There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Head Coach Mike Nolan?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
What a terrible hiring. Man, that fool sucked.
I can't ever remember a person being given such power with no experience. As I recall didn't he also have the GM duties his first few years? No concept of offense. It would have been interesting if Norv Turner had stayed on as offensive coordinator.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Mike Nolan wasn't too bad imo, the personnel he put around him however was horrible, and his in-game decisions were garbage. He brought in the core of our current team though

People forget that part. Nolan took over the 2004 Erickson team, which was one of the worst rosters I can remember seeing in a LONG, LONG time. Most Pac-10 teams at the time could beat that squad, that's how bad it was. To his credit, Nolan laid a decent foundation personnel-wise for what is today's Super Bowl contending team. To his detriment, he was in WAY over his head and just didn't have what it takes to be a successful head coach.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I can't ever remember a person being given such power with no experience. As I recall didn't he also have the GM duties his first few years? No concept of offense. It would have been interesting if Norv Turner had stayed on as offensive coordinator.

A lot of this. He might've done better if he was just HC and not acting as GM too. Too much too soon for a 1st time HC.
I am just glad that the chain of events has led us to this head coach. Harbaugh will be for for a while. Would not be surprised if the hire turns out to be a 10 year plus arrangement.
Mike Nolan brought himself AND Mike Singletary to the 49ers. Let that sink in for a minute...
wrong forum
Spoiled kid growing up, cocky, bad coach, bad person that throws his own players under the bus publicly w/o every taking any blame, basically an all around POS. I always root against this two faced coward.
Nolan was too focused on doing things HIS WAY .....having two defensive minded coaches that tried too hard to put their stamp on the offense, really hurt us and we took steps backwards , and didnt really make any improvements on offense while we had Nolan and Sing ...Nolan and Sing had no business being part of planning the offensive attack, and having OC's like Jim Hostler, Mike Johnson and Jimmy Raye didnt do anything to improve our attack on offense over those few seasons.

I'm glad we brought in Harbs to clean up that mess, now we have a competitive team that obviously is improving as the season progresses

and in the future, if we ever hire another HC with a background in defense, we better make damn sure we have a talented and creative OC to run the offense , plus a QB's Coach that could take over as OC, using the SAME system if we lost our OC , because having a different offensive system every damn year, prevented us from improving and held us back.
This thread is lame
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This thread is lame

Championship.
Wasn't as bad as Dennis Erickson, pretty bad though.
IMO

He is a good defensive minded coach. He's also very good in the draft war room.

He just isn't a HEAD coach. He can't control the entire locker room.

Singletary was a good motivator ,but didn't know the x's and o's as well as an above average NFL coach.

They both had their weaknesses outshine their strengths.
He was a