LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Current NFL players Vs. NFL Legends

Shop 49ers game tickets
Basically me and this dude were discussing Jim Brown. We both agreed he was a legend, and will always be one. Then I said if he played in todays NFL, he would be average. This is where it started.

My arguement was basically that current NFL players are stronger, bigger and faster than they have ever been. Jim Brown had a great size and speed combination, and was basically a man among boys in his current generation.

His arguement was that back then in the NFL, players hit harder, were more rough and had less rules, so its easier to play right now then it was back then.

I could see how his arguement could be true, but I still stand by mine. What do you guys think? Doesnt have to be about Jim Brown specifically, but in general.
[ Edited by denali22 on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by denali22:
Basically me and this dude were discussing Jim Brown. We both agreed he was a legend, and will always be one. Then I said if he played in todays NFL, he would be average. This is where it started.

My arguement was basically that current NFL players are stronger, bigger and faster than they have ever been. Jim Brown had a great size and speed combination, and was basically a man among boys in his current generation.

His arguement was that back then in the NFL, players hit harder, were more rough and had less rules, so its easier to play right now then it was back then.

I could see how his arguement could be true, but I still stand by mine. What do you guys think? Doesnt have to be about Jim Brown specifically, but in general.

lol Jim Brown would not be average
I know what you're trying to say though, the game has changed and players are stronger, faster, bigger than ever.
But I still think its dumb to say Jim Brown would be average
Originally posted by ImaMod:
lol Jim Brown would not be average
I know what you're trying to say though, the game has changed and players are stronger, faster, bigger than ever.
But I still think its dumb to say Jim Brown would be average

Maybe. Its just my opinion. I dont think he would put up over 1500 yards against these modern defenses though.
Brown is a difficult one. Anyone who gets voted greatest player ever, has to be special.

In general, players have got bigger and faster. And defenses have got significantly better over the years. The impact of players like Lawrence Taylor changed the expectation on defenders.

So I would guess that historic players - at their playing size and fitness - would struggle in today's NFL. But of course, they wouldn't be at their historic size and fitness.
In Jim's case,guys of today dont wrap up and cant open field tackle to save their lives.(except our #52 and the 1 in Bmore)most go for big hits for the wow factor,ala Goldson.such players would either bounce off of Jim or get trucked.

defenses of today have not seen the combo of speed and power in a back like jim since Sweetness or Earl Campbell.Jim Brown w a good oline would destroy todays defenses.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:31 AM ]
If you were to go back in time and get Brown and bring him to the present and put him on the field I think he would only be average. The D line and linebackers are way bigger and faster then he went up against. Hell the LBs are heavier then most of the Dlinemen from back then.

Now if Brown was able to train and brought up in this era of football I'd say he would be one of the best if not the best.

If Jim Brown played in todays NFL he would train like todays NFL players therefore he would also be bigger, stronger and faster than he was during his career. His genetics were supreme like that of a Patrick Willis or Adrian Peterson. They call these guys thoroughbreds
Originally posted by kingairta:
If you were to go back in time and get Brown and bring him to the present and put him on the field I think he would only be average. The D line and linebackers are way bigger and faster then he went up against. Hell the LBs are heavier then most of the Dlinemen from back then.

Now if Brown was able to train and brought up in this era of football I'd say he would be one of the best if not the best.

thats exactly what im saying!
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
In Jim's case,guys of today dont wrap up and cant open field tackle to save their lives.(except our #52 and the 1 in Bmore)most go for big hits for the wow factor,ala Goldson.such players would either bounce off of Jim or get trucked.

defenses of today have not seen the combo of speed and power in a back like jim since Sweetness or Earl Campbell.Jim Brown w a good oline would destroy todays defenses.

true but you could also debate that players like goldson would be the size of linebackers back then. werent linebackers only like 200lbs? and lineman maybe 240? times have changed!
It's a fun debate but you can't take it too seriously.

Remember that back then a lot of teams ran the s*** out of the ball and still got the yardage. The 2003 yard effort by OJ Simpson was done on a team with a very mediocre passing offense, with the defense still knowing they'd run it.

Could the same be said about Chris Johnson's team? I don't know.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Barry Sanders would and still is the best pure runner ever. No matter the era, you can watch the tape and see that s**t.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Chief:
Barry Sanders would and still is the best pure runner ever. No matter the era, you can watch the tape and see that s**t.

that. best there ever was. I'd watch lions games just to see him carry the ball.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Fresh49.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Chief:

that. best there ever was. I'd watch lions games just to see him carry the ball.

since the subject of film has come up,Sanders's predesesor,Gayle Sayers was better.plus he was a great returner.

you can also see ALL 11 defenders touch Jim before he got to the endzone.he either outran,bulldozed or carried em on his way.plus they got their #'s in shorter seasons.

Barry loss plenty of yards consistently wit all that dancin.not sure if Jim EVER went backwards.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Jim was bigger and stronger than most of the defenders trying to tackle him. He'd basically be Brandon Jacobs in today's NFL. There is no one in the NFL you can compare barry to.
Well he's rated 99 in Madden.

Your buddy's argument is weak. Athletes these days are far superior to the athletes of even 30 years ago. Jim Brown played 50 years ago. He was a far superior athlete to the other guys of his time and, while football had less rules then, it was also less dynamic. Game plans were nowhere near as advanced as they are now. Put a guy like Barry Sanders in a time with inferior athletes and insufficient defensive game plans and the records he would have set would be insurmountable.

I agree that Jim Brown, in today's NFL, would not be considered one of the best athletes to ever play the game. He wouldn't even be in the discussion for best current RB. He was physically superior to his competition 50 years ago. He wouldn't be bigger, stronger or faster than today's defenders - not even if he trained the way they do, because almost all of today's athletes are "thoroughbreds" - and the game plans of today would shut him down.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone