There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

D. Revis or P. Harvin?

D. Revis or P. Harvin?

Guys I just wanted to get an understanding on where everyone stands on who you would take if we had a choice between these two players. There are numerous rumblings and grumblings going around that ties us to both of these players. Off the top of my head im going to list the pros and cons for both of these players:

Revis:
-Pros: If HEALTHY, Legit #1 shutdown corner and our missing piece (the best this league has to offer and the best since primetime). Hes a BAAAD man!
He completely shuts down the entire half of a field (Most likely won't need safety help either, thank god since we will probably keep whitner)
We play the likes of Fitz (twice), A. Johnson, Julio Jones, S. Smith, V. Jackson, J. Blackmon next year. He will eliminate these receivers from the game.
With qbs such as A. Rogers, A. Luck, R. Wilson, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, and RG III on schedule, they will not look his way.
Only costs us 1 year 6-7mil for our late 2nd or even 3rd rounder.
Puts us over the top and helps us win #6!
Cons: Likely only a 1 year rental with the amount of money he is looking for in the future.
Can he still compete with the best coming off an ACL injury?
Locker room distraction?
Harvin:
-Pros: Offense will be unstoppable. Nuff Said.
Dynamic young player. One of the best in the league. He's a baaad man as well!
Great compliment to M. Crabtree and will help V. Davis stretch the field.
Will also help on special teams with the return game. (pencil him down for at least 3 return tds in a season)
Also only cost us a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get. Maybe even throw in AJ Jenkins for the hell of it.
Much cheaper to sign to an extension than Revis. (looking for 7-8 million/year?)
Cons: Injury prone. Just doesn't appear to be able to stay healthy.
Locker room distraction as well?

I believe both of these guys can put us over the top and undoubtedly help us win #6. I think that when all is said and done, they both want to win a super bowl and if that can happen they will both shut up and be team players. What is everyone's thoughts?
I say Revis. I know I have sounded like a broken record on this board but it's the same scenario as when we signed Deon Sanders then instantly won the superbowl. Sure we payed a lot for him but then we got a trophy. Sign him and pay him what he's worth.

In fantasy land I want Harvin, Wallace, and Revis but that is not going to happen. I can dream though.
Revis
Revis specifically because next year our offense will be just about the same as last season minus moss and possibly delanie. Our defense will be same minus possibly soap rjf and goldson. With the same team as last season (practically) what was the glaring weekness that got us torched in the sb. Hint it wasnt the offense.
Revis because we can draft a guy like Tavon Austin who brings in a similar skillset to that of Harvin. With Revis you take out the other team's best receiver, he becomes a near- non factor. Harvin would provide more versatility but is a headcase. Revis in this locker room provides another voice to be heard, he has always struck me as a good leader as well as great corner.

Edit: I know they have no time table but at some point we'll have Kyle Williams and Manningham come back. Them plus Crabtree, Jenkins, Hall, Lockette and a rookie. That rookie could be anybody, and Harvin does not strike me as the type Harbaugh is willing to gamble on.
[ Edited by shaneblonien on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM ]
Revis
kaepernick adds another dimension to our offense to make it dangerous enough as to where we might not need another top wr. i think revis upgrade our defense and create nightmares for opposing offenses.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Neither. This team was built through the draft. While adding supporting pieces through FA. These two are both head cases and would be asking for to much money. We have are own players and their upcoming salaries to worry about. They are simply not worth it.
We can use Jenkins like Harvin...just don't do it...yet.

Revis? I think we learned that sometimes the pass rush won't be there and we play a TON of dominant WR's every single year. You aren't going to shut them down with a half-assing-it-Rogers, a small Brown or a dumb Culliver. And we haven't exactly had the best S coverage help for the CB's to say the least either soooo...

Revis with something to prove (return from injury, contract year and his new hatred for Sherman?) = expect the best from him. We win a Superbowl or come close and a year with THIS team, it's character and locker room, you'll see him take a reasonable contract like Brooks, Rogers, Willis, Bowman, etc.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Oh the myth

before this year harvin missed 3 games in 3 years

before this year. Revis missed 3 games in the last 3 years.

would love either. but i would say revis

Manningham and crabtree with revis as #1 CB is better than Harvin and crabtree with Rogers as our #1 cb
I'd take harvin, Moss is old and might not return. Kyle and Mannham are coming off hugh injuries. A.J. still hasn't caught a pass. Walker might not return. So all we have is crabtree and davis.... The defense doesn't need another cb that's overpaid and getting old, as much as the offense needs a young pass catcher, like to get colin some help, we've already got 2 injury prone wr's with a third we might get lucky and have one different guy injured every week... We really need to help colin!!!
Originally posted by MarkD:
This team was built through the draft. While adding supporting pieces through FA.

Really? Because the anchor of the defense and the most important player (as well as the best player) on this team was acquired via free agency. When he is hurt or not on the field altogether, our defense falls from great to just "good" and at times it can't even be considered that. He is more than just a "supporting piece." Sometimes you have to go out and get a guy that you know will improve your team. Period.

Revis is a difference maker. You don't use excuses like "we build through the draft" to argue against going after the best player in the league at a position your team needs. If you can get him, you try to get him.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
I would take Harvin in a hearbeat. He's the deep threat opposite Crabs, or the one to blow the top of the opposing D's drawing the safety from the middle leaving Davis with more single coverage. Also, the one to keep 8 or more than 7 men in the box nearly impossible...Just my thinking. Plus he's only 24, and we can still draft Austin and allow him some developmental time. Only problem with paying either of these guys, is the ripple effect it could have on the locker room. We have some very important decisions coming up with key personnel. I'm always for winning now! I think paying $7-8M for Harvin is much better than A. renting a shut down CB coming off an injury or B. paying $16M yr.
Neither.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by MarkD:
This team was built through the draft. While adding supporting pieces through FA.

Really? Because the anchor of the defense and the most important player (as well as the best player) on this team was acquired via free agency. When he is hurt or not on the field altogether, our defense falls from great to just "good" and at times it can't even be considered that. He is more than just a "supporting piece." Sometimes you have to go out and get a guy that you know will improve your team. Period.

Revis is a difference maker. You don't use excuses like "we build through the draft" to argue against going after the best player in the league at a position your team needs. If you can get him, you try to get him.

I am talking post Nolan here now. If I wanted to use your logic I could also say the same thing about Nate Clements and Ashley Lelie among others
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home