There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jeff Fisher to the Rams.

  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,897
I think Fisher's a very good coach but mainly for defense. I'm not worried about the Rams, mainly because I don't believe Bradford will ever be a top 10 QB. Everyone glorifies his rookie season but he averaged under 6 yards per attempt against the easiest schedule in the NFL that year. This year his stats weren't much worse, really the same or even better when you account for the team's overall collapse, his injuries and facing the toughest schedule in the NFL, but everyone says he regressed and had a horrible year. Shows how much people are misled by W/L records. Sanchez being another example. He had his best year yet, leading the Jets to their most points scored since he's been there, despite the collapse of their running game and defense, but because their record was worse, everyone says he's regressed. But I digress.
[ Edited by vaden on Jan 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM ]
It's a decent hire. Fisher is highly overrated though. In 17 seasons with the Titans/Oilers, he had a winning record 6 times.
Fisher is a media darling...overrated in my opinion. He will put a solid team on the field, but he's not a difference maker. I'm not sold on Bradford either. He hasn't shown the ability to get the ball down the field, and just like in college he's injury prone.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Good hire. Spagnuolo was a hardass. Players did not like him. Fisher is the opposite - a real player's coach. Rams will be better and looser. There is more talent there than their record showed.

Fisher had some talent at TN recently but he also had the Vince Young fiasco. That created a lot of drama that never reached the surface. He wanted to get rid of him but ownership didn't allow it.

Um what??? "players coach" what exactly does that mean? And Fisher is a lot more of a rigid hard ass coach then a best friend coach.

Players love playing for Fisher. (The opposite was the case with Spag.) Yes, he requires accountability from his players but all players need, and respect that. Jim Harbaugh is very much the same kind of coach. Steven Jackson came out very strongly for Fisher today. Eddie George loved Fisher as well...so did all the other Titans not named Vince Young.

Fisher's problems in Tennessee began when McNair became so injured and ineffective he could no longer perform at a high level. Young came in, a full blown head case, and things went down hill quickly. It is hard to tell how much input Fisher had in drafting Young but someone in the Titans organization screwed up because it became well known four years ago that Young had the same problems at Texas. Someone should have realized that and not drafted him. In any case, Fisher found out what a train wreck VY was and wanted to dump him but Bud Adams would not agree and that eventually led to Fisher's termination. Based on Young's pathetic performance with the Dream Team, it is clear Fisher had the better insight. The Young debacle set that organization back 5 years.

All that aside, the Rams biggest problem last season was not a lack of talent but a lack of healthy players. If they draft Justin Blackmon as expected with their #2 overall pick, Bradford will have a major weapon that will haunt the NFC West for the next 8-10 years. Think what AJ Green meant to Andy Dalton in Cincy. Add in a couple of other high picks to secure the OL, as Fisher will be wanting to do, along with the return of an IR list as long as a rope and the Rams will be a legit team again.

Let's not under-estimate this signing. Jeff Fisher is an A List coach in this league.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,786
Originally posted by dj43:
Players love playing for Fisher. (The opposite was the case with Spag.) Yes, he requires accountability from his players but all players need, and respect that. Jim Harbaugh is very much the same kind of coach. Steven Jackson came out very strongly for Fisher today. Eddie George loved Fisher as well...so did all the other Titans not named Vince Young.

Fisher's problems in Tennessee began when McNair became so injured and ineffective he could no longer perform at a high level. Young came in, a full blown head case, and things went down hill quickly. It is hard to tell how much input Fisher had in drafting Young but someone in the Titans organization screwed up because it became well known four years ago that Young had the same problems at Texas. Someone should have realized that and not drafted him. In any case, Fisher found out what a train wreck VY was and wanted to dump him but Bud Adams would not agree and that eventually led to Fisher's termination. Based on Young's pathetic performance with the Dream Team, it is clear Fisher had the better insight. The Young debacle set that organization back 5 years.

All that aside, the Rams biggest problem last season was not a lack of talent but a lack of healthy players. If they draft Justin Blackmon as expected with their #2 overall pick, Bradford will have a major weapon that will haunt the NFC West for the next 8-10 years. Think what AJ Green meant to Andy Dalton in Cincy. Add in a couple of other high picks to secure the OL, as Fisher will be wanting to do, along with the return of an IR list as long as a rope and the Rams will be a legit team again.

Let's not under-estimate this signing. Jeff Fisher is an A List coach in this league.

Jim Harbaugh is nothing like Jeff Fisher, they are completely different coaches, Harbaugh is an offensive coach and QB guru and Fisher is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust defensive coach. Also im totally shocked a player came out in in support of a recently hired coach, my mind is blown! Jeff Fisher never wanted Vince Young the owner did, so Jeff Fisher decided to undermine him whenever he could to try to get rid of him... Was Vince Young the most mentally tough QB? No. But did Jeff Fisher try to help make Vince Young a great QB? No. Despite that Vince Young was 30-17 in Tennessee, Offensive rookie of the year and 2 time Pro Bowl QB. Jeff Fisher completely unprofessional behavior is what cost him a job that was probably his for life. Could Vince Young of handled things better? Sure, but you have to treat QBs differently, 99% of them are prima donnas.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM ]
Fisher is a good coach. I guess he will also have a say in who the Rams hire as their GM. Good hire for the Rams on the surface, but they have a lot of holes to fill on their roster.
Whew! Rams will now be that team that never gets a top 10 pick or makes it to the playoffs.
Not sure who the rumored OC is for the gig, but they could have the best coaching staff in the NFC West if Williams is the DC and Todd Haley as the OC.
Meh, he'll assemble a nice staff, but they need a lot of work on offense and Bradford has been struggling with injuries.

Seattle is the threat. Anyone at QB for them would be an upgrade. Not worried about Fisher.
I wonder if Fisher will have some pull in the up coming draft.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Not sure who the rumored OC is for the gig, but they could have the best coaching staff in the NFC West if Williams is the DC and Todd Haley as the OC.

lol
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,451
I think the Rams have a pretty good nucleus on offense and if they get Gregg Williams to help on D I can see them battling for 2nd in the division
Originally posted by 9er2k:
I think the Rams have a pretty good nucleus on offense and if they get Gregg Williams to help on D I can see them battling for 2nd in the division

greg gonna be a dc in NO and STL> >?
Originally posted by verb1der:
Damn the Rams are not going to suck anymore, this is not good for the 49ers

Jeff Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches of this era. The media and analysits love him and he gets great press, but it's just not true. He's on the competition comitee and a very likeable guy, but that doesn't really make him a better coach. Eddie George averaged 3 YPC in most seasons, yet he was always the focus of Jeff Fisher's offense. Steven Jackson can expect a very heavy load! He's been to ONE Super Bowl, and didn't win. In 16 seasons, he's taken his team to the playoffs 6 times...6. They had 5 playoff wins, and 3 of those came in their Super Bowl year. So really, one great year is all they had.

Oh and my two favorite Fisher Fun Facts: He's the coach that tried to force Steve AIR McNair to be a total pocket passer. And he's the coach that couldn't figure how to get RANDY MOSS onto the field, because he "played the same position" as Kenny Britt - WR.
Originally posted by Envy:
Love his reasoning for Fisher going to the rams on NFLN. The weakest division. That is super analysis there asswipe!

I don't think Jason LaConfora watches football.