LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

*** WEEK 3 NFL GAMEDAY THREAD 9/20 - 9/24 ***

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://www.theonion.com/articles/steve-young-suffers-concussion-attempting-to-expla,29683/
Originally posted by schmons:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
jennings never had his feet on the ground as tate grabbed the ball and also got possession. how can you call that an interception 10 feet in the air? 2 feet on the ground guys.

Tate did not maintain possession going to the ground, he took one hand off...... even before that, one hand was one jennings hand.

forget simultaneous catch, Tate NEVER had full control of the ball. Jennings had both hands on the ball, went to the ground, and brought the ball to his chest.

you guys gotta put the call into perspective. real time and in person, its tough to tell who came down with it and who had possession or if he had 1 hand or 2 hands on, but it wasn't an interception when Jennings caught the ball initially at the top of his jump. we're all making this call based on the multiple slow-mo replay we have seen of the game. The ruling on the field was made and it was tough to over-turn with that evidence.

The play went to review.

and yes. there was enough evidence to overturn.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The refs missed the call, but I think people are forgetting how abominable the regular refs have been the past few years. Suddenly, the regular guys are geniuses. I don't buy it.

I actually agree with this. Remember Calvin Johnson's TD that was called back? If that same play had happened in this game, on this stage. People would be making a massive deal about it just like they are with this play. That being said, it wasn't the only glaring miss the refs made on this night. While our regular guys are pretty terrible, these knuckleheads are s**t stains on the regular ref's trousers.

Also interesting to note. My cousin was at this game and he claims that not one replay of the touchdown was played on the jumbotron. It sounds like even the guys running the show there knew it was b******t.

Actually the Calvin Johnson play was not an error by the official. It was a horrible rule.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/steve-young-suffers-concussion-attempting-to-expla,29683/

That's freak'n funny Poor Steve...
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest NFL has released statement on officiating Monday night
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest NFL: "Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty"
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest NFL: "The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball."

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest NFL: " In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone."
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest NFL: "The result of the game is final."

normally i'm over it by the next day when this kind of BS happens in the NFL..... but.... this time.....
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Some thoughts....
1) Clearly an interception and anyone thinking that this was a simultaneous catch is nuts. Pictures don't lie
2) The ref who called the TD clearly did not have the best look. The back judge who really had the only good look called it an interception.

3) and most important... the real failure was by the NFL replay officials who could have easily overturned the call and done the right thing. Anyone could see
that the official making the TD call was out of position and that the proper call was an interception. Still can't believe this call was not overturned.

Possession isn't reveiwable believe it or not on a scoring play. Idiotic, but true.
Not true

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.
i will defend this as a touchdown, straight to the bank with it.
i will defend this as a touchdown, straight to the bank with it.

go on..............
The NFL released a statement Tuesday confirming that the result of Monday night's controversial Seahawks vs. Packers game will stand.

The statement concedes that Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference, but does not dispute the (erroneous) simultaneous possession ruling. "Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. ... In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. ... Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review. The result of the game is final."
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The NFL released a statement Tuesday confirming that the result of Monday night's controversial Seahawks vs. Packers game will stand.

The statement concedes that Golden Tate should have been called for offensive pass interference, but does not dispute the (erroneous) simultaneous possession ruling. "Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. ... In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. ... Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review. The result of the game is final."

basically the NFL is throwing wayne elliott under the bus.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

But of course... Herm Edwards said it best -- even 3 drunk guys saw it right.
even the procedures the referees took.

normally what you'd see in this instance would be the head referee come in cleaning up the mess, calling a conference between the two referees who had different calls. and he'd make a decision based on what they saw.

what happened here was, two referees watching the flight of the ball (only way i can explain them missing that Off-PI), them allowing a scrum to break out, them allowing all kinds of extra players to enter the mix, allowing the camera man to stick his nose in the huddle, no conference, put the game in the replay officials hand.... allowed GB to walk off the field.
does the nfl still has the leveraqge? I think not!.!.
another thing i noticed during last nights game. on the play where aaron rodgers was scrambling for a first down and was ruled short, had a measurement and everything then it went to replay before it was overturned. Why did they not measure the spot of the ball again after overturning the call? They gave the packers a first down based on the video and that was that. ive never seen it happen like that before.
I knew the NFL would never admit to a mistake. That was a clear interception. Even Larry Fitzgerald said that it was NOT a catch. I hope something this tragic never happens to the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone