LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 442 users in the forums

Intentional grounding?

Shop 49ers game tickets
After watching the first half of the Giants/Patriot game, I was struck mostly by the fact that I have never seen intentional grounding called on a QB, where he threw the ball down the field, beyond all players. In other words, Brady did not throw it into the ground, he did not throw it towards the sidelines to avoid a sack, he simply threw it long. So the Giants got a safety and the ball? I've been watching since before the Niners moved to Candlestick and I have never seen that call made. Has anyone in here seen it?
It was the right call
I have. It was intentional grounding cause he threw it away to avoid the sac.
Originally posted by JW40NINER:
After watching the first half of the Giants/Patriot game, I was struck mostly by the fact that I have never seen intentional grounding called on a QB, where he threw the ball down the field, beyond all players. In other words, Brady did not throw it into the ground, he did not throw it towards the sidelines to avoid a sack, he simply threw it long. So the Giants got a safety and the ball? I've been watching since before the Niners moved to Candlestick and I have never seen that call made. Has anyone in here seen it?

When the QB is in the pocket the pass has to be thrown into the vincinity of a receiver, it does not matter if its a inch over the LOS or 50 yards downfield, if no one is there it's intentional grounding.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Originally posted by JW40NINER:

When the QB is in the pocket the pass has to be thrown into the vincinity of a receiver, it does not matter if its a inch over the LOS or 50 yards downfield, if no one is there it's intentional grounding.

The key element of that call was that there was clear pressure on the QB. Without that pressure, it's a no call. But when you chuck it downfield into no man's land to avoid a sack, it's intentional grounding.
It was the right call
Even if I have never seen it
Originally posted by noblood:
It was the right call
Even if I have never seen it

i donot have a quarrel with refs for calling it, nor would i have a quarrel if they didnt (hard to say brady just didnt overthrow brnach)
Alex Smith throws about 5 like that each game
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Alex Smith throws about 5 like that each game

No. He throws it away properly, by either scrambling outside of his tackles, where it's legal to throw it away anywhere... or throws it in the direction of a receiver, but in a spot uncatchable (like somewhat out of bounds).

I thought it was strange for Brady to throw it away like that. I was thinking maybe he thought he was outside of his tackles, or he thought his receivers were going deep... but in watching the replay, he barely moved horizontally in the pocket, while he had his eyes downfield and could clearly tell that his receivers were not running vertically. Very bad play by Brady.
BTW, doesn't this belong in NFL Talk?

Originally posted by Wubbie:
BTW, doesn't this belong in NFL Talk?

That's what I was thinking.
he was in the pocket and threw it to where no receiver was . doesnt have to go out of bounds or to the ground .
Good call.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 99problems:
he was in the pocket and threw it to where no receiver was . doesnt have to go out of bounds or to the ground .
Good call.

this
technically correct call but its almost never called like that.
The ref didn't get the memo not to call stuff like that on Brady. I worry about his career now.
Share 49ersWebzone