LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 255 users in the forums

Chris Ault to the Chiefs

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was hoping the 49ers would find a spot for him. Seems like Reid and Dorsey are making a lot of good moves in KC.

Earlier this offseason, the Chiefs hired former Vikings head coach Brad Childress and gave him the title of Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects.

Does that mean that Chris Ault will be the Pistol Pundit? We'll have to wait to find out if there's an exact title for Ault, but his agent Bob Lamonte (who also represents Chiefs coach Andy Reid) confirmed to Dan Hinxman of the Reno Gazette-Journal that Ault will be joining the team as a consultant this season.

Ault coached the University of Nevada for 28 seasons and gained attention as the creator of the Pistol formation that has become increasingly popular at all levels of football in recent years. One of Ault's quarterbacks was 49ers starter Colin Kaepernick, which helped increase the spotlight on Ault just as he was stepping down from his post at the university.

There's no word on what Ault's role will be or whether he'll remain with the team through the entire season, but his arrival doesn't necessarily mean that the Pistol will be integrated into the Reid playbook. Teams have been working to devise defensive plans for dealing with the read-option and other plays often run from the Pistol and having the guy who thought it up in the first place would likely help on that end as well.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Hey, I'm all for whatever gets the Chiefs to an 8-8 record.

this.
They're preparing for our SB match.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I was hoping the 49ers would find a spot for him. Seems like Reid and Dorsey are making a lot of good moves in KC.

Earlier this offseason, the Chiefs hired former Vikings head coach Brad Childress and gave him the title of Spread Game Analyst/Special Projects.

Does that mean that Chris Ault will be the Pistol Pundit? We'll have to wait to find out if there's an exact title for Ault, but his agent Bob Lamonte (who also represents Chiefs coach Andy Reid) confirmed to Dan Hinxman of the Reno Gazette-Journal that Ault will be joining the team as a consultant this season.

Ault coached the University of Nevada for 28 seasons and gained attention as the creator of the Pistol formation that has become increasingly popular at all levels of football in recent years. One of Ault's quarterbacks was 49ers starter Colin Kaepernick, which helped increase the spotlight on Ault just as he was stepping down from his post at the university.

There's no word on what Ault's role will be or whether he'll remain with the team through the entire season, but his arrival doesn't necessarily mean that the Pistol will be integrated into the Reid playbook. Teams have been working to devise defensive plans for dealing with the read-option and other plays often run from the Pistol and having the guy who thought it up in the first place would likely help on that end as well.

consultant aka if/when a coordinator or higher position opens Ault is gone
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop

Love this> "@danhinxmanRGJ: Ault doesn't know yet if Andy Reid wants him to help run the Pistol offense or help his defense try to stop it."
Originally posted by Jcool:

Love this> "@danhinxmanRGJ: Ault doesn't know yet if Andy Reid wants him to help run the Pistol offense or help his defense try to stop it."

Maybe a bit of both. Alex Smith does have good mobility to be able to run that and have the defense respect that possibility. Not of Kaep's class though.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Maybe a bit of both. Alex Smith does have good mobility to be able to run that and have the defense respect that possibility. Not of Kaep's class though.

But do you really want Alex having to learn a new offense? As much as he was around it when Kaep started... I still think there would be a learning curve with him.
let's go chiefs. i'm rooting for a 8-8 season!
Originally posted by MILFS:
let's go chiefs. i'm rooting for a 8-8 season!

And not one win more.

But do you really want Alex having to learn a new offense? As much as he was around it when Kaep started... I still think there would be a learning curve with him.

lol A slight dig at Smith. I get it.

Glad he went to the chiefs instead of a team in the NFC
VERY glad he didn't go to Seattle.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

lol A slight dig at Smith. I get it.

Its not a dig just kind of a fact... I happen to like Alex Smith but he really needs to know the offense to be effective in it. KC would be better off running a slight variation of what he ran here.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

From Total Access: Chris Ault will consult on both sides of the ball for #Chiefs. Install & defense of pistol. Will be in & out during camps
I like our Reid and Dorsey better.
Share 49ersWebzone