There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New York Giants owner John Mara envisions end to kickoffs

• Chief
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82850481/article/new-york-giants-owner-john-mara-envisions-end-to-kickoffs?module=HP11_headline_stack
Too bad he doesnt envision ending punt returns
  • Amir
  • Veteran
might as well end tackling and make it flag football.
I applaud the Competition Committee for always trying to make things safer, but there are lines that I don't think the NFL should cross. Eliminating plays or entire stages of the game is NOT where the league needs to go. I think they need to identify types of maneuvers that are unsafe, like they did with the horse-collar or chop block.

A football game without the kickoff is just... it's too much. Sometimes the difference in teams is only decided by what happens on kickoffs (and punt returns). A few years ago, it was the reason the Bears played in the Super Bowl, and it was a major advantage for the Bears when they were IN the Super Bowl. Devin Hester took the opening kickoff back, causing Rex Grossman to remark that they'll have good field position the rest of the game because they won't punt the ball to Devin Hester AT ALL anymore. In terms of overall football strategy, the kickoff is a huge part of the game.
Originally posted by Amir:

We are going there slowly but surely. If people can't see the changes that have been happening the last 10 - 15 years they are blind. This isn't fully physical football anymore. Ronnie Lott would get kicked out of the league in this era. I think he would be banned. I don't think he could even play. Little kids now a days don't even know what real football is. This isn't it. What we have been watching the last several years. It gets more sissyfied every single year. It's not going in the right direction. That's for sure.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Too bad he doesnt envision ending punt returns

^
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I applaud the Competition Committee for always trying to make things safer, but there are lines that I don't think the NFL should cross. Eliminating plays or entire stages of the game is NOT where the league needs to go. I think they need to identify types of maneuvers that are unsafe, like they did with the horse-collar or chop block.

A football game without the kickoff is just... it's too much. Sometimes the difference in teams is only decided by what happens on kickoffs (and punt returns). A few years ago, it was the reason the Bears played in the Super Bowl, and it was a major advantage for the Bears when they were IN the Super Bowl. Devin Hester took the opening kickoff back, causing Rex Grossman to remark that they'll have good field position the rest of the game because they won't punt the ball to Devin Hester AT ALL anymore. In terms of overall football strategy, the kickoff is a huge part of the game.

So true they are gradually making this game so that the QB is the only part of the game. They have virtually made it impossible for a CB to cover a guy, you can hardly touch the Quarterback anymore and they are making it harder and harder to have weapons on special teams. To win the Super Bowl you should have to be Very good or great at all three phases of the game it seems that the NFL only wants teams to have great offences and hand cuff everything else.
I envision an end to KW's Niners career...best of luck to him elsewhere
Originally posted by Amir:

They could just start televising games where the players play as themselves on Madden! The only real risk of injury there would be carpal tunnel syndrome.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Agree. Really hope they don't take it out.
I like that the NFL wants a safer league but it needs to be understood that this isn't professional pool or poker, it's football. Football is a dangerous game and all the players know what they are signing up for and they are paid very handsomely for it. Football is as big as it ever has been and if they were to take certain aspects of the game away like that, I mean taking essentially special teams out of the equation which is no less important than offense or defense then you are playing a dangerous game with your fanbase. Especially your "traditional" fans. What about those players that make a living in the NFL on special teams, what about their careers? What about those edge of the seat onside kick moments at the end of the close games or even the surprise onside kicks. I would be very upset with the NFL if they too it a little too far this time.
The lawsuits are mounting. We are coming close to a new era in pro-football. Arena Football is the future. Much less chance for injury, wild scoring, the fans right in the action. Pass, Pass, Pass, forget about defensive schemes, no back sets (sounds like the present NFL). Most importantly the albatross of the Roman Coliseum stadiums with their billion dollar price tags would be a thing of history. You could have 25 game seasons filling 20,000 seat arenas. The next generation would think it's the greatest sport ever. Nothing lasts forever.
This would also totally take away the on-sides kick. A team down by 9 in the final few minutes, which scores a TD to cut to 2, would basically have no chance to pull the game out. How many times have the 49ers done a surprise on-sides kick and recovered to keep possession in the past few years. How about those bounty hunters in the Super Bowl right after halftime?
Can't take risks in America anymore, gotta protect everyone. Can't risk anyone getting hurt in any way. So in a few years, this soft ass league will give everyone a trophy at the end of the season and declare them all winners! Shoot, can't risk hurting anyone's feelings either.
The biggest threat to the NFL, football as we know it, is lawsuits.

IF a lawsuit is successful in establishing that the NFL is liable for injury caused its players because it has faciliated a violent game and not done enough to protect the participants, the game as we know it is OVER. Because once the precedent is set that you are facilitating a dangerous activity and responsible and required to take all measures to protect participants, it is nearly impossible to take all necessary measures to protect the players without so altering the original situation as to render it unrecognizable.

I know most people would argue that the players are participating of their own free will. Similar to bungee jumping right? You sign a waiver acknowledging the risks, the operator takes all reasonable precautions for safety for an activity the participant acknowledges is dangerous, and you jump. If something goes wrong, the operator is only liable (and their insurance liable) IF the operator is shown to have done something negligent.

BUT, it is inherently different than bungee jumping in one key facet, the operator in the NFL's case is PAYING the players to participate in the inherently dangerous activity. And paying them an amount of money that could be shown to sway even a reasonable person not wishing to risk injury to take a chance they would otherwise have avoided. Moreover, a good lawyer would show that the payment to the players in many cases took advantage of people economically less fortunate, and with few other options to ever earn this type of money, to encourage them to take this risk (of course, at the NFLs pay scale, this would apply to almost everyone ).

This is what the NFL knows and is scared to death of.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home