LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Atlanta getting new billion dollar stadium

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

RT @AP_NFL BREAKING: Atlanta city officials, #Falcons owner agree on financing terms for new $1 billion stadium #sportsbiz
how much does our new stadium cost?
I thought their stadium was pretty nice. Is that place old?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

opened in 1992
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
how much does our new stadium cost?

$1.2 billion
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
With the mayor of Atlanta on board, the Falcons have taken a big step toward getting a new downtown stadium.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and Falcons owner Arthur Blank appeared together at City Hall today and said they're both on board with a plan that would feature the city paying $200 million toward the $1 billion cost of a new stadium to replace the 21-year-old Georgia Dome.

"I am pleased that we reached an agreement that will ensure the Atlanta Falcons remain in the heart of our city for many years to come and will lead to revitalization of some of the city's most historic neighborhoods," Reed said, via FOX Atlanta.

Blank praised the deal as a "win-win," while the city stressed that the $200 million would come from taxes on hotel rooms, rather than taxes from Atlanta residents.

Before the Falcons officially have a deal in place, they also need the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, the Fulton County Commission and the Atlanta City Council to approve. But it appears that the biggest hurdles have been cleared, and the Falcons are getting a new downtown stadium.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/falcons-owner-atlanta-mayor-reach-agreement-on-downtown-stadium/
Falcons had Fulton County Stadium then the Georgiadome. Now they are getting a new place.

Pretty much all that while we had the Stick. Love it, but....

Thank goodness they aren't still fighting over what to do.
Originally posted by Jcool:

opened in 1992

1992 is not that old. The Chargers stadium (Qualcomm) was opened in 1967. Remodeled many times since. But it's pretty old. Candlestick must be pretty old.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

opened in 1992

1992 is not that old. The Chargers stadium (Qualcomm) was opened in 1967. Remodeled many times since. But it's pretty old. Candlestick must be pretty old.

Georgia Dome has been renovated since then. 300 million worth from 06-08 and they got new video screens in 2009. Seems they want a new stadium because they want to play outdoors and because they want a chance to host a Super Bowl.
[ Edited by Jcool on Mar 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Well I'm glad there is one less Dome in the league. Not a fan of indoor football.

still aint winning a superbowl with Ryan as their QB
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

RT @AP_NFL BREAKING: Atlanta city officials, #Falcons owner agree on financing terms for new $1 billion stadium #sportsbiz

Good for them but they don't need a new facility.
Replacing a 20 year old stadium is pretty sad.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Replacing a 20 year old stadium is pretty sad.

waste of a billion dollars
Bet Deion gets the honor of detonating the Georgia Dome...it is after all "his house"
Share 49ersWebzone