LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Offseason Training schedule - Can someone explain?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Can anyone explain the new CBA OTA schedule? I'm wondering when the 49ers are allowed and might have their first OTA, start their strength training, have mini-camp, etc. The new CBA talks about 9 weeks total, phase one, two, and three periods, etc. I can't make sense of it. From the CBA - see below:

Offseason Workouts
•Limited to 9 weeks
•Three Phases
–Phase One
•Two weeks; limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field

–Phase Two
•Three weeks; individual and "perfect play" drills allowed (no offense vs. defense); all coaches allowed on the field

–Phase Three
• Four weeks; 10 OTA's; maximum of three OTA's for the first 2 weeks; maximum of 4 OTA's for the 3rd or 4th week, with the other week being the minicamp

Minicamp
•Physicals on Monday but not practice; practices Tuesday –Thursday; day off on Friday
•Maximum of 3 ½hours on the field per day
–One practice per day up to 2 ½hours
–Second practice limited to walk through activities only

Preseason
•Mandatory veteran reporting date no earlier than 15 days prior to the first game
•1st day limited to physicals and meetings
•2nd and 3rd day no pads or contact
•Only one padded practice per day limited to 3 hours with the second practice up to the 4 hour limit being a walk through
Are you looking for a time table or what each part is about and what they would be doing in each phase?

Mid April - Teams may begin official off-season strength and conditioning programs, limited OTAs, etc.
Late July - Full training camps begin

Here was 2010's offseason but it will be different like you said:
http://www.patriotsdaily.com/2010/01/2010-nfl-key-offseason-dates/

There will be a lot less practices... a lot less days in pads... less practices per day but last year coaches/players said 1 3 hours practice is more beneficial than 2 or 3 practices per day at 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]
I think the first actual football practices happen right after the draft, IIRC.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
April/May Last week April / 1st week of May S&C (Phase I)
May Last 3 weeks Drills (Phase II)
June 4 weeks OTA's (Phase III)
July 4 weeks Mimi Camp
Aug 4 weeks Pre season

rough breakdown
wont' be any ota's in march anymore and i think that's a good thing
A jersey is a great way to support your favorite team!
so come here if you want to show your love for them!
Share 49ersWebzone