LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Jermichael Finley

Shop 49ers game tickets
Am I the only person who thinks this dude is one of the most overhyped players in the NFL?

What has he done to deserve any of the "elite" TE labels he gets from the media/press? The Sporting News did a piece on the top 100 players in the NFL, and they mentioned booting Vernon Davis off the list in favor of Finley, who was "the new physical freak TE in the NFL".

All I see looking at his career numbers are seasons of 74 yds/1 TD in 14 games, 676 yds/5 TD in 13 games, 301 yds/1 TD in 5 games, and 767 yds/8 TD in 16 games. 48 career games equal out to 3 full seasons worth. A total of 1818 yds in 3 full seasons is 606 yds per season, and 15 TD is 5 per season. So the guy has been a 600 yds/5 TD TE on average since he entered the league 4 years ago, and he's had a top 3 qb the entire time...

To compare, VD has been about a 700 yd/6 TD guy for his career, yet he's been forced to block for half of it, has been in horrid offenses, and had subpar qb play...
he earned the elite label label from catching passes from a elite QB

hes a #2 TE at best
Definitely overrated. He has the physical tools, but lacks the mental makeup right now. He makes a nice play once in awhile, but drops way too many easy passes. My wife is a Packers fan(), and she has never understood the media hype with this guy. Honestly, he only had 1 good game this year. 3 TDs against the Bears early in the season, and didn't produce much besides that game. Pretty humorous that this guy thinks he should be paid like a top WR also.
1 year wonder
Great pass catching TE. That might be it
He drops passes all over the field. Not a good pass catcher. Definitely overrated.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He drops passes all over the field. Not a good pass catcher. Definitely overrated.

This. He could come in and be a good 2nd or 3rd Tight End and that is about it. He drops passes just like Delanie Walker does.
Bo Bo Finley would be a great name
I hate the name, Jermichael.
Guy sucks

He is overrated, which is why the Packers will probably let him walk and have some other suckers on the hook for the big money he seeks. Green Bay will the snag up a guy like Fleener, Charles or George Bryan and not skip a beat.
imagine if Rodgers had Walker
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He is overrated, which is why the Packers will probably let him walk and have some other suckers on the hook for the big money he seeks. Green Bay will the snag up a guy like Fleener, Charles or George Bryan and not skip a beat.

GB is deep at TE anyways, so yeah they will let him walk.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Great pass catching TE. That might be it

he is trying to be classified as a wide receiver for the purposes of franchise value i.e if pack franchises him he wants the wr top 5 pay, not the te top 5 pay

btw i think vernon davis probably added alot of value to finley's next contract, as davis playoff performance showed how great a weapon a fast moving athletic te can be
Yeah he had that one good year then folks thought he would progress. Then he got hurt. Now that's he's back tight ends are barely part of their offense. He's got elite size and speed but he's not an elite player. Dropped a lot passes this year.
Share 49ersWebzone