LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

18 game season?

Shop 49ers game tickets
We already had an 18-game season, I want a 19-game season.
I am in favor of a 18 game season. This time of year is so boring with out football. I think it all comes down to money as well as the players health concerns. Personally I think that if they increase the number of players each team can carry on the team it would be fine. Plus the players get fatter pay checks which makes them happy. They already made the game safer to prevent injuries. While injuries will always be a part of football. It was a lot different back in the 80's and 90's. I have even heard of retired players griping that they are making the game too soft. So at the end of the day the fans will be happy to watch more quality football games. Players get bigger checks as well the owners. Everyone wins.
Just cut preseason to 2 games, and keep 16 reg season games. 18 is too much. Would mess up salary wise also, pay checks are paid by week, so 1/17th each week is his salary. If they play more games, the players will and should get more money. They don't get paid in preseason, game checks don't start until week 1 of reg season. This is clearly the NFL wanting more money, and if they go to 18 games, they need 2 bye weeks, players need rest. If I was NFLPA, I would NOT agree to this. It would be 20 weeks(2 bye weeks) and more pay, if not, no deal.

I am on both sides on certain things. Cap should go up instead of staying the same, this isn't the NBA where the cap is same for 5 seasons. NFL makes enough money to divy up to players and teams. I think De Smith is a huge D-Bag. Everything the players do is RIGHT and the NFL is always WRONG. I just can't stand De Smith, screams slime ball.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
f**k that.

You're going to see some boring football with B team players by the time playoffs come around. The starters are going to get brutalized year after year, esp those who make the playoffs.

This,f**k that

Not at all, they would replace 2 pre-season games meaning the player would already be in football shape and having full practices and they would also get 2 bye weeks.
I'd rather expand the playoffs than have an 18-game season.
It's all about the money. Players can be easily replaced. I'm sure if the players are compensated they'll get on the bandwagon.
sure, more football that counts, and 2 less preseason that don't. That part i like. Problem is with a team as stacked as the 9ers, we, for the first time in 12, maybe 13 yrs, are over endowed with talent, and some is better than others. 2 Preseason games is just not enough time to sift thru all the talent assembled here. This isn't your Big Mike, or l'll Mikey talent show, this is the big time, big players, and lots at certain slots. We gotta know who is a little bit better , or perhaps a lot better than the next guy. That, believe it or not, is what PS is really for. We all get p.o.ed over meaningless games, we don't get to see the starters, and worse, we have to buy tix to see subpar football. But for the first time, this 49er team REALLY DOES need the time to choose the 1 best or 2 best, maybe 3 best players , all at one slot. When we stunk the place up, hell yeah, play 18 games and 2 PS. But now, Coach really needs time to decide between player A or B, maybe both. If only 2 PS games, he won't have enough info to make the most correct choice....and we could let go a real talent that had we had 4 PS games, Coach would have had a better chance to get a read on the guy. Sorry, guys, much as i hate PS games, for a change, we HAVE to have them...all 4 of them.
Wouldn't 2 more weeks put the SB on Presidents Day weekend? If so, that = $$$$$$$$ for the NFL which would mean more of a glut of people who would be more willing to go to the Super Bowl that normally couldn't get the following day off but with Monday off for Prez Day for any traveling that would be needed, you can only imagine the amount of folk who'd do it with that extra day. This will go through because they know and we know that money is the most important thing to the NFL and as long as there is still some money for them to get, they will soon be adding 2 more games.
One more thing, if they do a 18 game schedule, they need to completely overhaul the roster system. instead of a 53 man, make it 56 man roster, up the game day actives to 48 or 49. IR and PUP should be like this, IR is out for season, but can come back if healthy in time for playoffs, PUP is 6 weeks, then see how it is by then. And compensate the players better, the tightwad owners want the money in the pockets of themselves.

Like I said I would not vote for it, this is something that is bargained between the NFL Owners and NFLPA, the NFL can't change it without NFLPA approval, different then some rule changes. Players are already putting there lives on the line, no reason to add more to that. More potential injuries is a big likely if 18 game sched.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Those who want an 18-game season are selfish. You want more football; you want more sports entertainment.

The purpose of preseason football is for the coaches to evaluate and determine their best 45/53-man roster (active/total). If you take away 2 preseason games then the coaches will have less opportunity to evaluate and that will adversely impact football games... perhaps including 49er games.

Like so many have already said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave well enough alone.

I have to pay full regular season full ticket price odor preseason games that dont count and don't have real players in them... Either make those games count or don't charge me for them.

Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Those who want an 18-game season are selfish. You want more football; you want more sports entertainment.

The purpose of preseason football is for the coaches to evaluate and determine their best 45/53-man roster (active/total). If you take away 2 preseason games then the coaches will have less opportunity to evaluate and that will adversely impact football games... perhaps including 49er games.

Like so many have already said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave well enough alone.

I have to pay full regular season full ticket price odor preseason games that dont count and don't have real players in them... Either make those games count or don't charge me for them.

What will happen is you will get charged more for that extra home game then the preseason game. Imagine the field day if the NFL Sunday Ticket goes up. Because of extra games they raise prices. Keep it as it is. People spend enough money on the NFL's packages, merchandise, season tickets, etc... Just keep what is working the same. All money hungry is what the NFL is.
If they add two games to the schedule then knock off a couple of the preseason games. The four game preseason is one of the most outdated concepts in the NFL. These guys are close to game shape year round in this era.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
sure, more football that counts, and 2 less preseason that don't. That part i like. Problem is with a team as stacked as the 9ers, we, for the first time in 12, maybe 13 yrs, are over endowed with talent, and some is better than others. 2 Preseason games is just not enough time to sift thru all the talent assembled here. This isn't your Big Mike, or l'll Mikey talent show, this is the big time, big players, and lots at certain slots. We gotta know who is a little bit better , or perhaps a lot better than the next guy. That, believe it or not, is what PS is really for. We all get p.o.ed over meaningless games, we don't get to see the starters, and worse, we have to buy tix to see subpar football. But for the first time, this 49er team REALLY DOES need the time to choose the 1 best or 2 best, maybe 3 best players , all at one slot. When we stunk the place up, hell yeah, play 18 games and 2 PS. But now, Coach really needs time to decide between player A or B, maybe both. If only 2 PS games, he won't have enough info to make the most correct choice....and we could let go a real talent that had we had 4 PS games, Coach would have had a better chance to get a read on the guy. Sorry, guys, much as i hate PS games, for a change, we HAVE to have them...all 4 of them.

Everyone's valid concerns about "time for evaluation of players / injuries and fatigue" can be resolved quite well by adding more roster spots... so that coaches don't have to make such ridiculously hard cuts. They will learn to use a larger rotation of players when need be. I wouldn't at all call it "boring football" (to Y2R) if we see a mix of starters and depth players out there playing at times. The good coaches will know when and who to rotate in and out.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Everyone's valid concerns about "time for evaluation of players / injuries and fatigue" can be resolved quite well by adding more roster spots... so that coaches don't have to make such ridiculously hard cuts. They will learn to use a larger rotation of players when need be. I wouldn't at all call it "boring football" (to Y2R) if we see a mix of starters and depth players out there playing at times. The good coaches will know when and who to rotate in and out.

Adding roster spots wont fix it. You know that everybody wants to win.... that means that the best players will play unless they are injured. If you are trying to win a game, you aren't going to take out guys like VD, Willis, and J. Smith in favor of rotating in some guys that wouldn't even make the active roster otherwise.

Teams are usually pretty banged up going into the playoffs as it is. The only way I see it working to add regular season games is to also add bye weeks. Perhaps a 17 or 18 game season would work with 2 bye weeks.

But honestly, I like it the way it is.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Adding roster spots wont fix it. You know that everybody wants to win.... that means that the best players will play unless they are injured. If you are trying to win a game, you aren't going to take out guys like VD, Willis, and J. Smith in favor of rotating in some guys that wouldn't even make the active roster otherwise.

Teams are usually pretty banged up going into the playoffs as it is. The only way I see it working to add regular season games is to also add bye weeks. Perhaps a 17 or 18 game season would work with 2 bye weeks.

But honestly, I like it the way it is.

You definitely make a good point here... and I would like the idea of an extra bye week. The only thing I can say right now to even try and counter the underlined is.. It would force teams to provide more of what they do now... making sure you possess the best depth possible. Knowing the right times to rest your best.. and putting forth a bit more faith in your backups to adequately fill in and hold off a team from gaining back advantage later in the games. Could really add more challenge to the constant chess match that is football.

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone