There are 197 users in the forums

18 game regular season

Shop 49ers game tickets

18 game regular season

Leave as is.

4 Preseason games is perfect.
16 reg. season games is perfect.

dont touch anything!
After getting in the playoffs this year, I think a 16 game regular season is long enough.
No, the 4 preseason games are important to the guy's jockeying a roster spot. The move to 2 preseason game's would result in starters dominating most of the playing time, other smaller name players would suffer.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
just take out 1 or 2 preseason games and keep 16 game season

This please
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. 16 is good. Guys are so banged up by the time you reach the playoffs now. It would be worse.

This too
Plus you'll see great record broken left and right and players careers shortened by a year or 2 or even 3.

16 is prefect 18 is way too much on the players
Only thing I would change is get rid of 1 preseason game. Definitely 2 if they go to 18 games but as much as I like more football the quality will go down. Guys who play almost every snap like Justin will be dead by the time playoffs roll around. That or they will start pulling starters with 2 games left and those last few weeks the quality will go down unless there are divisions/seeds still to be won. I would think all the non playoff teams would pack it in.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
After getting in the playoffs this year, I think a 16 game regular season is long enough.

Yep, good point... without playoffs 18 seems great because more football. With playoffs it's way too long of a season for the players who are in the playoffs.
I wonder how players felt about going to 16 games from 14 in 1976....

That would be most telling, because humans have a great way of adapting. A lot of it is mental.

Having said that....I say stick with 16 games, even as much as I love football to death. Only way I think I could approve of 18 games is to increase the roster count by a few players so if you're 13-2 after 15 games, maybe you can put in some backups to key players early.
No, but I'd rather extend the number of playoff spots to 16, and no byes in the playoffs
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
No, but I'd rather extend the number of playoff spots to 16, and no byes in the playoffs

No, really dislike this idea. Too many teams getting in the playoffs devalues the season games. It should be difficult to get to the playoffs.

I would stick with 16 regulars because it seems to work. The length of the pre season doesn't really impact on players health as the starters rarely see much playing time.

Yes, please. More football.
keep it at 16.Injuries are already a big issue for a lot of teams. I can just see it getting worse if the season went longer. Also I can see even more meaningless games in the last few weeks. As the bad teams would have nothing to play for for a lot longer period of time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think if they go to 18 game season, then the roster should be expanded to 65 players with 12 practice squad eligible players and two preseason games.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think if they go to 18 game season, then the roster should be expanded to 65 players with 12 practice squad eligible players and two preseason games.

larger roster would make the most sense. How long has the CFL had 18 games in a season? Seems like that actually works... my biggest question is will 18 ever become more?
if they move to 18 games they would have to expand the roster because of injuries
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No. 16 is good. Guys are so banged up by the time you reach the playoffs now. It would be worse.
Share 49ersWebzone