LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

NFL admits officials, replay assistant screwed up on 49ers fumble

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/20/nfl-admits-officials-replay-assistant-screwed-up-on-49ers-fumble/related/

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
we won so dont curr

I'd rather they change the stupid " stopped forward progress" rule...

*cough*Ahmad Bradshaw*cough*

/thread
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/thread

My first thoughts as well.

/thread

Agree but I'm not sure if there's a good alternative.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

/thread

Agree but I'm not sure if there's a good alternative.

Here's my alternative:

1. If the runner is attempting forward progress, the runner assumes liability of losing possession. Even if no forward progress is achieved, the play is still live.
2. If the runner surrenders any advancement, then the play is over.

I also don't like the fact that if the offense fumbles, and they recover, they can advance the ball. It should go back to the original place of fumble, and not where you regain possession, unless it would be behind the original point of fumble. This would prevent the offense from fumbling forwards, and gaining yardage. i think that only the defense should be able to advance the ball if they recover.
dhnf says: Dec 20, 2012 9:37 AM Did they also admit to:

Wilfork's ripping Kaep's helmet sideways? (no call)Pass Interference for a 50 yard free play in the end zone on Tarell Brown when their feet got tangled (Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders AND Mike Pereirera all said it was an awful call). That gave them a free TD.Aldon Smith getting held on every play for about 4 consecutive 2nd half drives.The unsportsmanlike conduct against Dashon Goldson on Hernandez which supposedly was helmet to helmet was an OBVIOUS no helmet shot on the replay.Brady had two easy intentional grounding plays when he was about to get sacked. Neither was called or even discussed.The Delanie Walker "fumble." He never had possession of and this was reviewed too…Tom Brady screaming at the refs when he didn't get his way.Tom Brady screaming and spiking the ball when the refs gave us our timeout.

this guy is on point.
Called it during the game day thread. It didn't seem like they reviewed the play at all then and this confirms it.

So much for "all turnovers are reviewed by the booth"
they do this once a game anyways..
  • Jiks
If the NFL wasn't about to get sued for a huge amount of money by former players I'd be more pissed about the Dashon call. But refs have no other option. If it's a questionable hit, then they have to call it. Now it was a clean hit imo, but I understand them making that call. The NFL has to protect it's players, especially with all this concussion talk and lawsuits pending.

Sucks ass, but the NFL has to now protect itself. Can't blame the refs for making these calls.

Funny. Virtually every poster on the Patriots site during the game thought it was a correct call. Imagine that. In fact, most of them thought the refs were giving the game to San Francisco.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
rogers b***hass should've scored anyway. I knew when he didn't get in that it would cost us at least 4 pts.
Originally posted by rxrunner:
dhnf says: Dec 20, 2012 9:37 AM Did they also admit to:

Wilfork's ripping Kaep's helmet sideways? (no call)Pass Interference for a 50 yard free play in the end zone on Tarell Brown when their feet got tangled (Marshall Faulk and Deion Sanders AND Mike Pereirera all said it was an awful call). That gave them a free TD.Aldon Smith getting held on every play for about 4 consecutive 2nd half drives.The unsportsmanlike conduct against Dashon Goldson on Hernandez which supposedly was helmet to helmet was an OBVIOUS no helmet shot on the replay.Brady had two easy intentional grounding plays when he was about to get sacked. Neither was called or even discussed.The Delanie Walker "fumble." He never had possession of and this was reviewed too…Tom Brady screaming at the refs when he didn't get his way.Tom Brady screaming and spiking the ball when the refs gave us our timeout.

this guy is on point.

Saw that, too, and gave his post a thumbs up...too bad a lot of people disagreed with actual facts.
  • Jiks
Also must add the 17+ minutes it took to resolve Ginn's fumble.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
rogers b***hass should've scored anyway. I knew when he didn't get in that it would cost us at least 4 pts.

and goldson too
Share 49ersWebzone