There are 309 users in the forums

art modell dead

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Wow! tough crowd...a man just passed away and we're ripping him for his past. He helped build the NFL the way it is today...so RIP Art!!! My deepest sympathy to the family
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by English:
You know this or this is your opinion?

Do you know if the franchise is making more $$$ in Bmore?

Do I know or is it my opinion that rich men can manipulate financial situations to show whatever they want to show?

Gonna assume you aren't serious with this question. Ask yourself why top accountants get paid so much.

Do you know that Art was lying that he was losing money? Or are you generalizing ALL rich men.

Remember, that is why there is a bell curve, Bc there are people on
Both sides of the spectrum.

I meant what I said. How do you think they get and stay rich? C'mon man.

Do I know or is it my opinion that rich men can manipulate financial situations to show whatever they want to show?

Gonna assume you aren't serious with this question. Ask yourself why top accountants get paid so much.

Do you know that Art was lying that he was losing money? Or are you generalizing ALL rich men.

I agree with your generalization of "rich men" to an extent. I just don't agree that your statement that Art lied about losing money is a fact, I respect it as your assumption.

On a side note, it was BS that the NFL gave Jax and Carolina a team before giving it to Bmore and I have a feeling that the NFL did that Bc they knew Art was struggling in Cleveland and Baltimore would get the team anyways via Art. Jax?!?!?! Really? Now they are shopping Jax to England as a possible move Bc it was a disaster financially.

My question to you English, if the Jaguars move to England are you going to switch over to the dark side?
  • fryet
  • Veteran

They stay rich by moving from markets where they lose 21 million. If you think that all it takes to be rich is to have good accountants, then you obviously know nothing about running a business.

I agree with your generalization of "rich men" to an extent. I just don't agree that your statement that Art lied about losing money is a fact, I respect it as your assumption.

On a side note, it was BS that the NFL gave Jax and Carolina a team before giving it to Bmore and I have a feeling that the NFL did that Bc they knew Art was struggling in Cleveland and Baltimore would get the team anyways via Art. Jax?!?!?! Really? Now they are shopping Jax to England as a possible move Bc it was a disaster financially.

My question to you English, if the Jaguars move to England are you going to switch over to the dark side?

God, no way! 49ers since 1983.
Originally posted by fryet:

They stay rich by moving from markets where they lose 21 million. If you think that all it takes to be rich is to have good accountants, then you obviously know nothing about running a business.

I have run my own business. And perhaps you could indicate precisely where I say all it takes to get rich is to have good accountants. I didn't, did I? So why did you say I did?

The point I made which you completely avoid is that you only have Modell's word that he actually lost money.
I don't know why him moving the franchise is that big of a deal to anyone. So the Cleveland fans lost their team for 3 years, then got it back with a brand new stadium. They weren't going to get a new stadium if the Browns had stayed. And let's not forget that if the Colts hadn't moved (literally in the middle of the night) from Baltimore to Indianapolis, the Browns couldn't have moved to Baltimore (but possibly Indy or somewhere else). Modell is hardly the only owner to move a sports team. The Arizona Cardinals played in Chicago when the Bears were still the Decatur Staleys. And let's not forget, our SF Giants started out as the New York Gothams in 1883. To this day, they were in NY for more years than they've been in SF. As far as moving teams go, I think Al Davis had Modell beat, and the Raiders may end up moving back to LA.

From wiki:

Impact of move

The move fueled a proliferation of 12 new stadiums throughout the NFL. Using the NFL-City of Cleveland agreement's promise to supply a team to Cleveland by 1999, several NFL franchises used the threat of relocation to coerce their respective cities to build new stadiums with public funds. Such franchises include the Broncos, Eagles, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, Cardinals, and Colts. The NFL's deal with Cleveland would set a legal precedent with other sports teams, as well.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
A person died and people want to complain about football? Sad really... it was so long ago, the Browns and their fan base need to get over it.
I can see Cleveland fans upset but not everyone else. Hell how many teams have moved in the last 15 years? You don't here people hating on those owners.
Originally posted by kingairta:
I can see Cleveland fans upset but not everyone else. Hell how many teams have moved in the last 15 years? You don't here people hating on those owners.

Ummm...one? (fifteen years ago)

Originally posted by LA9erFan:

And maybe that is why Modell is so disliked. If people here tomorrow woke up to find that the 49ers had moved overnight and were now to be called the Mexico City Marauders, how long would it take for hatred of the owners to die down?

And maybe that is why Modell is so disliked. If people here tomorrow woke up to find that the 49ers had moved overnight and were now to be called the Mexico City Marauders, how long would it take for hatred of the owners to die down?

Maybe he was referring to all professional teams including the NBA.
this thread is dying....QUICK, someone post something funny

Maybe he was referring to all professional teams including the NBA.

Who gives a crap about the NBA?
Share 49ersWebzone