There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Bengals taking Dalton before we took Kaep

interesting to think about what things would be like if they didnt take dalton in front of us since i think harbaugh was targeting dalton. as soon as they took him harbaugh and baalke moved up for kaep. do you guys think we're better off? kaep looks like a steal in the 2nd round so far just based on his tools and leadership ability but dalton also looks pretty damn good. i still think we got the better qb in the long run. what do you guys think about the whole thing?
So far I'm glad how things have worked out for us. If Kap pans out like we think he will, then I think we got the best QB in the draft.
I don't think we will ever know who the 49ers and Harbaugh wanted. Dalton or Kaep. Based on Trent Dilfer's interview a couple of weeks back, He swore that Harbaugh have always wanted Kaepernick and only Kapernick.

"Jim fought for drafting Kaepernick,'' Dilfer said. "They could have had [Andy] Dalton [who went 35th to Cincinnati, one spot ahead of where the 49ers traded up to]. Everybody wanted Dalton except him. [49ers general manager Trent] Baalke threw him a bone because it was his first year. Kaepernick was his guy. He went and worked him out, he thought he found him, and he swears to this day the only reason Kaepernick went that high was because of the momentum generated because of him. That's his guy.Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/11/27/colin-kaepernick-49ers-super-bowl/index.html#ixzz2FnobYyxg
Seems to have worked out well for both teams
Watching the Niner draft room everyone was celebrating when the Bengals took Dalton, and they took Kaep with no hesitation, that says it all.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Watching the Niner draft room everyone was celebrating when the Bengals took Dalton, and they took Kaep with no hesitation, that says it all.

this
I believe I also remember the Raiders being upset that we jumped ahead of them to take Kaep.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I think before the draft the consensus was we wanted Dalton. I wanted the 49ers to draft Dalton. I think after watching Dalton play I think he is a good QB but more in the Alex Smith mold. If Cincy didn't have A.J. Green, you could cut Dalton's numbers in half. I have to think Harbaugh knew the kind of QB Dalton would max out at and what Kaep could max out at. Would Harbaugh really want Alex Smith 2.0?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I believe I also remember the Raiders being upset that we jumped ahead of them to take Kaep.

They would've f**ked up his development anyways.
Dalton reminds me of Alex Smith. Except he was lucky to start off his career under better conditions/team
I think Dalton is the perfect west coast offense qb
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Dec 22, 2012 at 1:19 PM ]
Wouldve hated to see Kaep in Silver and Black.....I wouldnt been sooooo mad!!!!!! Maybe as mad as I was when The Rams took Greg Salas......good thing hes with the Pats now......or even Pisa Tinoisamoa playing for the Rams his whole career........I really hated to see that.....
[ Edited by 80849er4life on Dec 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

i never saw that but i know dalton was linked to us by a bunch of the talking heads leading up to the draft. many said kaep was a 3rd rounder lol. i personally like kaeps style over dalton's so i think we got lucky to get him where we got him. just think if the raiders got kaep and how he would be wasted with them
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I think Dalton is the perfect west coast offense qb

I'm a big fan of the Red Rifle.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Wouldnt hated to see Kaep in Silver and Black.....I wouldnt been sooooo mad!!!!!! Maybe as mad as I was when The Rams took Greg Salas......good thing hes with the Pats now......or even Pisa Tinoisamoa playing for the Rams his whole career........I really hated to see that.....

WTF is going on in this post? Is this an auto-correct fail, or what?