David Garrard anyone?

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Alex can get better
Hell Garrard didn't start till he was 29

One could also argue that if Harbaugh was able to turn Alex into an efficient QB, then he can do the same or better with a more talented QB...basically most of the starting QBs in the league that are mobile/athletic.

Outside looking in, there's a reason why Alex Smith gets props, but very little respect in terms of teams being afraid he can beat them.

do you really think that Garrard is more talented than Smith?

NO Alex is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL, he's just never put it all together

Same could be said about Gerrard. This can go on for days. Fact is, Alex has not shown it on a consistent basis or on a "balls" basis.

i honestly don't know what David Garrard people have been watching. Outside of one really great stretch years ago (and that not even a full season), he's been fairly mediocre. Now he's old and injured and wants a good payday and was released by a team with a worse QB situation than ours.
He's old
He has Crohns disseas
He has major back injury
He's super inconsistent

The Jacksonville Jaguars didn't want his ass back.

/thread.
i honestly don't know what David Garrard people have been watching. Outside of one really great stretch years ago (and that not even a full season), he's been fairly mediocre. Now he's old and injured and wants a good payday and was released by a team with a worse QB situation than ours.
That's the most amusing part, the guy WANTS to get paid, he was quoted as seeking 5-6 mil a year AT minimum, for 3 million more, I'd rather take the guy who is younger, more athletic, NOT injury prone, and is on the upside of his career........rather than the downside.

Oh yeah.....the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS didn't want him back, that pretty much says it all./
Put this thread into the Joecool hall of fame. Garrard is older, has had three back surgeries, will probably be more expensive, has been out of football for a year, is a headcase, and doesn't know the offense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That's the most amusing part, the guy WANTS to get paid, he was quoted as seeking 5-6 mil a year AT minimum, for 3 million more, I'd rather take the guy who is younger, more athletic, NOT injury prone, and is on the upside of his career........rather than the downside.

Oh yeah.....the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS didn't want him back, that pretty much says it all./

Money and if JH didn't coach this team, the 49ers wouldn't want Alex back and probably no other team. Let's get one thing straight, Alex still has a ton to prove no different than the comments about other mediocre QBs.
No.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Put this thread into the Joecool hall of fame. Garrard is older, has had three back surgeries, will probably be more expensive, has been out of football for a year, is a headcase, and doesn't know the offense.

I just find it funny how just about every other QBs abilities are downplayed but Alex has all the potential in the world.
Alex can get better

One could also argue that if Harbaugh was able to turn Alex into an efficient QB, then he can do the same or better with a more talented QB...basically most of the starting QBs in the league that are mobile/athletic.

Outside looking in, there's a reason why Alex Smith gets props, but very little respect in terms of teams being afraid he can beat them.

NO Alex is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL, he's just never put it all together

Same could be said about Gerrard. This can go on for days. Fact is, Alex has not shown it on a consistent basis or on a "balls" basis.
No you can't say that about a 34 year old QB who just came off of a major back surgery

I just find it funny how just about every other QBs abilities are downplayed but Alex has all the potential in the world.

He's 34!!!
Any potential he's had is done and reached

Major exaggeration. We are not talking about Brees here. This is Garrard, whose position was well sumarised by 12b6. I really dont understand your position. Smith played well this season and is with a coach who is a great qb developer. Next season I - and I would imagine Harbaugh as well - expect to see another significant step forward by him. And if it doesnt happen doubtless Harbaugh (who is not so attached to Smith that he will jeopardise his coaching career for him) will doubtless review the situation and consider replacing him. But only, I would imagine, with someone better.
And that seems to me to be a reasonable stance for a fan of the team to take. Smith has done nothing to force an urgent panic change such as bringing in Garrard. Quite the opposite. With the O having little or no development time together he took the reins and led, as many on this site said he couldn't. And there is no doubt in my mind that he earned the right to prove that he can, indeed, develop further and become the player the team needs.
[ Edited by English on Mar 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
I am by no means an Alex hater nor am l an Alex lover. With that said, I'll get to my question. What about letting Alex go, and picking up David Garrard to either be our starter or our backup to Kaep? Just my opinion, he would be a better option filling either role. Go!

no nate davis is the guy to sign
I can't believe this is a real thread. Face the facts haters, Alex is the starting QB for the foreseeable future! Deal with it!
Alex can get better

And fact is Alex Smith is a hell of a lot better option than Garrard
I'm waiting for the inevitable Chad Henne and Jason Campbell threads.................
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
I picked David Garrard of all people because he is a solid qb ,under the radar, and he would be a cheaper option. My dream qbs would be people like Brees, Rodgers, even Eli. I don't know the timeline but I think Kaep will be ready soon. That's why I wouldn't want to tie a lot of money up or sit Alex on the pine again. He is a good dude who has been loyal and true a class act. The NFL however is a business and I would hate to see Alex sit.on.the pine especially if he has a fat contract.

David Garrard wasn't cheap. One of the big reasons why he was cut by the Jaguars last season: his $8+ million per year paycheck.