LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

David Garrard anyone?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by English:
Why does this bother you? You have had your say and got zero support.

That's that.

It bothers me because niners fans are so closed minded. It bothers me that niners fans have forgotten teams used to dread playing us because of our offensive fire power. It's amazing to me how a player who has 1 winning season in his whole career, becomes irreplaceable. If everyone is happy with the mediocre quarterbacking job that has been going on the last 7 seasons then that's fine. I must be on Alex Smith webzone and not 49erswebzone. I want a better qb that's all it doesn't have to be Garrard, just a better qb that can take advatage of this great team we have in place. No one on here argued with actual numbers. All I got was a playoff win (team accomplishment) and injuries. The same people that disagree with me would probably rate troy aikman, Trent dilfer, and Brad Johnson ahead of Dan Marino because of the superbowl wins.
Closed minded? Really? EVery person on this website has an opinion on Alex and every single one of them including Susweel who hates Alex beyond belief would rather see Alex as our starting QB then Garrard. What does that tell you?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

That's that.

It bothers me because niners fans are so closed minded. It bothers me that niners fans have forgotten teams used to dread playing us because of our offensive fire power. It's amazing to me how a player who has 1 winning season in his whole career, becomes irreplaceable. If everyone is happy with the mediocre quarterbacking job that has been going on the last 7 seasons then that's fine. I must be on Alex Smith webzone and not 49erswebzone. I want a better qb that's all it doesn't have to be Garrard, just a better qb that can take advatage of this great team we have in place. No one on here argued with actual numbers. All I got was a playoff win (team accomplishment) and injuries. The same people that disagree with me would probably rate troy aikman, Trent dilfer, and Brad Johnson ahead of Dan Marino because of the superbowl wins.
Closed minded? Really? EVery person on this website has an opinion on Alex and every single one of them including Susweel who hates Alex beyond belief would rather see Alex as our starting QB then Garrard. What does that tell you?

Jim Harbaugh had Gerrard graded high, didn't he? I'm sorry, but the production Alex provided us is not very difficult to replace no different than a 700-900 yard receiver is.
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's that.

Jim Harbaugh had Gerrard graded high, didn't he? I'm sorry, but the production Alex provided us is not very difficult to replace no different than a 700-900 yard receiver is.

You can replace the yards, but can you replace the lack of mistakes?
Originally posted by solidg2000:

That's that.

can you replace the leadership and locker room cohesion?

this team really believes in Alex Smith, and so does Harbaugh. and at 27 there is still a chance that Smith can become a franchise QB. That is not true of Garrard.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

That's that.

this team really believes in Alex Smith, and so does Harbaugh. and at 27 there is still a chance that Smith can become a franchise QB. That is not true of Garrard.

I'm talking about production. There's already enough leadership on the team to regulate cohesion. To the bold, we only need him for 2 years when Kaep is ready to kick him out.

That's that.

I'm talking about production. There's already enough leadership on the team to regulate cohesion. To the bold, we only need him for 2 years when Kaep is ready to kick him out.

garrard might be able to put up similar numbers, assuming he is healthy all season. but there are more benefits to re-signing Smith. Garrard is strictly a stop-gap and his health and general mediocrity might force you into playing Kap earlier than anticipated. Smith is a stop-gap with the potential of development still; if he becomes a franchise QB, we are in the best possible position to trade one of our two young QB's for a huge ransom.

That's that.

garrard might be able to put up similar numbers, assuming he is healthy all season. but there are more benefits to re-signing Smith. Garrard is strictly a stop-gap and his health and general mediocrity might force you into playing Kap earlier than anticipated. Smith is a stop-gap with the potential of development still; if he becomes a franchise QB, we are in the best possible position to trade one of our two young QB's for a huge ransom.

That's a lofty goal considering his production no different than saying Kaep will be ready in 1 or 2 more years.
That's a lofty goal considering his production no different than saying Kaep will be ready in 1 or 2 more years.

in which case he's a more than serviceable stop-gap. i'm just saying there is the potential. He is just hitting his prime; he has Harbaugh; etc. If Smith has hit his ceiling (very possible) then he's here for a few years, and then Kap is ready and we're good to go. If Smith keeps developing, then we have an interesting and lucrative decision to make. Win-win.
Alex can get better
Hell Garrard didn't start till he was 29
Alex can get better

One could also argue that if Harbaugh was able to turn Alex into an efficient QB, then he can do the same or better with a more talented QB...basically most of the starting QBs in the league that are mobile/athletic.

Outside looking in, there's a reason why Alex Smith gets props, but very little respect in terms of teams being afraid he can beat them.

Alex can get better

One could also argue that if Harbaugh was able to turn Alex into an efficient QB, then he can do the same or better with a more talented QB...basically most of the starting QBs in the league that are mobile/athletic.

Outside looking in, there's a reason why Alex Smith gets props, but very little respect in terms of teams being afraid he can beat them.

do you really think that Garrard is more talented than Smith?
Alex can get better

NO Alex is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL, he's just never put it all together
The f**k is wrong with people? Alex Smith leads this team to a comeback in the playoffs and they fall 2 stupid turnovers short of going to the Super Bowl and all of a sudden people want to replace him with some old and injured hack who was looking for 5-6 million a year minimum ANYWAYS? So many many idiots around here its unbelievable.
Alex can get better

NO Alex is probably one of the most talented QBs in the NFL, he's just never put it all together

Same could be said about Gerrard. This can go on for days. Fact is, Alex has not shown it on a consistent basis or on a "balls" basis.

This, $%$%#^ morons.
Share 49ersWebzone