LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 361 users in the forums

what do yall think of the new proposed rule for running backs

Shop 49ers game tickets
Just another ploy to allow easier 'rigging' for officials. -Tons of huge plays will be called back because of this rule, or none will even happen at all (NFL Films material plays).

Walter Payton is spinning in his f**king grave.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Sarcasm. Sorry you didn't get it.

I am slow.

Can't help it.
Tha helmet is for protection not a weapon its give N take it wont hurt between tha tackle plays its when ur out in open space may hurt tha game a little but nothing like it was 10 or 20 yrs ago ...
Tha helmet is for protection not a weapon its give N take it wont hurt between tha tackle plays its when ur out in open space may hurt tha game a little but nothing like it was 10 or 20 yrs ago ...
Techinically, it is a great rule. Goodell is trying to get these guys to play as if they were not wearing helmets which is great. He is taking out any use of using the head as a tackling weapon.

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset with this. Just like Defenders have now adjusted to tackling more with the shoulder, RBs will adjust and try to juke instead of using their head as a battering ram in the open area.

We all have said that the true answer would be to soften the helmet and take away the face mask that will force players to defend their own dome. Goodell is forcing them to play that way.

Great rule. I think next will be for linemen, LBs and FBs not to lead with their head on initial contact.

Hopefully, he game will once again be more about skill, wrapping up, using your feet to setup a legit shoulder block instead of seeing who takes the most HGH and can be the fastest battering ram.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Techinically, it is a great rule. Goodell is trying to get these guys to play as if they were not wearing helmets which is great. He is taking out any use of using the head as a tackling weapon.

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset with this. Just like Defenders have now adjusted to tackling more with the shoulder, RBs will adjust and try to juke instead of using their head as a battering ram in the open area.

We all have said that the true answer would be to soften the helmet and take away the face mask that will force players to defend their own dome. Goodell is forcing them to play that way.

Great rule. I think next will be for linemen, LBs and FBs not to lead with their head on initial contact.

Hopefully, he game will once again be more about skill, wrapping up, using your feet to setup a legit shoulder block instead of seeing who takes the most HGH and can be the fastest battering ram.

I want to see the battering rams
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I want to see the battering rams

Players don't go for the estra yards anymore because they are so quick to lower their heads, lose balance and stumble on any contact or whiff. Once ball carriers get used to this, I think we will see more "nifty" runs and better balance from bracing and staying up rather than slipping or stumbling to the ground.
I think it's lame and hope it doesn't get approved, but Jeff Fisher did a decent job explaining and rationalizing it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000151730/Player-Health-and-Safety-St-Louis-Rams-coach-Jeff-Fisher-on-proposed-RB-rule-change
Originally posted by silguero49:
Backs cant lower their heads or lead with the crown of their helmets into the defender once they r outside the box

Is this really a rule? wtf?

Players like Jim Brown wouldn't even be able to play in the NFL cause of that rule . What a dumb rule. RBs basically aren't allowed to run players over anymore.

That's dumb. RBs that are more physical and truck defenders instead of being elusive and juke would be at a disadvantage
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Mar 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM ]

I would like the rule change unless one of the RB's had Takeo Spikes' neck
AHHHHHHH!!!!!! *Insert Panicking Post about how the NFL is turning into the National Flag Football League and how the Lingerie Bowl is going to be more physical than the NFL*
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I think it's lame and hope it doesn't get approved, but Jeff Fisher did a decent job explaining and rationalizing it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap2000000151730/Player-Health-and-Safety-St-Louis-Rams-coach-Jeff-Fisher-on-proposed-RB-rule-change

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. It's not targeting "getting low/behind your pads" it's targeting RB's who square up and lower their heads and use their helmets to blow up a defensive back. Defenders aren't allowed to do that, so why should RB's be allowed to? Especially when you have guys like Lynch and other big RB's against the much smaller defensive backs.
" 4th and goal, Gore dives in for the game winning Super Bowl play... TOUcHdOWN!!!!!........Flags thrown. " Niners get f***ed again !
Imagine if Walter Peyton, Roger Craig, Jerome Bettis, Eric Dickerson, Larry Csonka, and even Joe Riggins or other legendary bruising backs weren't allowed to lead with their helmets. All hall of fame RB's would be dancing queens that relied on jukes and speed.
Share 49ersWebzone