LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Head Coach Mike Nolan?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JBrack:
We had some pretty good talent drafted under Nolan and he layed the foundation for this team beleive it or not. He was the one who instilled the smash mouth never say die mentality that our players embrace. Nolan was also the one who was huge on the character of a player. Passing up many of good players via the draft and FA to change the attitude of this team. He cut out all of the locker room cancers and replaced them with high character guys. He also brought in Singletary who helped drive that point home with the players. Who better to preach it than a battle tested HOF hard nosed legend? Nolan is the one who should get credit for changing the attitude of this program. He wasnt much of a Xs and Os coach, but his work was/is the foundation and reason for our current success. Nolan couldnt keep an OC here and that was his down fall. If McCarthy or Norve would have stayed, Nolan might still be our head coach!

We had some pretty good talent drafted under Nolan and he layed the foundation for this team beleive it or not. He was the one who instilled the smash mouth never say die mentality that our players embrace. Nolan was also the one who was huge on the character of a player. Passing up many of good players via the draft and FA to change the attitude of this team. He cut out all of the locker room cancers and replaced them with high character guys. He also brought in Singletary who helped drive that point home with the players. Who better to preach it than a battle tested HOF hard nosed legend? Nolan is the one who should get credit for changing the attitude of this program. He wasnt much of a Xs and Os coach, but his work was/is the foundation and reason for our current success. Nolan couldnt keep an OC here and that was his down fall. If McCarthy or Norve would have stayed, Nolan might still be our head coach!

Well put....his downfall IMO was Martz instead of Cameron....had Norv stayed...Nolan probably would still be here
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Still can't believe i let that douche sign my niner hoodie

Btw, was Nolan DC of Denver when we played them in London?

I know we missed out on him in Miami and we will have to wait for Atlanta. Looking forward to disciplining his team!
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Well put....his downfall IMO was Martz instead of Cameron....had Norv stayed...Nolan probably would still be here

Yeah that Martz signing was a head scratcher. If memory serves me, We had given up the most sacks in the league (56ish) prior to Martz. Then we go out and sign the guy whos QBs always get sacked a ton. Not only that, but they get sacked because of the aggressive downfield nature of playbook. Problem was, we didnt have any players that could consistently get open downfield. Even if we did, its not like our Oline was capable of blocking for it. That move made no sense what so ever.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Yeah that Martz signing was a head scratcher. If memory serves me, We had given up the most sacks in the league (56ish) prior to Martz. Then we go out and sign the guy whos QBs always get sacked a ton. Not only that, but they get sacked because of the aggressive downfield nature of playbook. Problem was, we didnt have any players that could consistently get open downfield. Even if we did, its not like our Oline was capable of blocking for it. That move made no sense what so ever.

Ya it was just a desperate move by Nolan to try and save his job, and obviously it didnt work
WEDB
f**k mike nolan. i hope the raiders or seahawks get him so we can laugh at them. any team that picks this guy up as a head coach is a dumbass team
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Get this out of NT. The guy was the 2nd worst catastrophe to happen to the 49ers in the recent era. Biggest was Sing. I want to forget these guys exist.
Erickson wasn't that great either, did you forget 2-14?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Get this out of NT. The guy was the 2nd worst catastrophe to happen to the 49ers in the recent era. Biggest was Sing. I want to forget these guys exist.
Erickson wasn't that great either, did you forget 2-14?
nolan is third on the list. he did lay the ground work and brought justin in..... sing and erickson where the two worst. those two on the ends and nolan in the middle,, a very very sad oreo cookie
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I'm not saying you're wrong -- but is there evidence that "Everyone hates him and he doesn't seem to want to change that?"

He went to Denver with the crazy man Josh McDaniels... I'm not hearing hatred coming out of Atlanta..

I have no idea if he'd be a good coach. But from an unbiased standpoint - I bet he'd be better than he was here.

Its only been 4 games.

He also went one and done with Miami.

Miami cleaned house but the defense wasn't really the issue there IMO.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Btw, was Nolan DC of Denver when we played them in London?

I know we missed out on him in Miami and we will have to wait for Atlanta. Looking forward to disciplining his team!

No. McDaniels was in Denver for two years. Nolan left after the first year.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Ya it was just a desperate move by Nolan to try and save his job, and obviously it didnt work

Wasn't Martz like his last option after people turned him down? Kind of like what happened to Singletary?
Bad as we were under him, he did play a big part in getting our D where it is today.
Mixed feelings on Nolan. On the one hand, he did land several good players for us, but on the other he had no idea how to actually coach them. Also, I never cared for the way he threw Alex under the bus, basically publicly calling Smith out for not healing fast enough for his liking.

Our problems on offense were partially his fault but moreso just an amazing streak of bad luck. No one can really plan for two consecutive OC's being hired away for head coaching gigs (McCarthy and Norv), and being either turned down (Cam Cameron, Scott Linehan) or denied permission to interview (Ken Zampese) any other viable candidates.

IMO, by the time Martz came on our radar, it was already too late for Nolan to save his job. At that point he was just going through the motions.

Still, I think that based on his ability to draft and sign talent, he'd probably make a good GM (or personnel director).
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM ]

i wished we hired cam cameron
Eff mm
Share 49ersWebzone