LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Kerry Rhodes released by the Cardinals

Shop 49ers game tickets
Maybe the 49ers should hold up on the whole Woodson deal. Kerry Rhodes is actually a free safety, tremendous size(6'3") and had a pretty good season for Arizona but they are cutting players to open up cap space. I wouldn't mind the 49ers taking a look at him at all. Dude is a great guy, a team leader, big in the community here in Phoenix, decent coverage ability too. He was earning $4.5 million a year with Arizona.

4 interceptions and 70 tackles last year, this guy might be the closest thing to Goldson that there still is out on the market.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RhodKe20.htm

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM ]
wow, they cut both of their longtime safeties. in contrast to wilson, rhodes played pretty well last season. Would be a pretty good signing i guess.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
wow, they cut both of their longtime safeties. in contrast to wilson, rhodes played pretty well last season. Would be a pretty good signing i guess.

Wilson is done and over the hill. Rhodes had a good season, they were even discussing doing an extension during the season. The moment they released him he became my favorite free safety still remaining on the market.
I agree. And at age 30 one could consider more than a one-year contract. But what will he demand? 4.5 again?
I agree. And at age 30 one could consider more than a one-year contract. But what will he demand? 4.5 again?

At $4.5 I think he'd be a bargain. He's a better player than Delmas, just flat-out better. A lot younger than Woodson, able to be productive as a free safety. Signing him to a 2-3 year deal would allow the 49ers to dump Whitner and draft a safety to replace him early on in the draft. 49ers go into the season with Rhodes at free safety and someone like Cyprien at SS.

EDIT-Cardinals fans are pissed. http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=64697
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

At $4.5 I think he'd be a bargain. He's a better player than Delmas, just flat-out better. A lot younger than Woodson, able to be productive as a free safety. Signing him to a 2-3 year deal would allow the 49ers to dump Whitner and draft a safety to replace him early on in the draft. 49ers go into the season with Rhodes at free safety and someone like Cyprien at SS.

EDIT-Cardinals fans are pissed. http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=64697

I really like this idea. With the depth at safety in this years draft, I am hoping the Niners draft two safeties and a cb for future depth. But that is a lot of youth in the secondary. Someone like Rhodes would give them some veteran leadership back there.
Originally posted by Butter:
I really like this idea. With the depth at safety in this years draft, I am hoping the Niners draft two safeties and a cb for future depth. But that is a lot of youth in the secondary. Someone like Rhodes would give them some veteran leadership back there.

I really, really like this idea. I hope Baalke does too. Rhodes could be a short-term guy, or he could stick around for 2-3 years at an affordable salary. He's talented, great size for a safety, can stop the run and plays well in coverage. As I said before, he can do a lot of the same things that Goldson does but is probably a little better in coverage. Not as hard a hitter, but still very physical, good redzone defender.

I really, really like this idea. I hope Baalke does too. Rhodes could be a short-term guy, or he could stick around for 2-3 years at an affordable salary. He's talented, great size for a safety, can stop the run and plays well in coverage. As I said before, he can do a lot of the same things that Goldson does but is probably a little better in coverage. Not as hard a hitter, but still very physical, good redzone defender.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Also, he wouldn't count against the comp picks for 2014 because he was cut. If I am not mistaken, the Dorsey and Sopoaga signings sorta cancel each other out. But the losses Goldson and Walker should net us 3rd and 4th round comp picks respectively.

Not directed at Phoenix specifically but his post made me think it....

So the question becomes this...you sign Rhodes, he is here for a while I am sure. He is young enough to want a deal with some security. Do you want him for the long haul or would you rather have an aging vet like Reed or Woodson AND your draft crush dejour at free safety? Rhodes is probably the safe play...but a Vet/Rook combo, while costing a little more this year would be much cheaper in the future and might net you an all star for the position?

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Not directed at Phoenix specifically but his post made me think it....

So the question becomes this...you sign Rhodes, he is here for a while I am sure. He is young enough to want a deal with some security. Do you want him for the long haul or would you rather have an aging vet like Reed or Woodson AND your draft crush dejour at free safety? Rhodes is probably the safe play...but a Vet/Rook combo, while costing a little more this year would be much cheaper in the future and might net you an all star for the position?

That depends if niners aren't keen on any FS in the draft then Rhodes is the way to go.

I think this guy is a steal for 4.5mil and lets us focus on D-Line and WR in the early rounds of the draft.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:40 AM ]
I would rather see us pick up a vet FS with good coverage and play recognition skills and draft a SS than the reverse. Rhodes on a 4 year $15 mil deal with $5mil as a signing bonus would work well with our cap and give us some backfield security. Then we can draft A NT and DE and dump some of our picks into next years draft (trade up a round) to keep the flow of high calibre talent for the next few years.
Originally posted by Mookster:
I would rather see us pick up a vet FS with good coverage and play recognition skills and draft a SS than the reverse. Rhodes on a 4 year $15 mil deal with $5mil as a signing bonus would work well with our cap and give us some backfield security. Then we can draft A NT and DE and dump some of our picks into next years draft (trade up a round) to keep the flow of high calibre talent for the next few years.

This. I really wasn't thrilled with any of the selections available but now that Rhodes has fallen onto the market, there's a viable chance of releasing Whitner, having a rookie starting at strong safety but still having a good veteran presence at the other safety spot, someone who has a lot more left in the tank.
I think he fits in well 3 year deal 14 million. He know's the division well tall FS to cover the tall WR'S and TE'S Whitner has problems, Whitner should not be in on nickle and dime situation too slow and too short. It's hard for a rookie safety to come in and make a splash, we'll draft a safety within our 1st 4 picks to replace Whitner next year (SWEARINGER)
This is an ideal prospect for the 49ers.

He had a solid year and has the physical attributes- necessary to be effective.

He knows the division and I believe he had more Forced Fumbles and Interceptions- than did Goldson.

He is be a pro-bowl prospect- in the right system. SIgn Rhodes and Asomugha- move on to the draft......
Share 49ersWebzone