LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Marc Trestman New Bears HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Dan Pompei ‏@danpompei
BREAKING: Joe DeCamillis will be Bears assistant head coach, special teams coordinator, sources say.

Jeff Dickerson ‏@ESPNChiBears
The only way Rod Marinelli isn't the #Bears DC next year is if Marinelli doesn't want the job. Been obvious the #Bears want to keep him.

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog
Means Trestman calls plays RT @AdamSchefter: Former Saints interim coach Aaron Kromer has accepted the OC and OL coaching job with #Bears.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM ]
WTF??? What an odd hire. Bears' fans are probably PISSED. He sucked as OC for us, and has been out of the NFL for years.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
WTF??? What an odd hire. Bears' fans are probably PISSED. He sucked as OC for us, and has been out of the NFL for years.

1995: #1 in points #2 in yards
1996: #3 in points #6 in yards

That is with Derek Loville & Terry Kirby at RB

And for comparison: Mariucci's first year with Steve Young and Garrison Hearst, #5 in points #12 in yards.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by sacniner:

1995: #1 in points #2 in yards
1996: #3 in points #6 in yards

That is with Derek Loville & Terry Kirby at RB

And for comparison: Mariucci's first year with Steve Young and Garrison Hearst, #5 in points #12 in yards.

I like the hire. Trestman was a great OC
Trestman was a terrible OC for us. The stats don't tell everything. He did not utilize Rice effectively and called many questionable plays. I remember Walsh looking over his shoulder trying to help him out.

Good luck to Trestman though. He's been in football for a long time so maybe he got better.
Too young to remember him but I've seen everyone say they hated him as our OC
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
he looks like a nerd
Good hire for them.
Originally posted by NinerJedi:
Trestman was a terrible OC for us. The stats don't tell everything. He did not utilize Rice effectively and called many questionable plays. I remember Walsh looking over his shoulder trying to help him out.

Good luck to Trestman though. He's been in football for a long time so maybe he got better.

This is nonsense. Trestman did fine, about as well as anyone can do with a RB that averages 3.0 yards per carry. He had to adjust the offense to develop more short-timing routes to make up for the lack of a run game.

Walsh was never "looking" over his shoulder either, Seifert, Walsh and Trestman all basically said that notion was crap. Walsh also called Trestman his "finest pupil" and the guy went on to help make Scott Mitchell an All-Pro, Jake Plummer had the best year of his career under him, as did Rich Gannon. Jerry Rice had issues with him early on because of all of the short routes, but he also had the best season of his career under Trestman and has spoken highly favorably of him since their time in Oakland together.

Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Too young to remember him but I've seen everyone say they hated him as our OC

No, people just hated that this team couldn't run the ball to save their lives and Trestman was a natural scapegoat. Shanahan left, Ricky Watters left, Trestman was hired and told to learn the WCO, he did, he was a good playcaller but you can only work with what you have out on the field. Derek Loville as your starting RB is not a good situation.
He'll run a better offense than Mike Tice did at least
I still have nightmares about this.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerJedi:

that's right...I will never forget Walsh looking over his shoulder in the booth. I don't know how this guy got a HC job when he sucked as an OC for the 49ers. In fact, i don't recall his name ever coming up in the league as a great OC anywhere. He must be related to the Bears somehow.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs

What could @MattForte22 be in store for in Marc Trestman offense? My guy Charlie Garner averaged 70.3 receptions in 3 seasons under Trestman
Share 49ersWebzone