There are 157 users in the forums

18 game season?

Shop 49ers game tickets
They won't add roster spots AND increase player salaries. That would defeat the purpose.
yea bye weeks might suck. FOR US
but if you make these guys play 18 regular season games (different than pre season games by far) with NO time off between
BODIES WILL BREAK! these guys are big strong and in great shape but they do need time off. i say if they go 18 games give them 2 bye weeks.
move the trade deadline after week 10 and allow 60 on a active roster.
Originally posted by 99problems:
yea bye weeks might suck. FOR US
but if you make these guys play 18 regular season games (different than pre season games by far) with NO time off between
BODIES WILL BREAK! these guys are big strong and in great shape but they do need time off. i say if they go 18 games give them 2 bye weeks.
move the trade deadline after week 10 and allow 60 on a active roster.

Bye weeks are a bit sad for fans, but for fans like me, I can accept a couple bye weeks, no problem. It isn't as if there are no other games to enjoy, or other games that don't have meaning or relation to what the Niners are trying to accomplish. I love the game so much that I'll watch most ANY game.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if it aint broke......
Originally posted by Overkill:
They won't add roster spots AND increase player salaries. That would defeat the purpose.

not really. if you think about all the extra money they would make on regular season vs pre season ticket sales.
parking passes concessions ect.... its not far off.
pre season games probably bring in 1/5 of the people a regular season game would bring. and thats probably being conservative.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
16 Game season is brutal enough for the players.

Shorten the preason 1-2 games. Keep 16
not really. if you think about all the extra money they would make on regular season vs pre season ticket sales.
pre season games probably bring in 1/5 of the people a regular season game would bring. and thats probably being conservative.

Only one of those is a home game. The real driver is TV revenue and its not going to be as simple as expanding the TV deal by 2/16th's. Even if it was, you can't both increase existing player salaries by 2/16ths and add new players for the full season while maintaining profit margins. It just doesn't work mathematically. You're trying to put two marbles in a can and take 3 out.

You're probably right in that they could both increase salaries (on a gross, per season basis) and add roster spots, but the net effect is going to be less per game check.

the only profit they would get is from TV and concessions, Sold out stadiums like the 9ers already have the preseason paid for
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

the only profit they would get is from TV and concessions, Sold out stadiums like the 9ers already have the preseason paid for

pre season games dont sell out.
Season tickets sell out thats maybe 15k but the regular single game tickets for pre seasons DON'T SELL.
Most are given away. and parking passes ect...

and yea i was thinking it was 2 more home games but it would be 1 and overkill is right cant put in 2 marbles and take out 3 but it sound's good lol

Season tickets sell out thats maybe 15k but the regular single game tickets for pre seasons DON'T SELL.

and yea i was thinking it was 2 more home games but it would be 1 and overkill is right cant put in 2 marbles and take out 3 but it sound's good lol

Season ticket holders have to pay for two preseason games..and if the stadium is already sold out for the season. then there are no tickets available for sale by the team.

just cause people don;t show up doesn't mean it wasn't sold out

No preseason.

162 game season.

Roster size increased to 5,000
Originally posted by English:
No preseason.

162 game season.

Roster size increased to 5,000

This..hockey player don't get credit as they nearly play football everyday
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
if it aint broke......

$ talks........

Season ticket holders have to pay for two preseason games..and if the stadium is already sold out for the season. then there are no tickets available for sale by the team.

just cause people don;t show up doesn't mean it wasn't sold out

I know im a season ticket holder and have been for long enough to buy seasons worth of pre season games.
pre season games dont sell out. they may give the tickets to corporations and donate them to charity classifying as a "sell out"
but they dont make money off of them. they dont sell the parking passes and they dont make money off the concessions.
they dont take a financial hit. (or pre season would have been canned a long time ago) but they dont make anywhere near the money as they do on a regular season game.

Why would the NFLPA agree to it without increase in salary? And extra roster spots is needed now anyway, too many injuries, and not enough active guys. Like said I am personally against a 18 game season, it isn't just a game, but 2 extra games, and you can't expect players to now play more and get paid same as a 16 game season.
Share 49ersWebzone