There are 187 users in the forums

dameco ryans traded to philly

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I seriously do not understand this. Guy was an OUTSTANDING player for them and they shipped him off for far, FAR less than he was worth. TERRIBLE move for the Texans, GREAT move for Philly.

look at his stats... all in the 120-150 tackle range and then with the 3-4 he was hurt last year (is that when they switched?) and had only 64 this year. He signed a 6 year 48 million dollar deal but is only making 5.9 mil this year. So basically Philly takes his large deal and texans with Phillips the way he has been balling with that D will be able to find a replacement pretty quick. I still would have thought more than a mid round pick but I'm assuming the huge deal hurt his value
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Eagles got a steal.

Young pro bowl MLB for a mid round pick.

4th rounder, don't get it
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Eagles got a steal.

Traditional MLBs as a rule of thumb just aren't highly valued in this pass-happy era.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Eagles got a steal.

Plus Ryans was a team captain for the Texans. They have now lost two veteran leaders this off season in Ryans and Williams.

Their other inside 'backer Cushing is a knucklehead.
Plus Ryans was a team captain for the Texans. They have now lost two veteran leaders this off season in Ryans and Williams.

Their other inside 'backer Cushing is a knucklehead.

The way Phillips has built that defense you have to figure it shouldn't take long to replace Ryans. Not saying they will be quite as good though. They already did a good job with Barwin and Reed so they didn't have to franchise Williams at 20 million or whatever it was.
Wow dude... just wow. They are hurting that bad on the books?

Ryans is a monster... they dumped Mario Williams and DeMeco? Revamping the LB core starts with Larry Grant I guess
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ryans is very overrated.
LOL DUMB

That Texans defense isn't going to be nearly as good now without Ryans or Williams.
f**king Texans got robbed.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Eagles acquired MLB DeMeco Ryans from the Texans in exchange for a 2012 fourth-round pick.

The teams will also exchange third-round picks, with the Eagles moving back 12 spots. A Pro Bowl middle linebacker early in his career, Ryans wasn't was as suited to the weak-side interior in Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme. After a slow start in returning from Achilles surgery, Ryans came on stronger late in the season. He fills a major need in Philadelphia, where Andy Reid's squad has long been in need of a three-down tackling machine in the middle. Jamar Chaney (neck surgery) will move back outside. Considering Ryans $5.9 million salary, the Texans' haul was as much as could reasonably be expected.
Source: John McClain on Twitter
Mar 20 - 7:11 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/230380/eagles-acquire-lb-demeco-ryans-for-draft-pick

Philly punked them.
Great move by Philly.

We should have put the higher tender on Grant. I'd hate to see him go to the Texans for a freaking 7th round pick.
lol larry grant is better than this guy. look at these stats from last year:

Demeco Ryans - 16 games started, 64 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 ff
Larry Grant - 3 games started, 39 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 ff
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Ryans obviously wasn't a fit in that 3-4. Let's say they sign Larry Grant...

Texans get: Grant(small contract with experience in a 3-4) and a 4th round pick
Texans lose: Ryans(big contract and poor schematic fit) and a 7th round pick

I would do that if I were the Texans' GM. You gain some cap flexibility, a 4th round pick, and you potentially improve your inside linebacker position by picking up a player who fits your scheme.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
lol larry grant is better than this guy. look at these stats from last year:

Demeco Ryans - 16 games started, 64 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 ff
Larry Grant - 3 games started, 39 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 ff

His stats were down due to being in the 3-4. Philly plays a 4-3... when Texans were in the 4-3 the guy had 110-150 tackles each year.
Share 49ersWebzone