Shop 49ers game tickets
what the hell It should Be
Tom Brady
Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees
Eli Manning is not better than Those three
Originally posted by okdkid:
Matt Ryan in the top 10? Yeah, sure...

Alex Smith out of the top 15? C'mon. He is undoubtedly better than most starting QBs. Wins, efficiency, rating. You know, those old things.

The high regards that people have for Matt Ryan baffle me. What did the guy do but racking up stats in meaningless games, then disappear in big games?
He "insulted" Matt Ryan by calling him the next Barry Bonds. This guy is retarded
[ Edited by DirtyP on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Smith is average at best, that puts him 15th. The only stats that he is above average at compared to the rest is QB rating and completion percentage, and that comes from making mostly short low risk throws. The QB rating is heavily weighted on TD to INT ratio and his is low because he doesn't make risky throws. Great for stats, but not good converting 3rd and long. Alex was an average QB last year which was a big improvement, but he is nothing more.

I disagree. I don't think Alex has hit his ceiling yet. He is only 27 years old, has only had a half of an off-season with Harbaugh and his coaches....and....he played his best football at the end of the year. Also, his offensive coordinator didn't give him many opportunities in the red zone to throw into the end zone last season. I would imagine that will change this season and that you will see Alex throw quite a few more TDs this year....and especially now that Vernon Davis is more comfortable with the offense.

Also, if you include the playoffs in his stats (and you should because with the added attempts, it gives one a clearer idea of how he compares to other QBs), Alex had 22 TDs, 5 picks, and an above 90 QB rating. That is not "average"!!
It may not be elite, but it is certainly not average.

Finally, did you not see the way Alex played against the Saints in the playoffs? How many QBs in the league could have pulled off two very long TD drives in the last couple of minutes and throw a game winning TD with less than 20 seconds remaining? You may not like Alex as a long term QB for the Niners but he deserves respect for what he accomplished this past season.

At this point, I see Alex as a top 13 -17 QB with a chance of reaching the top 8 -12 or so with a season which builds on this past one. He has a fair amount of talent or he wouldn't have been a first round draft pick. He may not be Rodgers or Brady but I can see him being a Len Dawson, Bob Griese, or even Bart Starr type of player (all 3 "game-managers" and all 3 SB champions).

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by rafachivas12:
what the hell It should Be
Tom Brady
Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees
Eli Manning is not better than Those three

You....are correct, sir...
Alex sucks, everyone knows it except for the Webzone. He's our guy though so I hope he steps it up and doesn't let David Akers be the lead scorer on the team again
[ Edited by hateroids84 on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
My list...

Its just overall ranking of current skill, ability, winning and efficiency... does not include potential. The only reason why alex is so high is because he is one of the most efficient QB's in the NFL and currently, he's a winner. If you asked me to do this last year alex would have been around 18-24... you can probably attribute efficiency to Harbaugh more than smith but I think its an important aspect of the QB position.

1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Drew Brees
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Matthew Stafford
  5. E. Manning
  6. P. Manning
  7. Ben Roethlesberger
  8. Philip Rivers
  9. Matt Ryan
  10. Tony Romo
  11. Matt Schaub
  12. Jay Cutler
  13. Alex Smith
  14. Michael Vick
  15. Cam Newton
  16. Mark Sanchez
  17. Joe Flacco
  18. Andy Dalton
  19. Ryan Fitzpatrick
  20. Matt Moore
  21. Josh Freeman
  22. Matt Cassel
  23. Sam Bradford
  24. Colt McCoy
  25. Carson Palmer
  26. Tim Tebow
  27. Kevin Kolb
  28. Matt Hasselbeck
  29. Tarvaris Jackson
  30. Christian Ponder
  31. Rex Grossman
  32. John Skelton
  33. Curtis Painter
  34. John Beck
  35. Blaine Gabbert
list is hot garbage, im suprised they didnt have tebow at like #5.
Originally posted by hateroids84:
Alex sucks, everyone knows it except for the Webzone. He's our guy though so I hope he steps it up and doesn't let David Akers be the lead scorer on the team again

Alex will look like a beast this year...

Run first offense (cuts down on T.o's)
Actual WR's so our Te's and RB's will have space.
No more chilo, and possibly replace goodwin if he gets beat in camp.
If you think about it, the lack of respect for Alex around the league is probably that inner jealousy of the 49ers.

Simple question:

If every single team had to lose their starting QB and you had to judge teams' talent based on the remaining 52 man roster, WHERE DOES EVERYONE STACK UP??

And no doubt, SF is #1. Best defense, best special teams, good OL, very good RBs, good WRs, and great TEs. Absolutely no holes.

Patriots, Saints, Packers, Giants, all have holes. Ravens & Texans would be the closet competition, maybe Chicago.

By admitting that the 49ers are a top 5 team with a "25th" QB is essentially calling them the best team. No one will deny that they almost made the SB, but if you ask them can a team make it with a 25th rated QB, no one would say they can.

Haters. F*** em.

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
list is hot garbage, im suprised they didnt have tebow at like #5.
ThisxTebow
kevin kolb not even rated

what a joke
Damn he is at least top 15. Rodgers number 5 wtf. The reason they put Rodgers at 5 is so stupid like he didn't just win a super bowl last year. Eli while very good is not the best quarterback in the league. What the hell is it with Matt Ryan he wins no playoff games and barely does anything with so much talent on offense.
haha

Although the ranking is low at 25,

I mean, he's not any higher then 15 at the best.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to some. He put up mediocre numbers on a fantastic team.
He states this is a list of where they stand right now.

Freeman, Palmer, Bradford were horrible this past year. Bradford had a decent first year that wasn't all that different than Alex's second year and then tanked last year.

Horrible, horrible list. Jake f**king Locker higher than Alex Smith. Ryan Fitzpatrick higher than Alex Smith. Give me a f**king break.
Share 49ersWebzone