LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

"Forward Progress" on Plays with a Fumble

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, I just watched highlights of the Saints @ Falcons game last night on Thursday Night Football. One play was really interesting to me:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000102851/Bush-recovers-Turner-fumble

So, overall, I think it was a questionable call, but I won't complain. It was a fair call. Turner was getting a few more yards, but was eventually stopped. He was being pushed parrallel, if not backwards, for a good 2 seconds. The refs never blew a whistle. Turner also had 4-6 defenders on him before being brought down.

Now, why is this not a fumble?

I'm sorry to have you guys watch this again. I'm sure most of you know what it is, so you don't have to watch it if you don't want. I'll understand. But anyway, the recap on this play is as follows:

1. Bradshaw catches the ball at the 14 yard line.
2. Bradshaw's forward progress is stopped by Goldson at the 21 yard line.
3. Bowman strips the ball from Bradshaw at the 19.5 half yard line as Bradshaw is in the process of being tackled.
4. The whole process from Goldson stopping Bradshaw's progress to Bradshaw fumbling is 1 second.

Now, wtf. I know the "forward progress being stopped" rule is subjective to the refs, but these two plays alone show how differently the refs are calling it. And not to mention this was the NFCCG with the game on the line. Yes, I'm still a little bitter, but what Niner fan isn't? This is a rule that I'd like to be more concrete, a player's forward progress cannot be stopped until after the player has been stopped for 2 seconds or more. This goes for both ways, I've seen running backs break tackles after being stood up by 2-3 defenders, and many teams I've seen fumbles be taken away after the player gets stood up, and fumbles a half a second later.

Any other opinions on this? I forget the game, but I know another game this year we caused a fumble due to stone walling a player. The fumble got overturned and the other team maintained possession. This rule is way too subjective in my opinion. It honestly pisses me off.
My blood boils
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
So, I just watched highlights of the Saints @ Falcons game last night on Thursday Night Football. One play was really interesting to me:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000102851/Bush-recovers-Turner-fumble

So, overall, I think it was a questionable call, but I won't complain. It was a fair call. Turner was getting a few more yards, but was eventually stopped. He was being pushed parrallel, if not backwards, for a good 2 seconds. The refs never blew a whistle. Turner also had 4-6 defenders on him before being brought down.

Now, why is this not a fumble?

I'm sorry to have you guys watch this again. I'm sure most of you know what it is, so you don't have to watch it if you don't want. I'll understand. But anyway, the recap on this play is as follows:

1. Bradshaw catches the ball at the 14 yard line.
2. Bradshaw's forward progress is stopped by Goldson at the 21 yard line.
3. Bowman strips the ball from Bradshaw at the 19.5 half yard line as Bradshaw is in the process of being tackled.
4. The whole process from Goldson stopping Bradshaw's progress to Bradshaw fumbling is 1 second.

Now, wtf. I know the "forward progress being stopped" rule is subjective to the refs, but these two plays alone show how differently the refs are calling it. And not to mention this was the NFCCG with the game on the line. Yes, I'm still a little bitter, but what Niner fan isn't? This is a rule that I'd like to be more concrete, a player's forward progress cannot be stopped until after the player has been stopped for 2 seconds or more. This goes for both ways, I've seen running backs break tackles after being stood up by 2-3 defenders, and many teams I've seen fumbles be taken away after the player gets stood up, and fumbles a half a second later.

Any other opinions on this? I forget the game, but I know another game this year we caused a fumble due to stone walling a player. The fumble got overturned and the other team maintained possession. This rule is way too subjective in my opinion. It honestly pisses me off.

what pisses me off about that play is that the whistle blew AFTER THE FUMBLE.......
I want to see these f**kers in the playoffs again, and send their asses packing. I even have dreams about all of Candlestick singing that goodbye song as the Giants walk of dejected off our field.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
IMHO it should be after 3 seconds of stoppage to blow the whistle. 3 seconds is the minimum i'd like. Less snap judgement and gives the player a legitimate to break tackles.
Rule should add the following:
1 The play is over if forward progress has stopped AND the player with the ball submits.
2 The play continues even if forward progress has stopped, AND the player with the ball is attempting forward progress.
watching it wont overturn it. EVERYONE KNOWS they didnt want us to win it

//////////////////////////
We were screwed last year and will redeem ourselves this year. This was a joke, but we have to realize that referees are different for every game and they make judgement calls..they are human. We shouldnt blame the game on this one call...Kyle shouldnt have fumbled once and let the ball bounce off his leg another time...

Should be going for back-to-back doe
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
I shouldn't have watched that vid

just go watch highlights last weeks game. that'll take some edge off.
it's b******t! If the guy is still fighting for yards and doesn't go down, the play should not be blown dead

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I saw that play last night too and though, "Where the f**k is the forward progress call we seem to always get"??? Fkn b******t. NFL needs to address it. Whistle should be the end of a play, end of story.
A travesty.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
what pisses me off about that play is that the whistle blew AFTER THE FUMBLE.......

Whats worse, the ref saw the fumble, saw that we recovered, and ran in like a madman with his whistle to try and declare it forward progress..
Two plays come to mind, Bradshaw fumble that should of been in NFC title game, and last week Fumble should of been when no one blew the whistle. They need a better system of these forward progress crap.
i dont ever want to see this f**king b******t play from the nfc championship again. absolute horse s**t
Share 49ersWebzone