There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you think icing the kicker is stupid/outdated?

Do you think icing the kicker is stupid/outdated?

I really think that icing the kicker may have been useful at one point, but now all of the kickers expect it, and a lot of the time, they get a second shot at a rough kick. I used to say, "Coaches will continue to ice the kicker until it costs someone a big game."

WELL I WAS WRONG

It cost the seahawks their playoff game against the Falcons, and nobody even brought it up. There was so much egg on Pete Carroll's face you could have fed mexico city with breakfast burritos. He let their kicker have a mulligan and they lost.

And yet nobody brought it up. Why? It draws things out and there are already too many commercial breaks.
Originally posted by xtm059:

There was so much egg on Pete Carroll's face you could have fed mexico city with breakfast burritos.

I never knew headsets could fly.
It's pretty lame, but whatever... not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
I'm waiting for some coach to call a timeout before the extra point. Hi Pete.
I agree. Is so overdone these days that it is well expected anyway. The chances are you will give the kicker 1 more chance to practise the kick.
Susweel, Diva and Amir are big fans of icing the kicker which should explain a lot to anyone thinking its a good idea.

It's lame. I believe last year they actually proved it helped the kickers average more than hurt it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Well, what else are you going to do when the game comes down to a field goal? Personally, my strategy would be to call the ref over, wait till the final seconds, and then NOT call a timeout, hoping that it confuses the kicker who was expecting to be iced.
ice the kicker, leave everything out on the field. You dont want to come off the field thinking . . . . .. 'damn, should I have iced that kicker? maybe he would have missed it' that on top of everything else in the game.
I say do it, give him longer to sweat it, BUT I would call the timeout before the kicker got a practice shot
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by d49izme:
I say do it, give him longer to sweat it, BUT I would call the timeout before the kicker got a practice shot

If you're going to do it, this is the way. Don't let them get their distance, wind, direction all figured out.
Originally posted by fryet:
Well, what else are you going to do when the game comes down to a field goal? Personally, my strategy would be to call the ref over, wait till the final seconds, and then NOT call a timeout, hoping that it confuses the kicker who was expecting to be iced.

That's a new one. Might not be a bad idea actually.
I think it's stupid only in that it opens the coach up to criticism if you try to ice at the last second and the kicker misses the first kick and makes the second.
Originally posted by fryet:

This. Unless it is a windy day, and the wind was not blowing at the time, then i would call the timeout. if the wind is blowing, I would stand next to the ref with my hands in a half-hearted T formation like I was about to call timeout, but instead, flip the opposing team the bird.
It is like spamming .... it only has to work 1 in a bazillion to be worth doing.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
ice the kicker, leave everything out on the field. You dont want to come off the field thinking . . . . .. 'damn, should I have iced that kicker? maybe he would have missed it' that on top of everything else in the game.

If NFL HCs second guessed themselves they would never get anything else done