There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

It had to be asked eventually...so... "Do you still wish we drafted Rogers over Smith

It had to be asked eventually...so... "Do you still wish we drafted Rogers over Smith

As football fans, you should all know the results of the playoffs this weekend and the history of this tired debate... So let's put it to a vote... if you're not sure... don't vote...
woah... woah...

Hold your horses
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I wouldn't change anything. This season is awesome.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
No, because I've said all along that, faced with Smith's obstacles here, Rodgers may not have turned out any better, maybe worse. Even Brady has admitted he was lucky to be drafted by New England, that if he was drafted by a team like Arizona, we may have never heard of him.

Plus I just don't like Rodgers' personality.
[ Edited by vaden on Jan 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I wouldn't change anything. This season is awesome.

really?
Dude there are SO many variables... but I am going to say the chances that Rodgers would be as mentally tough as Smith AND as willing to stick it out despite all the negatives aren't good. I think if Rogers was drafted he would have seen similar success (or lack there of) and would probably be playing somewhere else right now.

We would probably be 4-12 with David Garrard or something...
This is my very first Alex post ever. I avoided all the screaming and banning since I started reading this site 3 years ago and when I became a member about a year ago.

I'm a 49er fan. Have been my whole life. The good of the 80's and 90's, the disasters of Erickson, Nolan, Sing.

With that said. Alex Smith is my quarterback. I dont pine away thinking about Rodgers, or Brady or Brees. I have hated him when he was terrible, and loved him when he was on. I didnt chant for Carr, or think Nate Davis was the answer. Until he is no longer a 49er, he is, has been and will be my quarterback. Through good and bad. When his time is done, either on his account or that of the front office, I stand with him. Other posistions come and go, I may not like some players (Chilo), but as a fan I root for them when they wear the red and gold.

To ask if I wanted Rodgers over Smith all those years ago is an insult to the man and to the team. He is the quarterback of our team, through good and bad, and we as fans need to support him and not drum up questions 7 years after the fact.

Thanks for the rant.
I personally share frozen49er's sentiment on this, but this is what these forums are about, drumming up questions years later :-)
To answer the question of this thread, yes. Does it mean anything at all, no.
Rodgers is most likely going to spend several years of his career as the best QB in the NFL. He's a very rare talent at QB. I'm not sure I can think of any QBs drafted since 2005 that are better.

But that's not really important. And it's really not fair to Smith that he's continually defined by what Aaron Rodgers is. Smith is his own man and he doesn't have to be better than Rodgers. Is Roethlesberger as good as Brady? No. But he has still won Superbowls.

To put it another way, if I offered you the choice between a Ferrari and BMW you'd want the Ferrari. But that doesn't mean the BMW isn't an awesome car.

Enjoy watching Alex Smith for who is as a player, not who he isn't.
I don't think the Rogers you speak of would have been that player had he been drafted by the Niners. Crap coaching, crap offense, ever changing OC.

Smith is a tough cookie and has taken quite a battering over the years. Rodgers started with two peaceful years to transition and adjust to the NFL and learn from a very good starter.

No guarantee Rodgers would still be with us, or even still in the NFL by now, had he been drafted by us. He may have made it through, but I am clear he would not be anywhere near where he is now.

And I am looking forward to seeing how far Smith can go with quality coaching and a reasonable O.

So I hold.
Ask again after Alex wins a superbowl (so hopefully in 3 weeks). As of now, its gotta be Rodgers. That is the guy I wanted from day 1.

Still love Alex though.
i wanted to draft alex in 05 and im glad we did. who says rodgers is even half as good as smith if we wouldve drafted him and had him get coached by nolan and singletary. i think smiths mental toughness is off the charts. he may not be the fiery tebow type but hes a leader and the team definitely respects him and plays for him. smith looks like the light came on and hes in a place that works for him instead of against him so lets see if you guys still want rodgers a few years from now. smith is just scratching his potential. another year or two in this offense with a couple receivers added to the mix should end this discussion.
i wanted to draft alex in 05 and im glad we did. who says rodgers is even half as good as smith if we wouldve drafted him and had him get coached by nolan and singletary. i think smiths mental toughness is off the charts. he may not be the fiery tebow type but hes a leader and the team definitely respects him and plays for him. smith looks like the light came on and hes in a place that works for him instead of against him so lets see if you guys still want rodgers a few years from now. smith is just scratching his potential. another year or two in this offense with a couple receivers added to the mix should end this discussion.