LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

QBs 30 and under: Power Rankings top 20

Shop 49ers game tickets
The Luck/CK debate in another thread got me thinking about the QB landscape in the NFL going forward. Here's a quick stab at a rankings. Bring it on with some input and criticism! I had to double-check some ages I wasn't sure on, so FYI here are some notable too-old-for-this-list omissions: Drew Brees (33), Tony Romo (32), Phillip Rivers (31), Matt Shaub (31), Eli Manning (31).

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Robert Griffin III
6. Matt Ryan
7. Russell Wilson
8. Cam Newton
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Joe Flacco
11. Josh Freeman
12. Andy Dalton
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Jake Locker
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Nick Foles
19. Christian Ponder
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

EDIT1: FYI for readers and contributors, the criterion I was going for here is more akin to "who would you take for the next 5-8 years" than "who would you take for the championship game tomorrow."

EDIT2: Here is a tweaked list based on input and further consideration.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Robert Griffin III
5. Colin Kaepernick
6. Matt Ryan
7. Cam Newton
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Russell Wilson
10. Andy Dalton
11. Joe Flacco
12. Josh Freeman
13. Alex Smith
14.Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Ryan Tannehill
17. Nick Foles
18. Christian Ponder
19. Jake Locker
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM ]
RG3 should be ahead of Kaep at this point imo.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
The Luck/CK debate in another thread got me thinking about the QB landscape in the NFL going forward. Here's a quick stab at a rankings. Bring it on with some input and criticism! I had to double-check some ages I wasn't sure on, so FYI here are some notable too-old-for-this-list omissions: Drew Brees (33), Tony Romo (32), Phillip Rivers (31), Matt Shaub (31), Eli Manning (31).

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Robert Griffin III
6. Matt Ryan
7. Russell Wilson
8. Cam Newton
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Joe Flacco
11. Josh Freeman
12. Andy Dalton
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Jake Locker
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Nick Foles
19. Christian Ponder
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

really, people HAVE GOT to stop overrating Kap. Over RG3? Really?

Ruseel Wilson is too high and is definitely not better than Cam. Dalton >> Freeman/Flacco. Jake Locker should barely be above Fitz
Originally posted by vrabbit:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Robert Griffin III
6. Matt Ryan
7. Russell Wilson
8. Cam Newton
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Joe Flacco
11. Josh Freeman
12. Andy Dalton
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Jake Locker
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Nick Foles
19. Christian Ponder
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

Ruseel Wilson is too high and is definitely not better than Cam. Dalton >> Freeman/Flacco. Jake Locker should barely be above Fitz

Aside from the obvious homerism, I guess I just like that CK is so much bigger and stronger than RGIII with seemingly the same upside in all other areas and currently a higher QBR. I like some of your input. New list!

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Robert Griffin III
5. Colin Kaepernick
6. Matt Ryan
7. Cam Newton
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Russell Wilson
10. Andy Dalton
11. Joe Flacco
12. Josh Freeman
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Ryan Tannehill
17. Nick Foles
18. Christian Ponder
19. Jake Locker
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Colin Kaepernick
5. Robert Griffin III
6. Matt Ryan
7. Russell Wilson
8. Cam Newton
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Joe Flacco
11. Josh Freeman
12. Andy Dalton
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Jake Locker
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Nick Foles
19. Christian Ponder
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

Aside from the obvious homerism, I guess I just like that CK is so much bigger and stronger than RGIII with seemingly the same upside in all other areas and currently a higher QBR. I like some of your input. New list!

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Andrew Luck
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Robert Griffin III
5. Colin Kaepernick
6. Matt Ryan
7. Cam Newton
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Russell Wilson
10. Andy Dalton
11. Joe Flacco
12. Josh Freeman
13. Alex Smith
14. Jay Cutler
15. Sam Bradford
16. Ryan Tannehill
17. Nick Foles
18. Christian Ponder
19. Jake Locker
20. Ryan Fitzpatrick

pushover
lol not but seriously, I haven't even done research on the subject, those were my opinions based on the names and list you posted
lol not but seriously, I haven't even done research on the subject, those were my opinions based on the names and list you posted

Well I put it together in 5 minutes. After consideration I agreed with your points. Of course there are some guys in the lower half of the list I haven't seen many plays from. Not claiming to be a scout, just dinkin around.
Rodgers, Big Ben, Ryan, Luck, RG3, Dalton, Kaep would be my top 7. Not high on Cam, never was, too much hype IMO.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Rodgers, Big Ben, Ryan, Luck, RG3, Dalton, Kaep would be my top 7. Not high on Cam, never was, too much hype IMO.

I think if you take out Dalton, you've got the 6 with superstar potential (including the ones who have already arrived, of course). I think you're a bit high on Dalton. Despite a fluke Pro Bowl berth as a rookie, people around the league already seem to think of him in the Alex Smith mold of not having top 10 QB upside. I think Wilson has already shown us more "clutch" factor, leadership, and raw physical tools than Dalton.

Cam can go either way, I'll give you that. His stock has gone up the last three weeks.
kaep is to high

• Jcool
  • Veteran
If Luck is ahead of RG3 then you are a homer.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
kaep is to high

I will admit that the thing that allows me to homerly rationalize putting him over guys like Ryan and Stafford is that he has had less chance to look bad so far. Maybe I should give those guys more respect for their proven huge numbers, but it seems like Kaep might be more likely to lead a good team to a title than either of those inconsistent choke artists.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I meant to ask, is this in order? Do you actually think Matt Ryan is going to have a better career than Andrew Luck?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
kaep is to high

What makes you think he's high???? is it his tattoos????
lol is this serious? Culter at 14? O_o Kaep ahead of RG3, and Luck ahead of a 2 time SB winner. delete this troll thread pls.
Share 49ersWebzone