LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Does the NFL need to modify the Pass Interference rule?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Does the NFL need to modify the Pass Interference rule?

I think these rules (listed below) seem fair IMO

Offensive PI:
15 yard + LOSS OF DOWN

Defensive PI: Based on the refs "judgement".
Spot foul
OR
10 (or 15) yard penalty
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:

Offensive PI:
15 yard + LOSS OF DOWN

Spot foul
OR
10 (or 15) yard penalty
So what happens if it's offensive PI and it's 4th down? Why does the down matter in this case?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
So what happens if it's offensive PI and it's 4th down? Why does the down matter in this case?

what happens with intentional grounding on 4th down?

Loss of down is equivalent to NOT replaying the down , like on a hold
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

what happens with intentional grounding on 4th down?

Loss of down is equivalent to NOT replaying the down , like on a hold
Looks like this topic has been debated for quite a while. I have no qualms with the OPI 15 yds and loss of downs. In college it's a straight up 15 yd max.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that spot of foul on defense is fkn retarded. They need to make it a 15 yard penalty.
They need to loosen up on all the calls. A little contact should be allowed. This breath on the guy and get flagged is b******t.
No way can you make it a judgement call for the ref whether it's a spot foul or 10 (15)yards.
The spot foul is just full retard, you don't even know if the receiver is going to catch it if he isn't interfered with when the CB gently caresses the WR causing him to fall down. They need to make it a 15 yard penalty.

Offensive PI:
15 yard + LOSS OF DOWN

Spot foul
OR
10 (or 15) yard penalty
I was going to post a "rules that need modification" thread. In fact, im doing so right now. Now, I am going to agree with your new rule changes.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
that spot of foul on defense is fkn retarded. They need to make it a 15 yard penalty.

The spot foul was created because teams would easily take the penalty then giving up a TD

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

The spot foul was created because teams would easily take the penalty then giving up a TD

That's true, but it works well in college. Most of the time defenders choose to play the ball rather than take a 15 yard penalty. The spot foul is too harsh.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

That's true, but it works well in college. Most of the time defenders choose to play the ball rather than take a 15 yard penalty. The spot foul is too harsh.

this
15 yards and automatic first down

most of the time its chicken s**t hand fighting that's going on that could result in 40+ yard penalty

Look at it this way

Jacksonville with the 32nd ranked offense avg 4.8 yards per play
a 40 yard PI penalty is like giving them 8 free offensive plays

It's pretty stupid when you think about it
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
The spot foul is just full retard, you don't even know if the receiver is going to catch it if he isn't interfered with when the CB gently caresses the WR causing him to fall down. They need to make it a 15 yard penalty.

Critics have always said that this incentivizes PI though. Teams would gladly take a 15 yard penalty than give up a bomb.
Should be 15 yards or spot of foul if under 15 w/ automatic 1st.
[ Edited by captveg on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM ]
with all these WR's flopping and throwing their arms up after every bomb the league should switch it to a 15 yarder. more incentive for a WR to actually fight for the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone