LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Kaepernick's college coach declines to tutor NFL teams

Shop 49ers game tickets
How pathetic is it that professional football coaches, who in most cases, make substantially more than their college counterparts, are desperately seeking them for advice on how to stop the read-option?

If I was an owner and my head coach came to me with some lame excuse like… "We can't stop it, I have to talk with so and so at the University." I'd fire him and call the college coach he was seeking to interview for his job.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/04/10/kaepernicks-college-coach-declines-to-tutor-nfl-teams/
Interesting...
Good. Figure it out on your own, b***hes. Seriously, I don't get what so mystifying about it.

In my mind, it comes down to athleticism. Do you have he personnel to beat the QB to the hole or to the outside?

Simple assignment discipline doesn't work because (by nature of the read-option) once the QB has a "read" on what the defender is going to do, he's already won. Playing more guys down in the box won't work because that makes you vulnerable downfield where the Kaepernick's, Wilson's, and RG3's of the world will eat you alive.

IMO, there is really no way to shut it down completely. Defenses are just going to have to pick their poison. Either play containment and hope your DB's hold up, or start investing in faster linebackers.

Perhaps some football minds far brighter than mine will chime in?
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM ]
That's what I like to hear, I'd like to buy that dude a beer.

Really I think it comes down to ALWAYS flashing your edge rusher to the outside and make sure he doesn't pursue the RB down the LOS right? Then you hope the rest of the guys inside can contain the RB when the QB hands off.
Hire him!
Originally posted by baltien:
Good. Figure it out on your own, b***hes. Seriously, I don't get what so mystifying about it.

In my mind, it comes down to athleticism. Do you have he personnel to beat the QB to the hole or to the outside?

Simple assignment discipline doesn't work because (by nature of the read-option) once the QB has a "read" on what the defender is going to do, he's already won. Playing more guys down in the box won't work because that makes you vulnerable downfield where the Kaepernick's, Wilson's, and RG3's of the world will eat you alive.

IMO, there is really no way to shut it down completely. Defenses are just going to have to pick their poison. Either play containment and hope your DB's hold up, or start investing in faster linebackers.

Perhaps some football minds far brighter than mine will chime in?

Just play good defense and you can stop it. Just like anything else. If your 11 guys are getting beat, then so be it. Get some new players or a new coach or try something else. Watch college tapes. What a joke these coaches who are scrambling to college to figure out 1 out of 10 formations we run out of. haha
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM ]
Well if other teams do talk to him, we get their picks for tampering
I don't think it's pathetic. Nothing is a greater threat to an organization than a closed mind. The coach should be willing to review his tactics as well as the tactics of others.
What ever happened to Chris Ault? I figured he'd be on the 49ers staff by now.

Originally posted by niners_guy:
What ever happened to Chris Ault? I figured he'd be on the 49ers staff by now.

We're broke!!!
Multi-million dollar salaried employees asking less credible people? I would be pissed off if I were the owner and wonder why I'm paying these dudes multi-millions. It's like PHD's asking people with a Masters questions.
Chris Ault on Kaepernick: "He's like a son to me."
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Chris Ault on Kaepernick: "He's like a son to me."

Not Chris Ault. That was RB's coach Jim Mastro who said that.
There will be that one weasel student coach's assistant who spills the beans.
Share 49ersWebzone