There are 199 users in the forums

The evolution of rules in the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Evolution of Rules Rule changes in the NFL have been made throughout the history of the league to improve the game, make it more exciting and reduce the risk of injury. Safety rules are one of the most important and effective ways in which the NFL and its owners can help protect the health of players. By helping to identify, promote and enforce safe on-field conduct (in concert with off-the-field education and policies), the league seeks to preserve both the health of players and the integrity of the game.

The NFL has established a strong set of rules through the years focused on player safety, designed to promote fair competition while attempting to minimize risk of harm to the player. While many of these rules have focused on reducing contact to the head and neck of players, other changes have protected players from orthopedic and other injuries.

The development of a thoughtful and comprehensive set of appropriately protective rules and policies has always been, and continues to be, an evolving process. The NFL continually evaluates how rules can best be integrated into the game to address safety and health issues.

Each year the NFL Competition Committee conducts a complete review of player injuries and discusses means by which the NFL can reduce them through the implementation of new rules, or by clarifying or strengthening enforcement of existing rules.

Rules the league has established or changed for the protection of players have not only had a positive impact in the NFL, but have subsequently been incorporated at other levels of play, including collegiate, high school and youth programs. Through the NFL's ongoing partnerships and educational initiatives, the awareness of the importance of rules related to on-field conduct and return-to-play, at all levels and ages, is broadened.

To view an interactive timeline of evolution of rules of the sport, visit NFL.com/Evolution. The following provides a brief overview of NFL rule changes focused on protecting player health and safety since 1920.

For the years and rules click on the link! http://nflhealthandsafety.com/commitment/evolution/
"As the years went on and the players demanded more money, the stakes became even higher. Players being paid millions of dollars were now considered investments and the rules were changed significantly to protect those investments, practicularly the highly paid Quartberbacks, But as WRs and DBs catch up to those salaries, they also needed more protection, thus even more rules were created to avopid collisions between WRs and DBs. Also, a lawsuit was filed against the NFL for hiding the risks of concussions on players in order to keep them i the game and fans in theseats. Thus, the concussion rule was put in effect."

Player safety my ass. Its protecting the multi million dollar investment. The rules didn't budge much until 1992 when the league was in a losing battle with the NFLPA. THat was when free agency was born and players were demanding higher salary etc. Salaries skyrocketed and thats when the rules started to change. Check out how many rules hwere added after 1992.
Even the stopages in the 80's led to more saftey rules. The league acts when the players make moves.

The players safety is the least of most of the owner's worries.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
"As the years went on and the players demanded more money, the stakes became even higher. Players being paid millions of dollars were now considered investments and the rules were changed significantly to protect those investments, practicularly the highly paid Quartberbacks, But as WRs and DBs catch up to those salaries, they also needed more protection, thus even more rules were created to avopid collisions between WRs and DBs. Also, a lawsuit was filed against the NFL for hiding the risks of concussions on players in order to keep them i the game and fans in theseats. Thus, the concussion rule was put in effect."

Player safety my ass. Its protecting the multi million dollar investment. The rules didn't budge much until 1992 when the league was in a losing battle with the NFLPA. THat was when free agency was born and players were demanding higher salary etc. Salaries skyrocketed and thats when the rules started to change. Check out how many rules hwere added after 1992.
Even the stopages in the 80's led to more saftey rules. The league acts when the players make moves.

Very true Y2R. The way they spin it is pathetic. I'm looking forward to the results of the helmet(Riddell?) lawsuit.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Very true Y2R. The way they spin it is pathetic. I'm looking forward to the results of the helmet(Riddell?) lawsuit.

Agree with both of you guys. But, I think the owners did find out that after these rules starting going into place, the games became higher scoring with more passing yards.....and this got the game and the league even more popular. So whatever the original intent was, it turned out to be a win win...which is why the league uses the player safety spin so much these days.

The only losers is a minority of the fan base like me, who does not like the inflated stats and scores
Share 49ersWebzone