There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

tim brown:bill callahan sabotaged the superbowl

Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Yeah, I'm sure he sacrificed his chance to become a SB winning head coach just to spite Al Davis. After all, what are things like money & respect when measured against the friendship of Jon Gruden?

No I think you misunderstand

I think Al sabotaged HIMSELF, out of some misguided idea that his underlings were out to get him

I don't see how I'm misunderstanding anything, since I was talking about the claims made by Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. I hadn't even considered your thoughts on the subject (which are marginally more plausible but not the accusations being made).

"We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends," Brown said. "And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders."
[ Edited by Overkill on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM ]
Perfect press timing two weeks before the Super Bowl. Maximum exposure, when's the book coming out.
Yeah, I'm sure he sacrificed his chance to become a SB winning head coach just to spite Al Davis. After all, what are things like money & respect when measured against the friendship of Jon Gruden?

No I think you misunderstand

I think Al sabotaged HIMSELF, out of some misguided idea that his underlings were out to get him

I don't see how I'm misunderstanding anything, since I was talking about the claims made by Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. I hadn't even considered your thoughts on the subject (which are marginally more plausible but not the accusations being made).

Quote:
"We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends," Brown said. "And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders."

True that, but as was just posted, it might be Tim Brown's perception of what happened. And it really should be no surprise to anyone if s**t went horribly wrong for that team in the hours leading up to the game.

If Jerry supports it, I f**kin believe man.
True that, but as was just posted, it might be Tim Brown's perception of what happened. And it really should be no surprise to anyone if s**t went horribly wrong for that team in the hours leading up to the game.

If Jerry supports it, I f**kin believe man.

Gotcha, well either way I think Tim Brown's perception of things is wrong.

AD may have sabotaged things with his paranoia. Far be it for me to underestimate the dysfunction of the Raiders.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Bill Callahan releases a stern statement in response to Tim Brown's allegations. Says he is "shocked" and "saddened" by "ludicrous" claims..

Callahan calls allegations "defamatory" and requests that they "be retracted immediately." I'm no lawyer but sounds like he means business
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Bill Callahan releases a stern statement in response to Tim Brown's allegations. Says he is "shocked" and "saddened" by "ludicrous" claims..

This. I think Raiders are still bitter over the loss and wanna be in the spotlight again, even if it's ex-players.
Now Jon Ritchie is on TV backing up Tim and Jerry
I just find it very hard to believe that Callahan would sabotage his team and throw the SB. And if it really IS true why would Brown and Rice wait a decade before saying anything? Wouldnt they have been irate about losing a chance to win the SB and say something right away? Wouldnt there have been SOME outcry by the players by now?

Jerry has complained that Callahan didnt like him for some reason. Maybe this is his way of supporting his friend Tim Brown and getting back at Callahan.

Just dont buy it.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
"There are many people who are disappointed by the outcome of Super Bowl XXXVII, but none more than me," Callahan said in a statement. "While I fully understand a competitive professional football player's disappointment when a game's outcome doesn't go his team's way, I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown's allegations and Jerry Rice's support of those allegations made through various media outlets over the last twenty-four hours.

"To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegations. Like every game I ever coached on the professional or collegiate level, I endeavor to the best of my professional ability to position my team to win. To suggest otherwise, especially at this time when it involves the Super Bowl, is ludicrous and defamatory. I have always honored the spirit of competition that drives us to sport as children and, for the lucky few, sustains us in adulthood.

"Any suggestion that I would undermine the integrity of the sport that I love and dedicated my life to, or dishonor the commitment I made to our players, coaches and fans, is flat out wrong. I think it would be in the best interests of all including the game America loves that these allegations be retracted immediately. I want to extend my personal and my family's deep appreciation to the coaches, players and fans who have come forward and thoughtfully spoken out against these ill-conceived allegations."
Maybe Al Davis didn't like the plan and forced the change.

Anyway, this is the third week in a row where some crazy news has taken the spotlight over my Niners fix on the radio. First it was the MLB HOF, then Lance and Manknot Teo, and now this!!

Thanks a lot Tim Brown. On a Super Bowl run and we have been the second or third story in the Bay.
It all makes sense! In Callahan's eyes, it would have been a travesty to win the SB for the Raiders and beat his good friend, Gruden. Not changing the call signals, plus changing the game plan abruptly to a interception friendly offense is clear evidence. He really wanted out of the NFL and go to Nebraska so he can win the coveted Alamo Bowl.
Maybe Callahan threw the game but it didn't take much.

The AFC was down. Titans made the AFC Title game after starting 1-4
Bucs defense was elite. Steam rolled us in the Divisional Game 31-6, then dominated a solid Eagles team.

Raiders actually scored first with a Janikowski FG. Then gave up the next 34 points
Mayby he threw it for money. Perhaps he made promises he couldn't keep. Superbowls trump friendship but not money or broken knee caps!
Wow I honestly have no idea what to make of this. Comparing what Tim and Jerry said with the Callahan statement... one of them has to be wrong. Just crazy.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer

Tim Brown's backpedalling off his Super Bowl sabatogae claims on@dpshow faster than Champ Bailey trying to cover Torrey Smith.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home