LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Intentional grounding?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
The ref didn't get the memo not to call stuff like that on Brady. I worry about his career now.

If Brady wasn't in the endzone then it could have been over looked
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Alex Smith throws about 5 like that each game

No. He throws it away properly, by either scrambling outside of his tackles, where it's legal to throw it away anywhere... or throws it in the direction of a receiver, but in a spot uncatchable (like somewhat out of bounds).

I thought it was strange for Brady to throw it away like that. I was thinking maybe he thought he was outside of his tackles, or he thought his receivers were going deep... but in watching the replay, he barely moved horizontally in the pocket, while he had his eyes downfield and could clearly tell that his receivers were not running vertically. Very bad play by Brady.

However, I do recall one or two times Alex did get called for similar Intentional Grounding in 2011. It's rare - and it's usually the fault of a WR not recognizing the adjustment needed to go deep - but it does happen.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Alex Smith throws about 5 like that each game

No. He throws it away properly, by either scrambling outside of his tackles, where it's legal to throw it away anywhere... or throws it in the direction of a receiver, but in a spot uncatchable (like somewhat out of bounds).

I thought it was strange for Brady to throw it away like that. I was thinking maybe he thought he was outside of his tackles, or he thought his receivers were going deep... but in watching the replay, he barely moved horizontally in the pocket, while he had his eyes downfield and could clearly tell that his receivers were not running vertically. Very bad play by Brady.

I've seen Alex get called for intentional grounding on a play like that before.
  • darum
  • Veteran
most of the time the refs will give QBs the benefit of the doubt when it comes to miscommunications on deep balls, but in this situation it was the right call. brady was under heavy pressure and the WRs had all made their cuts and finished their routes long before he let go of the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone