LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

2012 Hall of Fame inductees

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
But it was his three years in Foxboro that Patriots fans will remember, beginning with the first game of his rookie year in 1995, when he ran for 102 yards on 19 carries in a win over the Cleveland Browns.

Martin's locker was surrounded by media after the game until Parcells walked by and barked, "Don't be putting him in Canton yet."
When I think of HOF players, I think the greats of the game. Jim Brown, Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and now somehow Curtis Martin?
Originally posted by fister30:
When I think of HOF players, I think the greats of the game. Jim Brown, Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and now somehow Curtis Martin?

Considering that Martin is 4th all time in career rushing yards I think he is deserving of being in the Hall of Fame.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Considering that Martin is 4th all time in career rushing yards I think he is deserving of being in the Hall of Fame.

And considering he is the only RB other than Barry Sanders to rush for 1000 yards in his first 10 seasons in the NFL. Oldest RB in the NFL to win a rushing title(age 31). NFL rookie of the year. 5 time All Pro. 100 career TDs, only 20 players in NFL history accomplished this(not QB's obviously).

IMO he was always one of the most under appreciated RB's in the NFL during his time. Anyone that thinks he doesn't deserve to be in the HOF proves that.

the best things about Martin were that he was durable and consistent. He was never an exciting player. Not that being exciting should be the only criteria (there would never be o-linemen in the NFL, lol), but the Hall of Fame should not just be about numbers either.

The NFL Hall of Fame is already not selective enough, IMO. The players who get in should not just have great statistics but should also be the kinds of players that people will be telling their kids about 20 years from now.

I have nothing against Martin, or his inclusion in the HoF necessarily. He was a class-act and a great player and I'm sure very close to the hearts of Jets and even Pats fans. But watching him I never really felt like I was watching one of the great RB's in NFL history.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

the best things about Martin were that he was durable and consistent. He was never an exciting player. Not that being exciting should be the only criteria (there would never be o-linemen in the NFL, lol), but the Hall of Fame should not just be about numbers either.

The NFL Hall of Fame is already not selective enough, IMO. The players who get in should not just have great statistics but should also be the kinds of players that people will be telling their kids about 20 years from now.

I have nothing against Martin, or his inclusion in the HoF necessarily. He was a class-act and a great player and I'm sure very close to the hearts of Jets and even Pats fans. But watching him I never really felt like I was watching one of the great RB's in NFL history.

Read Boise's post above and it is obvious that he was one of the best ever. Exciting as Sanders? Obviously not. However, the guy was a stud who produced every year of his career.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Read Boise's post above and it is obvious that he was one of the best ever. Exciting as Sanders? Obviously not. However, the guy was a stud who produced every year of his career.

like i said, nothing against him or his inclusion. i know the stats. but i watched the guy's entire career* and can't remember a single play.

obviously, not every single game as I did not watch every Pats or Jets game, but you know what I mean, I think.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone