There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Salaries

Drew Brees got paid last year, highest contract.

Joe Flacco gets paid, new highest contract.

Tony Romo gets paid, new highest contract.

Aaron Rodgers contract in the works, rumored new highest contract.

So here's where the discussion starts.....when does it end? Eventually the pendulum has to start swinging the other way, unless the cap starts getting raised drastically every year. Personally I think all this mega-contract stuff is bogus.
Brees and Rodgers deserve it. Flacco and Romo don't.

Flacco and Romo have ruined it for a lot of other teams with their ridiculous contracts that they didn't earn. The Niners and Seahawks are the main ones that are about to get screwed because of it, but the Colts and Redskins will be in the same boat in a couple years due to these inflated contracts for inferior QBs.
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Flacco and Romo have ruined it for a lot of other teams with their ridiculous contracts that they didn't earn. The Niners and Seahawks are the main ones that are about to get screwed because of it, but the Colts and Redskins will be in the same boat in a couple years due to these inflated contracts for inferior QBs.

So what you are saying...is that SF has THIS season to get a Lombardi ..then your cap is trashed. Unless like you suggest and the caps are jacked up to the point they are meaningless. Seattle can buy time with two seasons and two runs at an NFL championship before Wilson breaks the bank. Something has to give. When one player is basically making the same as the rest of the team there is too much riding on having a competetive QB. I can see a lot of RBs and WRs and LGs and DEs being real pissed and moving on to teams with so-so QBs as this plays out. The desparity between the haves and have nots in the locker room will be a cancer that breeds discontent and the ultimate parity of angry players and possibly walk outs by the one's not taken in the first round.
Originally posted by HUGGY:

So what you are saying...is that SF has THIS season to get a Lombardi ..then your cap is trashed. Unless like you suggest and the caps are jacked up to the point they are meaningless. Seattle can buy time with two seasons and two runs at an NFL championship before Wilson breaks the bank. Something has to give. When one player is basically making the same as the rest of the team there is too much riding on having a competetive QB. I can see a lot of RBs and WRs and LGs and DEs being real pissed and moving on to teams with so-so QBs as this plays out. The desparity between the haves and have nots in the locker room will be a cancer that breeds discontent and the ultimate parity of angry players and possibly walk outs by the one's not taken in the first round.

I think you are overestimating the 'cap-hell' for the Niners in 2014. They're still about $6M under right now, plus the have several contracts expiring between now and then, as well as the high likelihood of restructuring Justin Smith's deal. Guys like Patrick Willis received a lion's share of their money early on in their contract, so we really wont be in too bad.

The possible cap casualties will be Jonathan Goodwin, Carlos Rogers, and potentially Michael Crabtree. But that's why the draft is so important, you have to be able to fill the gaps when bad teams pilfer your talent with oversized contracts (i.e. Dashon Goldson).
At some point I'd have to imagine the 52 other players on all of the teams are going to say enough is enough. Especially when established productive vets are regularly getting cut due to salary cap issues. Issues that are directly caused to 1 player on the 53 man roster. It may take a while, but I'd guess the new CBA will have a max contract structure similar to the NBA. Otherwise we're going to start seeing some serious mutiny issues between QBs and the rest of the players in the league.
No idea what's going on above, I think the site tweaked out. This is what I posted.

At some point I'd have to imagine the 52 other players on all of the teams are going to say enough is enough. Especially when established productive vets are regularly getting cut due to salary cap issues. Issues that are directly caused to 1 player on the 53 man roster. It may take a while, but I'd guess the new CBA will have a max contract structure similar to the NBA. Otherwise we're going to start seeing some serious mutiny issues between QBs and the rest of the players in the league.
WTF, sorry y'all. No idea what's going on.

The league has been like this for at least the last 20 years. Nothing new here.
Originally posted by lamontb:

The league has been like this for at least the last 20 years. Nothing new here.

The disparity wasn't as wide however. QB's pay used to be a small percentage of the total team compensation. Now pay for Flacco is 1/6 of the Ravens' cap.
  • HUGGY
Originally posted by fastforward:
The disparity wasn't as wide however. QB's pay used to be a small percentage of the total team compensation. Now pay for Flacco is 1/6 of the Ravens' cap.

Plus there has to be some upper limit on what fans will pay at the gate and what advertisers can charge for TV spots. It's the ol "is that a light at the end of the tunnel?...or a train wreck coming?" ..LOL!
apparently the web is using some type of April fools code today... testing one, two , three
[ Edited by hawker84 on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM ]
lol nice ^^^^
^^^ idk wtf your talking about
Originally posted by modninerfan:
^^^ idk wtf your talking about

I think they're scrambling posts made by Seahawk fans for April fools.