There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

9ers let Adam Snyder go for 5 years 17.5 million???

I think Kilgore has a future, however Snyder made the line play well last year. If they could return the OL intact (like the defense) for a mere 5 year 17 million dollar contract, and have a back up center.guard/tackle, baffling why they did not bring Snyder back. They could have back loaded the contract to pay more in later years.

The actions of the front office this off season are different than one would expect. Building for a short term winner appears to be the flavor of the day. Although still think a short term winner would have Adam Snyder back.
Snyder didn't make the OL play well. He was our 5th best OL. He was just an upgrade over Chilo, which isn't saying much.

He is easily replaceable.

People getting wound up over losing Adam Snyder and Alex Smith should remember how wound up everyone got last year when we lost Takeo, Lawson, Franklin, Clements, and Baas. Easily replaceable.
49ers feel the have an adequate replacement or they can find someone better in draft.

If they thought highly of Snyder he would be back
That's a lot of $ for a career backup.
Snyder was a good "stop gap" O-line player. He's not great but serviceable. Kilgore may be the future of this team. I like his play.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think Kilgore has a future, however Snyder made the line play well last year. If they could return the OL intact (like the defense) for a mere 5 year 17 million dollar contract, and have a back up center.guard/tackle, baffling why they did not bring Snyder back. They could have back loaded the contract to pay more in later years.

The actions of the front office this off season are different than one would expect. Building for a short term winner appears to be the flavor of the day. Although still think a short term winner would have Adam Snyder back.

A 'mere' 5 year, 17.5 mil deal with a 5 mil signing bonus. 4.5 mil a year with his signing bonus spread out over the 5 years.

One problem with re-signing Snyder though. He sucks. He rated out as one of the leagues worst guards. 4.5 mil a year for Snyder? No thanks.

Just like Baas who had his best season only to flop in NY. I expect the same from Snyder.

We should be happy though. Our D-line is going to eat him alive twice a year!!
The sad thing is that Arizona's OL is in such terrible shape that a below-average guard like Snyder might actually improve it. There's also some talk he might play tackle... imagine an OL with Snyder and Levi Brown on the bookends.

I fully support the play to bring in an aging stopgap veteran to shore up the position (and further Anthony Davis's progression) for a year, then kick the tires on Kilgore.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Snyder was a good "stop gap" O-line player. He's not great but serviceable. Kilgore may be the future of this team. I like his play.

Kilgore has looked good evey time he's been in there.
Snyder's value was his ability to play all spots on the line and that Goodwin is at the back end of his career.

If you look at his individual play, he was ordinary but, playing next to him did seem to help out Davis a lot.

I would have liked to have him back for a reasonable cost. But, given the choice of locking up some of the primo guys, you can't pay him this much. Haralson is in the exact same category. Solid player that fits the scheme pretty well, but he has to come at a price.
Too much for a player who would likely be a back-up and I keep hearing it's a great draft for interior linemen. Time to move on.
obviously, the Niners didn't think very highly of Synder. I was very wrong on this one.
Originally posted by 9erred:

My thoughts... in our best interest Snyder wouldn't be back as a starter. Sure he can back up all the positions on the OL but if he has to start he can't do any of them well. 3.5 is way to much for a backup. Now if he could backup 1 spot really well compared to 5 really badly I would consider him. Besides, we have other guys who can step in and backup each spot better than him. Plus think about it if we offer Snyder 17.5 and tell him he will be able to complete but probably won't start why not go to Arizona who is throwing him a parade for pete's sake and is allowing him to start. I think we can bring in Geoff Schwartz or go with Kilgore or even draft a rookie high that would do a better job.