LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Adrian Peterson wants 2,500 yards rushing

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000122413/minnesota-vikings-rb-adrian-peterson-wants-2500-yards/

Among the things he said:

"When I heard nine, my heart just sunk into my stomach. (There were) five, six, seven plays I was impatient or made the wrong read -- I could have blew it out the water."

"Enjoy this last year because the record's going down, with ease."

Am I the only one who feels like he is being a complete d-bag about this? His cockiness is out of hand.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
D Bag? No, I don't agree at all. The guy is the real deal. Don't see any douche at all. When you are THAT good, you aren't being a dick. You are just telling it as it is.

Good luck to him.
I don't know, maybe I'm just used to our more humble guys. I doubt someone like Frank Gore would go and admit he was just gunning for the record and then talk about how he wants to blow it out of the water and how easy it's going to be.

Imagine how much crap would be talked about T.O. if he had ever come out talking about how he was gonna blow the receiving yardage record out of the water or Aldon Smith expressing disappointment about not getting the sack record and then claiming he will easily destroy it next year. I just don't see it going over too well and definitely don't see any shred of class involved.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That guy has got to be on some PED
I think it's outrageous that he says he'll get it with ease. He is the best back in the NFL right now and one of the best backs all-time it seems to be, but no record in the NFL falls with ease. There's a lot of work to be done to get these records. So, in that sense, I think he's being a little cocky, yes.

Do I think he can get 2500 yards? Yes. Do I think he will? No. That's no easy feet. But it does help when you verse the Packers and the Lions defense twice every year.
it will never happen. I think he has ONE MORE 2,000 yard season in him but not 2,500. The record will be safe for a looooooooooooooooong time.
If anyone is gonna break it anytime soon its gonna be AP.....dude just runs too violently
definitely worthy of its own thread. definitely.
AP is being such a douche about this. The fact that he was overly concerned with breaking the record shows his selfishness.

Saying "I came so close", or "I am going to break it next year"....How about "my coaches who called the plays, my trainers who got me healthy, my OL that opened the running lanes all year, etc." That record is very much a team effort.

I get that hes competitive, but talk about the upcoming playoff game in GB, not what record youre going to shatter next year.
Originally posted by Niners99:
definitely worthy of its own thread. definitely.

Definitely contributed to the thread. Definitely.

Now that the sarcasm is out of the way, back to topic.

I just feel he sounded arrogant. He's the best pure runner in the league, but can you find Barry Sanders talking about how easy its gonna be for him to break the rushing record when he went over 2,000? How about Jerry Rice talking about shattering the numerous records he blew out of the water? No? What about Calvin Johnson? Did he act like it was easy and brag about blowing Jerry's record out of the water earlier this year? I wonder why not.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM ]

I think saying you are going to rush for 2,500 yards would be the equivalent of saying you will pass for 6,000 yards (which is actually more believable because of the rules today).

I'm going to say that unless rules change to benefit running backs, I don't see anyone getting 2,500.
Peterson is a little arrogant.
Frank Gore failed lol
Thats gotta hurt to end 9 yards from the record.

He will not get as many yards next season.
He should demand to be traded to us then....Alex for AP make it so Baalke
Share 49ersWebzone