There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

18 game season?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Overkill:
They won't add roster spots AND increase player salaries. That would defeat the purpose.

Why would the NFLPA agree to it without increase in salary? And extra roster spots is needed now anyway, too many injuries, and not enough active guys. Like said I am personally against a 18 game season, it isn't just a game, but 2 extra games, and you can't expect players to now play more and get paid same as a 16 game season.

?

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not saying they're going to ask the players to play 18 games and get paid for 16.

The players will get more money over the course of a season, but the increase won't be proportional on a per game basis. Instead of 17 checks for $X, they'll get 19 slightly smaller checks. The total of the 19 checks would be more than the total of the 17.

Each additional player on the roster gets paid for the full season but you're only adding 2 games of revenue. The margins you make adding those two games have to more than cover the cost of carrying the additional players for a full season, or it doesn't make sense to expand the season from the owner's point of view. The sole motivation here is money, after all.
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
I was just reading an artical on NFL about 18 game season and so many peaple are against it. In my opinion i was thinking we should drop 2 preseson game and get rid of the bye week add that one game to regular season. That would give a trade off to the players who are against it.Dont know about everyone else but last cuple years I have felt preseason was 2 games to long and that teams tend to lose after a bye week and go on skids whats your guys thoughts on it?

heres the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac7a98/article/packers-mark-murphy-doesnt-support-18game-season-

lol are you serious? Players dont even try in the preseason, and the last couple preseason games are mostly backups playing. dropping those 2 games wouldnt equate to more rest for the regulars. And im pretty sure taking away the bye week would be a breach of contract on the CBA. You cant force NFL teams to go a whole season without a bye week.

The 18 game season even with TWO bye weeks is an endangerment of player safety, let alone one with ZERO bye weeks.

If the NFL ever moves to 18 games, they will be the biggest hypocrites ever. Theyve been preaching player safety and concussion prevention for years now, and adding 2 games would increase risk, all in the name of making more money.
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Overkill:
They won't add roster spots AND increase player salaries. That would defeat the purpose.

not really. if you think about all the extra money they would make on regular season vs pre season ticket sales.
parking passes concessions ect.... its not far off.
pre season games probably bring in 1/5 of the people a regular season game would bring. and thats probably being conservative.

the only profit they would get is from TV and concessions, Sold out stadiums like the 9ers already have the preseason paid for

pre season games dont sell out.
Season tickets sell out thats maybe 15k but the regular single game tickets for pre seasons DON'T SELL.
Most are given away. and parking passes ect...

and yea i was thinking it was 2 more home games but it would be 1 and overkill is right cant put in 2 marbles and take out 3 but it sound's good lol

Season ticket holders have to pay for two preseason games..and if the stadium is already sold out for the season. then there are no tickets available for sale by the team.

just cause people don;t show up doesn't mean it wasn't sold out

I know im a season ticket holder and have been for long enough to buy seasons worth of pre season games.
pre season games dont sell out. they may give the tickets to corporations and donate them to charity classifying as a "sell out"
but they dont make money off of them. they dont sell the parking passes and they dont make money off the concessions.
they dont take a financial hit. (or pre season would have been canned a long time ago) but they dont make anywhere near the money as they do on a regular season game.

i get at what you are saying about $$ between Reg and Pre..

but i don't get what you are saying about Preseason games are not sold out? (are you talking about small market teams ?)
I'm down with Garcia on this. Shorten PS to two games, and play 16. Instead of the 3rd and 4th PS game,, allow for 2 more weeks of TC. As for lengthening the season by 2 games, God I hope they don't do that. These guys literally get beaten up for 16 games. Adding another two, when fatigue sets in, just increases chance of severe injury...and for what? Another two games? B.S. Even now guys playing in SB are already playing 18 games. And you want to add two games to that? Unhhh,unhh. Kept it as is, if you want a change, cut out two PS games and lengthen TC for two weeks. But no more games.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Those who want an 18-game season are selfish. You want more football; you want more sports entertainment.

The purpose of preseason football is for the coaches to evaluate and determine their best 45/53-man roster (active/total). If you take away 2 preseason games then the coaches will have less opportunity to evaluate and that will adversely impact football games... perhaps including 49er games.

Like so many have already said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave well enough alone.

I have to pay full regular season full ticket price odor preseason games that dont count and don't have real players in them... Either make those games count or don't charge me for them.
Your response is so typical... you only care about yourself. Me, me, me, me, me. Never mind what's good for the game or the players or the team. You and people like you are what's wrong with our country.

Guess what? You don't HAVE TO pay for any games. If you think preseason games are too expensive then DON'T ATTEND THEM! DUH! They are intended to entertain, but if you think the price of the entertainment is too high, then sit at home and watch it on TV, or do something else instead. Paying for games doesn't give you any right to determine how many regular season and preseason games there will be, any more than paying to see a movie gives you the right to determine who stars in it and where it is filmed.

If you think paying full price for games that don't count in the regular season and "don't have real players in them" is foolish, then doing so makes you a fool; and if you don't pay for them, then why are you complaining in the first place?

Try thinking about what's best for the team for a change.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
f**k that.

You're going to see some boring football with B team players by the time playoffs come around. The starters are going to get brutalized year after year, esp those who make the playoffs.

This,f**k that

Not at all, they would replace 2 pre-season games meaning the player would already be in football shape and having full practices and they would also get 2 bye weeks.

Pre-season games are a non issue imo. The people who get significant playing time are bench warners and guys who will probably be cut.

The extra bye week would help but playoff teams that go deep will be playing 19 or so games. That is tough todo, especially for the veterans. These guys can't get out of bed on mondays after a game.
Speaking only from a fan perspective, 18 games only makes sense if your team never makes the playoffs. After last year, 16 games of the regular season felt long enough to me.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Those who want an 18-game season are selfish. You want more football; you want more sports entertainment.

The purpose of preseason football is for the coaches to evaluate and determine their best 45/53-man roster (active/total). If you take away 2 preseason games then the coaches will have less opportunity to evaluate and that will adversely impact football games... perhaps including 49er games.

Like so many have already said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave well enough alone.
Agreed, the preseason is not for fan entertainment. I think 4 games is the right amount to evaluate players, cut that short and a lot of deserving guys won't make rosters.
I don't like it, I think wether we enjoy the games or not preseason is important to player development.

Secondly, I think for an 18 game season there would have to be 2 bye weeks, and enlarged rosters and practice squads.

As many other have said in this thread, if it aint broke...don't fix it!
with all the talks about player safety, and long term damage, an 18 game season will not happen.
No, this isn't tennis. A body cannot take that kind of damage and be competitive in the end.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

I have to pay full regular season full ticket price odor preseason games that dont count and don't have real players in them... Either make those games count or don't charge me for them.
Your response is so typical... you only care about yourself. Me, me, me, me, me. Never mind what's good for the game or the players or the team. You and people like you are what's wrong with our country.

Guess what? You don't HAVE TO pay for any games. If you think preseason games are too expensive then DON'T ATTEND THEM! DUH! They are intended to entertain, but if you think the price of the entertainment is too high, then sit at home and watch it on TV, or do something else instead. Paying for games doesn't give you any right to determine how many regular season and preseason games there will be, any more than paying to see a movie gives you the right to determine who stars in it and where it is filmed.

If you think paying full price for games that don't count in the regular season and "don't have real players in them" is foolish, then doing so makes you a fool; and if you don't pay for them, then why are you complaining in the first place?

Try thinking about what's best for the team for a change.

His response is valid, whether or not you agree. Your reaction is not. Personal attack and inflammatory posting is not encouraged here.

Stick to the point and don't personalise.