom Rathman? Maybe Harbaugh takes over play calling full time. Either way tired of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde Roman. I don't get it one game he looks like one of best OC's in the league and a genius the next looks like Mike Singletary is calling plays. Our pass game is so unimaginative and red zone play calling is a bad as well. Our run game was creative in 2011 and some what 2012 but even that seems to be losing the creativity. Also, wish we would have traded for Gordon. We have a hard time drafting and developing WR's so would be easier to just get proven guys. We haven't had a consistent WR since TO. (not counting VD at TE) Crabtree has been good these past few years but he's had multiple injuries. Don't get me wrong Baalke is one of the best GMs in the league and I love the way he runs things and I get him being safe but just seems like we should have been more bold at times. WR has killed us 3 years in a row and could have cost us 2 championships already. We haven't put enough emphasis on it. I know injuries but seems the last 3 years we haven't been as stocked as we should have been at WR. Maybe it's the coaches and play calling as well. Not many have stepped up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM ]
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,452
Originally posted by Gore_21:
What happened to the creative run plays we seen from Roman in 2011? If we were still doing those I'd say keep him as run coordinator and find a better pass coordinator. I really dont know if Roman is doing the pass game and is he calling the pass plays? Right now I'd say the weak links on a very good coaching staff are Roman, Morton, Solari and Mangini (is he really helping?). Very happy with all the defensive guys: Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell, Leavitt, Jackson, etc. Side note: I'm a little disappointed in Harbaugh as well. Glad to have him and he's one of the best coaches in the NFL but he's too good of a coach to be making some of the decision and mistakes he has made. I expected more out of the QB spot as well. I think his loyalty gets him at times, been a few times I wish he would get on the players more and put his foot down and be bold. Maybe I'm off hard to tell when we don't have inside access.
Anyways, anyone think we could promote Geep Chryst or Tom Rathman? Maybe Harbaugh takes over play calling full time. Either way tired of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde Roman. I don't get it one game he looks like one of best OC's in the league and a genius the next looks like Mike Singletary is calling plays. Our pass game is so unimaginative and red zone play calling is a bad as well. Our run game was creative in 2011 and some what 2012 but even that seems to be losing the creativity. Also, wish we would have traded for Gordon. We have a hard time drafting and developing WR's so would be easier to just get proven guys. We haven't had a consistent WR since TO. (not counting VD at TE) Crabtree has been good these past few years but he's had multiple injuries. Don't get me wrong Baalke is one of the best GMs in the league and I love the way he runs things and I get him being safe but just seems like we should have been more bold at times. WR has killed us 3 years in a row and could have cost us 2 championships already. We haven't put enough emphasis on it. I know injuries but seems the last 3 years we haven't been as stocked as we should have been at WR. Maybe it's the coaches and play calling as well. Not many have stepped up.
Geep Chryst
Rather see them roll with a first-time OC like Zampese or O'Shea....or a veteran, successful play-caller like Cavanaugh rather than Chryst who was almost Jim Hostler bad during his 2 seasons as OC with San Diego. If Chryst really has been developing the passing offense gameplans for this putrid offense, do you really want him stepping up to call the actual plays?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM ]
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Originally posted by Gore_21:
What happened to the creative run plays we seen from Roman in 2011? If we were still doing those I'd say keep him as run coordinator and find a better pass coordinator. I really dont know if Roman is doing the pass game and is he calling the pass plays? Right now I'd say the weak links on a very good coaching staff are Roman, Morton, Solari and Mangini (is he really helping?). Very happy with all the defensive guys: Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell, Leavitt, Jackson, etc. Side note: I'm a little disappointed in Harbaugh as well. Glad to have him and he's one of the best coaches in the NFL but he's too good of a coach to be making some of the decision and mistakes he has made. I expected more out of the QB spot as well. I think his loyalty gets him at times, been a few times I wish he would get on the players more and put his foot down and be bold. Maybe I'm off hard to tell when we don't have inside access.
Anyways, anyone think we could promote Geep Chryst or Tom Rathman? Maybe Harbaugh takes over play calling full time. Either way tired of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde Roman. I don't get it one game he looks like one of best OC's in the league and a genius the next looks like Mike Singletary is calling plays. Our pass game is so unimaginative and red zone play calling is a bad as well. Our run game was creative in 2011 and some what 2012 but even that seems to be losing the creativity. Also, wish we would have traded for Gordon. We have a hard time drafting and developing WR's so would be easier to just get proven guys. We haven't had a consistent WR since TO. (not counting VD at TE) Crabtree has been good these past few years but he's had multiple injuries.
The current run game has been watered down by all the Pistol zone-read stuff. Roman spent the 2012 off-season touring college campuses trying to learn the Pistol zone-read. He's obviously very intrigued by it. I wish he would scrap it and get back to the dizzying array of power formations we used in 2011. That is real NFL football. The pistol zone-reads are getting blown up in the backfield. I think you can catch teams off guard with it as a gadget play, but to base your running game around it is absurd. They take too long to develop, and any defender who has prepared for it in film session will know how to make the right read and blow the play up.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM ]
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM
- Gore_21
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,685
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The current run game has been watered down by all the Pistol zone-read stuff. Roman spent the 2012 off-season touring college campuses trying to learn the Pistol zone-read. He's obviously very intrigued by it. I wish he would scrap it and get back to the dizzying array of power formations we used in 2011. That is real NFL football. The pistol zone-reads are getting blown up in the backfield. I think you can catch teams off guard with it as a gadget play, but to base your running game around it is absurd. They take too long to develop, and any defender who has prepared for it in film session will know how to make the right read and blow the play up.
Thanks, good point and I agree that pistol is throwing off timing and hinders the offense. Need more traditional formations and play action. Should get back to what we did in 2011 but with a better passing game using more slants, screens, quick throws... west coast stuff. At least we stopped faking handoffs every play out of the pistol. Love how it's 3rd and 20 and we are faking a handoff usually when Gore isn't even there. We still do it too much but not every play. I don't know Roman is probably too smart for his own good. Wish this team would get out of it's own way.
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM
- Gore_21
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,685
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Geep Chryst![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Rather see them roll with a first-time OC like Zampese or O'Shea....or a veteran, successful play-caller like Cavanaugh rather than Chryst who was almost Jim Hostler bad during his 2 seasons as OC with San Diego. If Chryst really has been developing the passing offense gameplans for this putrid offense, do you really want him stepping up to call the actual plays?
If he has been developing the pass plays and calling some of them then yeah I would agree he shouldn't be the OC. I really don't know who has a hand in it if it's Roman, Chryst, Harbaugh or all of the above but the pass game is very unimaginative. Part of me would rather have someone who is experienced at play calling because wouldn't want a 1st year guy who is in over his head and holds this team back because it's too good all around to be experimenting. On the other hand do retread coaches ever work out for the better? Same old recycled coordinators, might be nice to get a new guy.
Also, thanks for the list I'll look into these guys. With O'shea wouldn't it be nice to finally get a guy who can develop WRs? Haven't had one in about 10+ years. Anybody know anything about Joe Lombardi QB coach for the Saints. Offensive assistant since 2007-08 and QB coach since 09. Problem is in that offense who knows if he knows how to stay balanced and use our run game which is our best asset and what our OL does best as well. Side note though kind of funny how we had McCarthy. What else is new... Packers have been poaching and making a living off our franchise since the 90s. Props to them for hiring him after a horrible season though. Also, wonder how things would have changed if Turner stayed. Probably worked out for the better wouldnt have had who we have now. Offense would have been better in the 07-10 ish years but then Nolan is probably still coaching and we get nowhere.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM ]
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM
- Dr_Bill_Walsh
- Veteran
- Posts: 20,669
Do what the Ravens did last year midseason and bring in Cam Cameron...
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:30 AM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,452
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Do what the Ravens did last year midseason and bring in Cam Cameron...
You mean fire Cam Cameron?
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:47 AM
- MarkD
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,611
Good idea lets change coordinators so Kap has to learn a new offense instead of getting better receivers. Btw do you know that Harbaugh can veto any play before it is sent to Kap. When you see him with his glasses on and pen and play book he's calling plays. But by all means the zoners who know everything about everything need to fire and hire someone to fulfill their fantasy
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM
- blizzuntz
- Veteran
- Posts: 56,309
take the junk food away
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM
- TheXFactor
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,990
You guys need to chill....
If anyone deserves to loose their job its WR coach John Morton.
If anyone deserves to loose their job its WR coach John Morton.
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM ]
Nov 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM
- vermonator
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,303
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
You guys need to chill....
If anyone deserves to loose their job its WR coach John Morton.
You nailed it! We haven't been able to groom receivers since the 90s... We need to get back to our roots and use a more traditional west coast offense to help the quarterback and receivers, with quick slants, boot legs, and some bubble screens, all of which are a part of the Bill Walsh system, but for some reason are seldom utilized in Roman's offense.