There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Big Hitters a thing of the past?

The unfortunate thing about these new rule changes, is that the REF can always make a bad call and there's nothing you can do about it, cause these calls won't be reviewable.
let's not forget "Let's the Players Play" takes precedence over safety especially in the superbowl........

(i'm mostly over it... but i'm just saying)
Big hits will still be part of the game... just not as often as before because of how perfect they have to be to be legal.

Go back to Chancellor's hit on VD in the last SF-Seattle game. Completely legal... shoulder to chest... no helmet or face guard contact between the two... but flagged for 15.

The threat of a flag is going to influence how often the defensive player is going to go for the gold... less and less is the obvious answer.
Originally posted by onanygivensunday49:
Big hits will still be part of the game... just not as often as before because of how perfect they have to be to be legal.

Go back to Chancellor's hit on VD in the last SF-Seattle game. Completely legal... shoulder to chest... no helmet or face guard contact between the two... but flagged for 15.

The threat of a flag is going to influence how often the defensive player is going to go for the gold... less and less is the obvious answer.

That was a lot closer to face guard contact than quite a few that were called on Goldson during the season. Goldson got called for a couple when he didn't come within 6 inches of the face guard. The Chancellor hit was questionable. Look at it again. It's hard to say that he doesn't nick the bottom of Davis' face guard with the top of his helmet. Davis' head goes back as well. That whole play was Davis' fault, though. He didn't have to jump. The more comfortable he gets with those Kaepernick missiles coming at him, the less we'll see of that. And, Kaepernick took something off that pass. After they work together a little more, Kaepernick will fire that pass and it will get to Davis long before a safety can react like that.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
let's not forget "Let's the Players Play" takes precedence over safety especially in the superbowl........

(i'm mostly over it... but i'm just saying)

IM NOT f**kING OVER IT. LOOK AT THE COACHES FILM.

HOLDING HOLDING
HOLDING
HOLDING
HOLDING
HOLDING
HOLDING
HOLDING
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by onanygivensunday49:

That was a lot closer to face guard contact than quite a few that were called on Goldson during the season. Goldson got called for a couple when he didn't come within 6 inches of the face guard. The Chancellor hit was questionable. Look at it again. It's hard to say that he doesn't nick the bottom of Davis' face guard with the top of his helmet. Davis' head goes back as well. That whole play was Davis' fault, though. He didn't have to jump. The more comfortable he gets with those Kaepernick missiles coming at him, the less we'll see of that. And, Kaepernick took something off that pass. After they work together a little more, Kaepernick will fire that pass and it will get to Davis long before a safety can react like that.

don't care if it just "nicked" that's a legal hit to me. so were pretty much all of goldson's hits.
No not at all.

Some time ago many of the older players said the game was losing it's character because the new rules at-the-time protected the QM more. Then came the rule changes about interference w/the WR.

The teams will adjust and find a way. It may not be what it was BUT the hitting will still continue.
The Goldson hit on Early Doucet comes to mind while I'm reading this thread. You all should know which one I'm talking about. Perfectly legal, but a vicious(and awesome I might add) hit. I don't believe he was fined and he shouldn't be. Players at this level can't play half speed. They'll keep taking their fines and I hope it never comes down to suspensions!
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
The Goldson hit on Early Doucet comes to mind while I'm reading this thread. You all should know which one I'm talking about. Perfectly legal, but a vicious(and awesome I might add) hit. I don't believe he was fined and he shouldn't be. Players at this level can't play half speed. They'll keep taking their fines and I hope it never comes down to suspensions!

a lot of the talk in i heard on NFLN was "that was a legal hit, but what if he didn't get up from that?" i noticed in the following weeks Goldson was getting flagged a lot more....... but i think the flag hurts everyone more than the fines. they got players to stop the celebrations by flags, not fines. that's how they'll get them to stop with the big hits.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
good thing we picked up Dahl. He doesn't make hits, he absorbs them like a sponge.

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home