There are 176 users in the forums

Head Coach Mike Nolan?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I don't care for Nolan because he tried and failed horribly as a 49er HC. I don't care for him nor how well he might be doing elsewhere. He was a jerk here and he was a turnoff to many players while he was here and he came off as a complete moron in his head coaching capacity. Under his reign we got away from the WCO and we were a laughingstock. Aside from that he couldn't even carve out a preseason roster spot so that Jerry Rice could retire a 49er. What an arrogant, self-absorbed douchebag!! Most of the former 49er players during our glory years stayed away and had little to say of him

We were a laughing stock before he took over. You do realize this was the team he took over

Final record: 2-14 (honestly should have been 0-16, but the Cards screwed that up by losing both games in OT by the same score, basically we got lucky).

30 out of 32 in total offense
32 out of 32 in defense
-19 in turnovers (31st in the NFL)

Within two years, Nolan had this team at a 7-9 record and things were looking up until Smith's injury, then the wheels fell off.

Nolan may have had issues as a coach, but you can't deny his impact on the team. We wouldn't be where we are today without some of the personnel moves that he made.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Look I want to say thank you to Nolan.

This team that we have right now was his vision he had when he was coach/gm. Attacking 3-4 D, run first WCO. Most of these players here were because he drafted them....and bringing in Justin Smith.

Yeah he could have handled things differently wit Alex...and instead of going after Cam Cameron, he went for Mike Martz, clearly we had all the weapons for a Cam Cameron run offense, not a Martz led offense.

Singletary's promotion was a bad move after Nolan

So this post is to say Thank You. Because our drafts went to crap when McClueless took over the drafts instead of Nolan. The year after we drafted Willis.

Again we would not be in this position had it not been for Nolan's strategy for building this team.

Now adding Harbaugh and Baalke, has only prepared us for now and the future, and I am glad to say that we are in a great position now!
the biggest thing nolan should have done was to re sign jeff garcia who made it very public he wanted to come back to the niners. i feel that would have been a much better situation for alex than what happened to him.

If I remember correctly our salary cap situation would not have allowed for two highly paid qbs
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This team that we have right now was his vision he had when he was coach/gm. Attacking 3-4 D, run first WCO. Most of these players here were because he drafted them....and bringing in Justin Smith.

Yeah he could have handled things differently wit Alex...and instead of going after Cam Cameron, he went for Mike Martz, clearly we had all the weapons for a Cam Cameron run offense, not a Martz led offense.

So this post is to say Thank You. Because our drafts went to crap when McClueless took over the drafts instead of Nolan. The year after we drafted Willis.

Again we would not be in this position had it not been for Nolan's strategy for building this team.

Now adding Harbaugh and Baalke, has only prepared us for now and the future, and I am glad to say that we are in a great position now!
the biggest thing nolan should have done was to re sign jeff garcia who made it very public he wanted to come back to the niners. i feel that would have been a much better situation for alex than what happened to him.

If I remember correctly our salary cap situation would not have allowed for two highly paid qbs

Garcia would've signed for the vet min.
Nolan days were dark, but not as dark as the time Dennis Erickson pretended to coach the 9ers.............
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Garcia would've signed for the vet min.

Lol no he would not have! A pro bowl QB still in his prime with no talent on the team surely would not have signed for the minimum!!
Originally posted by Brando85:
We're just a couple of weeks away from the four year anniversary of Mike Nolan getting the ax...let us all take moment and remember the tan man with suit and tie tendancies...Great thanks.

Nolan's tenure represents the darkest days of fandom in my 27 years of existance, but I often wonder if given another head coaching opportunity if he now has the experience and attitude to actually succeed?

After a disappointing first season in SF, I became a believer by the end of 2006 when we finished 7-9. I bought into the buzz that we had the makings of a 10 or 11 win season as we headed in the '07 season. Obviously that year instead signaled "the only a matter of time" as it pertained to Mike Nolan losing his job. He publicly clashed with Alex and the identity of the team was nowhere to be found. Unable to truly assemble a coaching staff and build any consistency on the offensive side (coordinator and personel) were always quite glaring to most.

I do wonder now though, given that whole experience, and the fact that he's been able to put out good to very good defenses with Denver, Miami, and now Atlanta, if enough has passed that he would be considered a strong candidate for a head coaching opportunity. The stink of his time here may not be completely removed, but it seems like enough time has passed for him to stand on a newly minted track record.

And I'm not even suggesting that he should be a head coach, I would just love to hear your thoughts on his coaching future, as he was such a polarizing figure.

Hey Marlon,

Leave the Mike Nolan. Take the Cannoli.
great cordinator terrible head coach
Always loved Nolan. He's a smart guy who made some mistakes, the big one being push Alex back and calling him out. However the guy started to build this defense which is now the best in the league and he was a good guy. I hope he gets another shot but in the meantime he's one hell of a DC.

I'd give him a pass on not signing Garcia. What Nolan should have done was retaining Rattay through 2005, instead of trading him for a 6th round pick (which the team used to draft Marcus Hudson.) Let's not forget that Smith did a decent job in 2006. Not great, but decent enough to point to a potentially better 2007 had Turner stayed.
NolanHasAPlan

Originally posted by kemp_j:
Nolan days were dark, but not as dark as the time Dennis Erickson pretended to coach the 9ers.............

I think Sing was worse because he had so much more talent to work with. His talent level was just a notch below what Harbaugh currently has. Look at the different results... We would still be 6 - 10 with Sing or worse. Believe that.
I'm not a Nolan guy.
The best Mike Nolan video ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoJbh08n3c
[ Edited by dcsham on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM ]
He helped build up the defense. He just never got it done on offense. If McCarthy or Norv wouldve stuck around, maybe he'd sill be the man. He felt compelled to go with Hostler to give the offense a little consistancy. That was the beginning of the end for him.
Originally posted by strickac:
He helped build up the defense. He just never got it done on offense. If McCarthy or Norv wouldve stuck around, maybe he'd sill be the man. He felt compelled to go with Hostler to give the offense a little consistancy. That was the beginning of the end for him.

He was an idiot. Terrible with the players. Basically called Alex Smith a p***y in public...really? If he was head coach material, he would have a HC job by now. His defenses always start hot, then fade...why hasn't he been able to keep a job with the same team over the last few years?

f**k him, and the horse he rode in on.
[ Edited by dcsham on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone