LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

18 game season?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was just reading an artical on NFL about 18 game season and so many peaple are against it. In my opinion i was thinking we should drop 2 preseson game and get rid of the bye week add that one game to regular season. That would give a trade off to the players who are against it.Dont know about everyone else but last cuple years I have felt preseason was 2 games to long and that teams tend to lose after a bye week and go on skids whats your guys thoughts on it?

heres the link http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac7a98/article/packers-mark-murphy-doesnt-support-18game-season-
Admittedly, I have not considered every pro and con to this. That said, I like the idea of more games that count. I can never get enough of the football season, so any extension to that? Me says...

when 49ers bye week comes up im so depressed.
Going to 18 games is all about the money.

16 games is enough for me. I start out watching every game I can. By week 8, I pretty much only watch 9er games and highlight shows. By week 14, I only watch the 9ers and pay attention to the playoff picture. I love watching the 9ers but I don't really need the extra two games. That's two more games to get injuries and I'd rather see healthy playoffs.
16 is good enough.... if it isn't broken don't fix.
Players are going to want more money if that's the case. No doubt, about it...

I'm more concerned with the Pro Bowl Game being changed. They needs to have a skills competition.
I like, not crazy about, going to 18 games and 2 less preseason games.

Like eveything in life there are many pluses and minuses. I haven't spent much time on either. But it happens it may also require increasing the size of the squads which I'm totally in favor of.
We had 18 last year. I want 19
pros:
more $
longer season=more sexy offensive stats (passing yards, tds etc)
more broken records

cons:
injuries
fatigue

as to the fatigue situation, you could always start rotating players more. increase the roster size and have a rotation, shoot you could do a 30-game season.
It'll happen when the TV dollars are right.

f**k that.

You're going to see some boring football with B team players by the time playoffs come around. The starters are going to get brutalized year after year, esp those who make the playoffs.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
We had 18 last year. I want 19

• Chief
  • Veteran
There are a lot of cons to the idea... but there is one really REALLY big pro, and that is more football.

All the records will be waxed, but then all the new records will surface. It would be a new day in football... and I think..

DO IT!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
f**k that.

You're going to see some boring football with B team players by the time playoffs come around. The starters are going to get brutalized year after year, esp those who make the playoffs.

This,f**k that
Those who want an 18-game season are selfish. You want more football; you want more sports entertainment.

The purpose of preseason football is for the coaches to evaluate and determine their best 45/53-man roster (active/total). If you take away 2 preseason games then the coaches will have less opportunity to evaluate and that will adversely impact football games... perhaps including 49er games.

Like so many have already said... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave well enough alone.
Share 49ersWebzone