LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Why Brady can't be compared to Montana

Shop 49ers game tickets
Of forgot.......how do you only score 14 points when you have moss and welker at wr???? Regardless of pressure from the g men, most qbs would of been able to score more than 2 tds against the giants with 2 hall of fame Wrs.

Also this year, the giants d wasn't that good, great dl, avg at best lbs and a good cb, their defense was above average as a whole and Brady only put up 17 points.....again a lot of qbs could of done better. I realize Brady is one of the best qbs in the game today but many qbs with less talent could of performed better than Brady this sb and the last one as well
These comparisons are so interesting.............

and totally unbiased to boot.
Originally posted by sachie23:
When you look at the Brady in the context of other great QB's, I would argue that his championship run does not compare to the likes of Montana, Aikman, and other great "dynasty" QB's. My argument is that 2001-2004 saw some of the weakest competition in the last 30 years.

Montana: I'll look at Montana from 84 on. His 49ers teams had to deal with all-time opponents whose teams were all time teams. Bears, Giants, Redskins were formidable superbowl winning teams. He had to face hall of famers like Marino, Elway and QB's who were close like Simms, Boomer (he won an MVP), Kelly, Cunningham (I'm sure I'm forgeting people here) etc.

Aikman: Moving into the 90's there were great teams and QB's abound. The 9ers were great early on and the Packers were great in the middle. Young, Favre, Elway, Kelly, Aikman were all playing at a hall of fame level.

05-current. We are seeing another influx of hall of fame QB's. Both Mannings, Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Brees are all playing at high levels and will be in the Hall of Fame.

01-04 (3 NE superbowls): Who is Brady/NE competing against here? Peyton for sure but the Colts had bad defenses back then. Other than that we see Warner and Favre at down times in their careers. McNabb was very good but not HoF type player IMO. Who else? What other great player/team was Brady competing against?

I'm not saying Brady isn't a HofF Qb, he is. But I just don't think we can judge him on the same level as Montana and some of the others given what I've stated above. Thoughts?

I agree with this argument completely. To me, the eras that previous QBs played had the greatest teams ever assembled. Even if Brady won both Super Bowls that he lost, he still wouldn't be the equal of Montana.

Montana (and the other great QBs of the 80sand 90s for that matter) came up in an era of some of the fiercest pass rushers and defenses football has ever seen. You have the Reggie Whites, Lawrence Taylors, Bruce Smiths, etc, to go along with great defenses like the Bears, Giants, Eagles, etc. Even the second tier defenses were no joke in those days.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by sachie23:
When you look at the Brady in the context of other great QB's, I would argue that his championship run does not compare to the likes of Montana, Aikman, and other great "dynasty" QB's. My argument is that 2001-2004 saw some of the weakest competition in the last 30 years.

Montana: I'll look at Montana from 84 on. His 49ers teams had to deal with all-time opponents whose teams were all time teams. Bears, Giants, Redskins were formidable superbowl winning teams. He had to face hall of famers like Marino, Elway and QB's who were close like Simms, Boomer (he won an MVP), Kelly, Cunningham (I'm sure I'm forgeting people here) etc.

Aikman: Moving into the 90's there were great teams and QB's abound. The 9ers were great early on and the Packers were great in the middle. Young, Favre, Elway, Kelly, Aikman were all playing at a hall of fame level.

05-current. We are seeing another influx of hall of fame QB's. Both Mannings, Ben, Rodgers, Brady, Brees are all playing at high levels and will be in the Hall of Fame.
?
01-04 (3 NE superbowls): Who is Brady/NE competing against here? Peyton for sure but the Colts had bad defenses back then. Other than that we see Warner and Favre at down times in their careers. McNabb was very good but not HoF type player IMO. Who else? What other great player/team was Brady competing against?

I'm not saying Brady isn't a HofF Qb, he is. But I just don't think we can judge him on the same level as Montana and some of the others given what I've stated above. Thoughts?

I agree with this argument completely. To me, the eras that previous QBs played had the greatest teams ever assembled. Even if Brady won both Super Bowls that he lost, he still wouldn't be the equal of Montana.

Montana (and the other great QBs of the 80sand 90s for that matter) came up in an era of some of the fiercest pass rushers and defenses football has ever seen. You have the Reggie Whites, Lawrence Taylors, Bruce Smiths, etc, to go along with great defenses like the Bears, Giants, Eagles, etc. Even the second tier defenses were no joke in those days.
and those quarterbacks also played in an era where there was no free agency, and thus benefitted from throwing to the same receivers and backs for their entire career. Before the Moss/Welker tandem came to town in 07, Brady achieved his success throwing to guys like Reche Caldwell, David Patten. David Givens. Deion Branch, Troy Brown, etc. And his Rbs have been an even bigger revolving door.

Not say either is better, just trying to show how silly it is to compare them in the first place, there are just too many friggin factors that contribute to the success of a qb to be able to say one is definitely better than the other, not to mention the absurdity of trying to compare two guys from completely different eras.
Dp....
[ Edited by jojomellon on Feb 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM ]
Originally posted by jojomellon:
These comparisons are so interesting.............

and totally unbiased to boot.

Just check where on the Internet you are right now. I am sure the Patriots site will give you unbiased views.
Share 49ersWebzone